Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Fangles
Fangles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Adding an Owner tag to tag list?

I manage my kindle and my wife's and want to be able to pull up lists of each person's books as we have vastly different interests and I might be managing 4 kindles in the future (on the one machine) and I know no easy way of doing this. Unless someone knows how to do this)

We have: Authors, Series, Formats, Publishers, Ratings, news and Tags so far in the tag browser on the left. Is there a possibility of adding "Owners" so that I can fill in an owner for each book?

Regards, Fangles
Fangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangles View Post
I manage my kindle and my wife's and want to be able to pull up lists of each person's books as we have vastly different interests and I might be managing 4 kindles in the future (on the one machine) and I know no easy way of doing this. Unless someone knows how to do this)

We have: Authors, Series, Formats, Publishers, Ratings, news and Tags so far in the tag browser on the left. Is there a possibility of adding "Owners" so that I can fill in an owner for each book?

Regards, Fangles
There are a couple of approaches you could take. You could use a custom column, you could use a tag.

Or if you want to track by attributes at a higher level than per book such as by author you could create a custom User Category for each of you. Then add each person's authors to the appropriate user category. I put some steps in the post #5 of this thread.

I used that approach for my parents for when they get two Kindles and it seems to work quite well so far. It is only when they get books for a new author that they need to do anything - being to add the author to the appropriate user category for which of them wants to read their books. So very little maintenance required compared to using tags or custom columns on each book. You can create saved searches for the whole category, restrict your library to that search etc if you want. Gotta love that flexibility in Calibre.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert