Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #14911
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Richard Castle & C.E. Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Finished up with City of Ashes and now I'm back to The Derrick Storm Trilogy, 1/2 way through the first one, A Brewing Storm.
I finished reading A Brewing Storm. It ends with a 'to be continued' which suggests to me that the 'Storm' Trilogy is a single story. Anyway I'm enjoying it and will probably continue with it after Christmas (the other two are wish list items)!

So now on to something new to me the first of a series called the Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy. She's kinda' interesting to me as she was born in Homer Alaska (I lived in Alaska for 1/2 of the 60's), writes this Urban Fantasy series about a 27 year old female native American Shaman and Catie Murphy presently lives in Ireland (a lot of Celtic mythology seems to be included in this first book, Urban Shaman). Also my college degree is in Anthropology.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #14912
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next is a Baen freebie: Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon. The first in the Deed of Paksenarrion series, I believe.

Abandoned. I gave it 90 pages but it was more than I can bear.

After my attempt at Sheepfarmer's Daughter, I needed something light so I'm reading the YA book The Boy at the End of the World. It's now only $1.00 at BoB with latest promo code.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #14913
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

After my attempt at Sheepfarmer's Daughter, I needed something light so I'm reading the YA book The Boy at the End of the World. It's now only $1.00 at BoB with latest promo code.
I abandoned it as well a few years ago.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #14914
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep abandoned here too. Hmmmmmm.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #14915
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- 14 by Peter Clines- I loved it! I don't want to say too much about this book because its better going into it not knowing anything about it. Briefly, a guy moves into an apartment building. He notices weird things about his apartment and when he talks to the other tenants, he finds out more and more of the building's oddities. They start to investigate the building and... I can't say anything more. Genre is a bit of mystery, a bit of scifi, a bit of horror.

Currently Reading:

- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (47%)
- The Twelve by Justin Cronin (23%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #14916
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Just Finished:

- 14 by Peter Clines- I loved it! I don't want to say too much about this book because its better going into it not knowing anything about it. Briefly, a guy moves into an apartment building. He notices weird things about his apartment and when he talks to the other tenants, he finds out more and more of the building's oddities. They start to investigate the building and... I can't say anything more. Genre is a bit of mystery, a bit of scifi, a bit of horror.

Currently Reading:

- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (47%)
- The Twelve by Justin Cronin (23%)
Sounds like a book I want to read. Just read a sample at Amazon. I love it when people tell a little bit about the book and how they like it. Thanks Tecweston!
Its on my list!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #14917
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
re: Sheepfarmer's Daughter

Interesting that folks are having this reaction to it. I've now read the entire Paksenarrion sequence, so it's hard for me to put myself back in the place of approaching it for the first time, but I certainly never abandoned it. And thoroughly enjoyed the entire series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #14918
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
re: Sheepfarmer's Daughter

Interesting that folks are having this reaction to it. I've now read the entire Paksenarrion sequence, so it's hard for me to put myself back in the place of approaching it for the first time, but I certainly never abandoned it. And thoroughly enjoyed the entire series.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #14919
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Interesting how tastes differ. It ("The Deeds of Paksenarrion") is one of my all-time favourite fantasy series!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #14920
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting how tastes differ. It ("The Deeds of Paksenarrion") is one of my all-time favourite fantasy series!
The omnibus was one of the books I decided to used a Planet Baen coupon on, before Baen raised the prices. It seemed to have so many glowing reviews. I also got The Legacy of Gird (I can get Paladin's Legacy at the library).

Hopefully I'll be among the ones who like it!
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #14921
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic by Terry Jones. I must have got this back in January 2009, but I can't find a receipt, so I think it must have been a freebie.
Have that one on my bookshelves. Read it years ago. I'm struggling to remember any details, but I thought it was quirky and fun. Interested to read what you thought of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #14922
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Douglas Adams's Starship Titanic by Terry Jones.
Quite fun, in a kind of sub-Douglas Adams kind of way. Enjoyable fluff with a happy ending.

Next up: The Venging by Greg Bear. I bought this one in my great fictionwise spending spree of May 2011 (103 books for $200, in a 60% off sale! I'll miss the grand old days of Fictionwise)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #14923
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Maskerade by Terry Pratchett
On deck: Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #14924
Jake bandana
Jake bandana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paper white
Reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky right now http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCS8V0
and "Me" By Yuaziiqann http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFKTEPM
Jake bandana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #14925
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Tyrannosaurus Canyon" by Douglas Preston (most noted for his collaborations with Lincoln Child). This is the first book in his "Wyman Ford" series, and is a fast-paced thriller about a search for a valuable T. Rex fossil in the canyons of New Mexico. A somewhat implausible story, but a cracking good read. Highly recommended if you're after a bit of light escapism.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote