Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I've read, or listened to quite a few ST books. The only two that are sticking out in my head right now are Imzadi and Q-Inlaw, and I enjoyed both. Q-Inlaw was quite entertaining with sound effects, towards the end.

-MJ
Is Imzadi the one about Deanna Troi and Riker? I've been meaning to read that after I read Q-In-Law.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Is Imzadi the one about Deanna Troi and Riker? I've been meaning to read that after I read Q-In-Law.
Yeah, I read it sometime back in the mid-90's. I just loved having the backstory of their relationship. Ok, like most of everything else in the books it isn't canon but I still liked it.

http://www.amazon.com/Imzadi-Star-Tr.../dp/0671867296

I also remembered I listened to a few audiobooks that were Vulcan centric and a couple of Captain Sulu novels as well... I recall liking them, but it has been awhile.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasavru View Post
If you're a fan of a particular series, you might want to start with a couple books specific to that series, just to get the feel of reading Star Trek instead of watching it. Most of the single-novel series specific books are essentially episodes, except in book form.

I wouldn't really worry about reading order, except for the Relaunch books (look them up on Wikipedia or Memory-Beta, the Star Trek non-canon wiki) for the simple fact that they introduce many new characters and events and you'll have no idea what is being talked about. Also, for a series consisted of several books (such as Vanguard which I mentioned in my first post), you should read them in order.

Can't really tell you what specific books to avoid, there are just too many of them. You can just read as many as you can and see what you like/don't like, or read reviews on Amazon or something before you buy them.

One more recommendation: look on places like Craigslist and at garage/yard sales for Star Trek books. You can find large collections of older Star Trek books (mostly from the 90s) for $1-2 each.
Thank you for your advice.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I haven't read any of the newer ones, but from the original series I really liked "Uhura's Song" by Janet Kagan and "Ishmael" by Barbara Hambly.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Just coming from Alan Dean Foster's site : He's thinking about a sequel for Star Trek :
Quote:
...There is a very good chance that I will be doing a follow-up original novel to the Star Trek film. Details as they come....
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I, Q by John DeLancie and The Return by William Shatner are both very good.

I have both of these in signed hardback, (DeLancie is an absolute legend) which is probably the one thing that will ensure the survival of pbooks, its hard work for the author to sign an eReader......

(mebby the back...anyone got thiers scribbled on?)
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I, Q by John DeLancie... also a great one. Thanks for reminding me about that one Cabe, been a while since I've read it.... should re-read it soon.
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The My Brother's Keeper trilogy is quite good.

Star Trek: The Original Series: My Brother's Keeper #1: Republic
Star Trek: The Original Series: My Brother's Keeper #2: Constitution
Star Trek: The Orignal Series: My Brother's Keeper #3: Enterprise

These are written by Micheal Jan Friedman. They take place in the academy and before the first aired TOS episode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #24
Idoine
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

BTW, what is the first Star Trek book ? Is it Gene Roddenberry's one (Star Trek : The Motion Picture) ?
Thanks in advance !
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #25
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Until recently, it was believed to be the James Blish Star Trek Readers (short story versions of the episodes of the original series), and the 1970 novel Spock Must Die!, also by James Blish. But it was recently discovered another novel, Mission to Horatius by Mack Reynolds, was actually the first Star Trek novel, published in 1968 for children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Anything by Peter David is usually a safe bet. His New Frontier series is the only Star Trek I still read (and VERY much look forward to each new book).

Some old favorites include:
Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan
Ishmael by Barbara Hambly
Dreadnought! by Diane Carey
Battlestations! by Diane Carey
My Enemy, My Ally by Diane Duane
Final Frontier by Diane Carey
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I would recommend certainly authors rather than Books. JM Dillard, Peter David, Diane Carey, Vonda McIntyre wrote some of the best books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #28
Idoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Until recently, it was believed to be the James Blish Star Trek Readers (short story versions of the episodes of the original series), and the 1970 novel Spock Must Die!, also by James Blish. But it was recently discovered another novel, Mission to Horatius by Mack Reynolds, was actually the first Star Trek novel, published in 1968 for children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels
Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #29
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
thanks for all the recommendations guys my to read list seems to be growing exponentially lately
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote