Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Some problems making books with Bookdesigner

OK, so I am making my first steps creating fb2 books for my Hanlin with Bookdesigner. I have read HarryT's tuturial, am using the German language even if the book is in English as advised in said tutorial, and am running the BookCleaner scripts created by a member of this forum.

Problems I notice:

- frequently, a paragraph is cut after a Mr. or Mrs. and a new paragraph wrongly starts with the name of the Mr. or Mrs. in question. Is it not precisely what the aforementioned Bookcleaner scripts are meant to fix?
- hyphenation: some weird hyphenations, like re-ally, or sa-y. Is it a common thing in English to hyphen between two vowels? I see that a lot in the books created by Bookdesigner. Just asking because my mother tongue is French, and in French we hyphen the word between syllabes, so we would hyphen real-ly, and we would not hyphen "say" at all.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
The faulty hyphenation is very likely not the fault of Bookdesigner, but of crengine, the software used on the V3 to display fb2 books. The hyphenation algorithms used in crengine seem to be thoroughly broken, or alternatively the hyphenation patterns they use suck ass. And since supplying your own hyphenation patterns doesn't seem to work and there is also no way to switch hyphenation off completely, you're stuck with it for now.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
Problems I notice:

- frequently, a paragraph is cut after a Mr. or Mrs. and a new paragraph wrongly starts with the name of the Mr. or Mrs. in question. Is it not precisely what the aforementioned Bookcleaner scripts are meant to fix?
It is, and it does work.

You need to have the BookCleaner files loaded BEFORE you initially load the book into BD; they cannot be run retrospectively. If you've already loaded the book, I'm afraid the only solution is to go through it and manually correct the paragraph breaks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for your prompt replies. I also now noticed that upon importing a pdf in Bookdesigner, formatting such as italic is lost. Not so happy with that either. If I import into OpenOffice, it is not the case, so I suppose I could import into openoffice, save as rtf, and then import into Bookdesigner, but hell, the more I go, the more steps seem to be necessary...

Is it worth giving a go to that OO plugin to create fb2 I have seen mentioned elsewhere?
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've moved the thread to the "Workshop" forum, where it's more appropriate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
Thanks for your prompt replies. I also now noticed that upon importing a pdf in Bookdesigner, formatting such as italic is lost. Not so happy with that either. If I import into OpenOffice, it is not the case, so I suppose I could import into openoffice, save as rtf, and then import into Bookdesigner, but hell, the more I go, the more steps seem to be necessary...

Is it worth giving a go to that OO plugin to create fb2 I have seen mentioned elsewhere?
If you're speaking Russian, go ahead!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote