Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Sony has already signed up with a major U.S. Carrier.
Currently Sony only has an ebook store in the US and Canada, so this might be US-only or US+Canada.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Verizon and AT&T will go with Readius. Thats for sure. Readius is primary designed for mobile carriers.

http://ereadgizmo.com/gadgets/verizo...obably-readius
Is it possible to buy Readius in Europe or in US now? I didn't find any companies that sell it yet.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I use the Verizon WWAN network for work and at home/travel use. So far I have had no real problems with finding a signal.

My only complaint is my job bottlenecks the WWAN connection at around a 56k speed. On my personal computer, I get true broadband and sometimes a faster connection than my cable modem.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
As cool as this is, though, it still doesn't solve my problem with Amazon being the 800 lb. gorilla as far as selection goes. And this news also dashes my hopes that Verizon BlackBerries would someday be able to access the Amazon selection with a Kindle app, as iPhone can. Unless someone breaks Amazon's hold on publishers and has the same access to selection, evening out the playing field when it comes to what is available where, Amazon still holds anyone who wants to read a book that is available only there hostage.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It still remains to be seen what B/N will do in the market....My assumption is that Sony users will embrace them.

But what will Sony do with Borders? I haven't seen anything good come from THAT partnership yet. It's been a couple years. =/
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #21
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Is it possible to buy Readius in Europe or in US now? I didn't find any companies that sell it yet.
I suppose that Readius will not be available for end user. They will sell their device directly to mobile carriers. That's a way to keep the price low for such expensive device.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
I suppose that Readius will not be available for end user. They will sell their device directly to mobile carriers. That's a way to keep the price low for such expensive device.
I see. I read the first news about Readius more than one year ago but it is still not available yet..
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
More 800 lb gorillas coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
As cool as this is, though, it still doesn't solve my problem with Amazon being the 800 lb. gorilla as far as selection goes. And this news also dashes my hopes that Verizon BlackBerries would someday be able to access the Amazon selection with a Kindle app, as iPhone can. Unless someone breaks Amazon's hold on publishers and has the same access to selection, evening out the playing field when it comes to what is available where, Amazon still holds anyone who wants to read a book that is available only there hostage.
AT&T and Verizon will be coming out with eBook Readers. Sound good? Think again. They will almost undoubtedly be based on the Amazon model (buy device and then only have one store where you can buy eBooks). It seems to me that with the furor that Amazon has started with its policy... that more of the same is a real step backwards for eBooks

I think just what the industry did not need are major firms with dollar signs in their eyes jumping into the Amazon model. Very soon there may be only Astak upholding Open Format... providing the choice as to what site you want to use to buy eBooks. These firms see a world where they can charge whatever they want for eBooks as there is no worry about competition. Smells to me like a bit of a monopoly... or maybe it just plain smells!!

Robert B
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote