Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
leswgnr
leswgnr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Uninstalled 32 bit Calibre - 64 bit now ng

I had both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed on my win7 computer and all was working good. The notes said both versions could coexist. I then uninstalled the 32 bit version and while the catalog look's good, I can't view any of my books, not sure where they are supposed to be but my user\calibre folder is empty. I am getting various other errors including can't find pylib.zip in the (x86) program files/calibre folder .

What's my best course of action? I have all the original ebooks and can start from scratch if needed but of course would rather not.

Thanks,
Les
leswgnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
An error about program files (x86) means that you are trying to run a 32bit version of calibre. I suggest uninstalling both and then installing the 64 bit version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
leswgnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
An error about program files (x86) means that you are trying to run a 32bit version of calibre. I suggest uninstalling both and then installing the 64 bit version.
I'll do that, but does that mean that I have to both rebuild the database and have my ebooks copied into the calibre folder, essentially start over?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
leswgnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, since it's looking for 32 bit programs, thought I'd go the other route and reinstalling the 32 bit version. Afterwards, both the 32 & 64 bit versions work, and I can see where the bookd were stored. Both the catalog and all the books seem fine. BTW, where is the catalog stored so I may back it up?

So, at this point, if I uninstall both versions and reinstall the 64 bit version, is it likely that the catalog and books will remain as they are and accessable, and that I will not need to do anything else after the install?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by leswgnr View Post
Well, since it's looking for 32 bit programs, thought I'd go the other route and reinstalling the 32 bit version. Afterwards, both the 32 & 64 bit versions work, and I can see where the bookd were stored. Both the catalog and all the books seem fine. BTW, where is the catalog stored so I may back it up?

So, at this point, if I uninstall both versions and reinstall the 64 bit version, is it likely that the catalog and books will remain as they are and accessable, and that I will not need to do anything else after the install?
Un installs never touch any Libraries
in addition, uninstall leaves behind all configuration settings and plugins.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
The problem with having both versions of Calibre (32 and 64), is the update notice you get (eg Update found 1.1.0) doesn't distinguish between these versions.

For example, I have Calibre 32 running ver 1.0.0, and then installed Calibre 64, ver 1.1.0. Now whenever I start Calibre 64 I get a message advising there is an update - which there isn't for 64bit Calibre. The update is for the 32bit version which I no longer use.

Personally, I really, really don't want to uninstall both and then install the version I want (64bit). I know I won't lose my libraries, but what about all the other settings in Calibre, the add-ons, custom columns, etc? The manual/user guide says the following which is slightly disturbing comments: "Note that restoring configuration directories is not officially supported, but should work in most cases."

I will give this a go and report back...

UPDATE - 10 mins later

It works

1. Back up the Calibre settings/configuration folder - it will be in your user folder - AppData - Roaming - Calibre (an ordinary copy to another location will do)
2. Uninstall both versions - it may not be strictly necessary to uninstall both, but it seemed cleaner somehow to do this
3. Install Calibre 64bit
4. Run Calibre when prompted - I cancelled all the prompts to specify settings like the location of library
5. Opening Calibre, even if you cancel as above, creates the Calibre settings/configuration folder
6. Close Calibre
7. Copy previously backed up settings/confirguration into your newly recreated user folder - AppData - Roaming - Calibre (replace all when prompted)
8. Open Calibre (64bit) and everything is where it should be - at least it is for me.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Wyndham; 08-31-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by leswgnr View Post
I had both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed on my win7 computer and all was working good. The notes said both versions could coexist. I then uninstalled the 32 bit version and while the catalog look's good, I can't view any of my books, not sure where they are supposed to be but my user\calibre folder is empty. I am getting various other errors including can't find pylib.zip in the (x86) program files/calibre folder .

What's my best course of action? I have all the original ebooks and can start from scratch if needed but of course would rather not.

Thanks,
Les
@leswgnr - to fix the viewer clean out the registry entries referring to Program Files (x86)\Calibre 2, then associate the ebook_viewer.exe in Program Files\Calibre 2 with whatever you want - ePUB etc. You must add any file associations to calibre programs manually, and if you remove a calibre program you should first remove any associations.

If you're not inclined to hack the registry by hand, I suggest you download CCleaner from the Piriform site and use its registry cleaner - I've used it on dozens of systems and its never created any problems, but its cleaned up quite a few.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote