Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Question scan to eBook

Hi, I'm considering the project of taking a book or two I own, that are not available in eINK and then scanning them, filtering through OCR software and then making my own PRIVATE eINK readable books.

Has anyone done this? I'd be curious as to the problems encountered and level of effort it took.

I am eventually going to be down sizing to a small travel trailer, and spend my time on the road. Because there won't be much room for books, I wonder if this is possible.

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
yes it is possible. The Omnibook scanner is good for that as it allows you to get the book better placed on the scanning plate for getting a better scan at the inner part of the book. And for OCR, I suggest Omnipage. I've used it and it is very good. It will allow you to compare the OCRed page to the scanned page and then you can make any corrections needed. It will take a long time to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

If you are looking at purchasing a sheet fed scanner I would suggest avoiding this one : HP Scanjet N6010 Document Scanner.

I purchased it for this very purpose and ended up returning it a few days later. Nothing but problems with jams, double feeds and crooked pages.

I'm still looking for a good way of doing this - might try the above mentioned opticbook scanner next

Rob
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Hi JSWolf, can you please provide a link for the Omnibook scanner - I did a google search and it only seems to come up with a HP laptop. Thanks.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
http://www.pgdp.net aka Distributed Proofreaders should know all about scanning OCRing and creating ebooks.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Pode
Pode began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
On my side, even if Omnipage is good, the tests I have read says that Abbyy FineReader give better results. More, if you have a webcam/camera shot of a text, it does a pretty good job a de-skewing and reading the page !
Pode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
Hi, I'm considering the project of taking a book or two I own, that are not available in eINK and then scanning them, filtering through OCR software and then making my own PRIVATE eINK readable books.

Has anyone done this? I'd be curious as to the problems encountered and level of effort it took.

I am eventually going to be down sizing to a small travel trailer, and spend my time on the road. Because there won't be much room for books, I wonder if this is possible.

Red
You might check this thread or this one for my experiences.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
MustardJeep
MustardJeep began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten/Sony Reader
I'll second what JSWolf said, Omnibook is one of the best out there.

Bought mine a while back for the single purpose of scanning in books so I'd quit looking like I was lugging a small library around with me. The abbyfine software that came with my scanner does a decent job on the OCR. About the only time that it has trouble with text is when something is at a small font size while also in bold and italic at the same time.

Hardbacks with the omnipage are absurdly easy; I really needed a book available once. Managed it in 2.5 hours for around 400 pages. Not including the OCR time as abbyfines batch system boged down when I handed it that many pages at once.

Paperbacks are a different story, it all depends on the binding side margin. Many trade paperbacks still have to be held very flat or the curve of the page going into the binding will still obscure the last character on each line. The larger paperbacks generally however for me have been as easy as most hardbacks.

Long and short of it, your OCR experiance will depend on the quality of your scanner.

Last edited by MustardJeep; 07-24-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
MustardJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Thanks folks. I'll experiment when I return from Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons.

Ralph
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
Please do check that this is legal in your country. It is not legal in the UK - even for books which you have bought!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote