Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #14836
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kim Harrison & L.W. Patricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished Fated and enjoyed it a whole lot. I'll be adding the other Alex Verus books to my TBR.

Now on to Two Ghosts for Sister Rachael by Kim Harrison. In this short story, Rachel Morgan is only 18 years old and still recovering from the effects of Rosewood syndrome. Two Ghosts for Sister Rachael is contained in the anthology, Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Vicki Pettersson and Marjorie M. Liu.
I finished reading Two Ghosts and liked it a lot. It told me a story about the initial introduction of a major character in the Hollows series. Interestingly it was, as you'd expect in a short story, concise, but still didn't scrimp on details and descriptions and was even divided into 8 chapters. For $0.99 it was a great buy and you get 3 more stories (potentially introducing you to 3 more authors) in the bargain.

Now on to a book I stumbled on from a post on mobilreads. This person's avatar was the cover of a book he (or she) wrote and I found it on amazon in the prime free lending library (its for sale price was only $3.99). So I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-10-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: proofing
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #14837
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I am always reading several titles at once but devoting most of my concentration to one or two. Currently I am concentrating on Walter Lord's Day of Infamy, a vivid retelling of the attack on Pearl Harbor, whose 71st anniversary took place a few days ago.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #14838
Dorca
the Just
Dorca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am reading Popular History of Ireland by Thomas D'arcy Mcgee. There was a hole in my knowledge where irish history is concerned.
Dorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #14839
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm reading Killing Floor by Lee Child. The first of the Jack Reacher novels. Very good so far. I like his personality. Smart and tough.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #14840
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the two first books in Ken Folletts Century Trilogy.
1. Fall of Giants (story spanning First World War)
2. Winter of the world (story spanning Second World War)

Great books. I've got a much better understanding of the history especially about the First World War which I admittedly didn't know much about.

The only problem I had with book 2 was that you have to remember a lot of names and it can sometimes be a hard time keeping track of everyone and especially there relations to the people from the first book.

All in all two very interesting and captivating books. I will definitely pick up the third when it gets out
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #14841
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I've decided to stop putting everything on my wish list that you all are reading... I am up to 23 now and need to stop.

Since time becomes shorter for reading since Thanksgiving and will be even more so until after Christmas, I have decided to start reading a lot of my Christmas themed freebies. They don't require at lot of attention, but are just cute stories to fill in those short, free moments until after the holidays.

Nothing remarkable but what I call Christmas overload reading.

Oh, I did pick up The Roswell Conspiracy by Boyd Morrison - although the others are traditionally published, this one is self-published in the USA and traditional published in the UK.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...84#post2331984

I totally enjoyed his other books that were offered in our Deals forum when he first started.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44129
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #14842
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I thought it was a great (if unoriginal) premise that the authors just didn't deliver on. It felt like one long scene-setting pre-amble, and I kept waiting for the story to start. I would imagine there will be a sequel, as they still have a story to tell (I hope).
Exactly! The wheels kept spinning - but the story went nowhere!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #14843
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Utopia" by Lincoln Child.

Lincoln Child is better known for his collarorations with Douglas Preston, but this is a standalone thriller by him. The story involves a high-tech theme park being held to ransom by a gang of criminals; their fiendish plan is thwarted by a robotics expert working as a consultant at the park. Extremely enjoyable - I thoroughly recommend it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #14844
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I finished Wool Omnibus yesterday, too. I loved the story, couldn't put it down!

And now I started First Shift. Want to know what happened before Wool!
I've heard so many good things about Wool that I am going to have to read it soon!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #14845
JacksonGirl
JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JacksonGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CyBook Odyssey HD FrontLight
I'm currently reading Jack Of Diamonds by the recently passed Bryce Courtenay. I'm not usually a fan of first-person literature, but this is shaping up to be a fairly cute book so far.
JacksonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #14846
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just finished City at World's End by Edmond Hamilton. More human psychology than science and written at a 4th grade level except for 3 words. Fortunately, I enjoy such early 1950s sci-fi stuff.

Next is a Baen freebie: Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon. The first in the Deed of Paksenarrion series, I believe.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #14847
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Another fun read, but it is time to read something a little more challenging. I am not sure what yet though. Probably finish some non-fiction I started a couple months ago and left, Christians and the Common Good by Charles Gutenson. "How can Christians be active in public life without getting mired down in political polarization and controversy?"
Finished that tonight. He didn't answer a couple of the hard questions (not really surprised), but it was an interesting take on things. That it lines up ok with most of what I believe helps I am sure. Non-fiction always takes me longer than fiction to read, so this was a longer read for me despite not being a very long book.

Time to start Tower of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, book 13 of the Wheel of Time. Hopefully I can finish it before the 31st to complete my 2012 goals, but if not I should certainly* be able to finish it before January 8 which is when I should receive the next and final book. That is my real deadline.

*Provided the Mayans were wrong of course!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #14848
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The Mayans are never wrong.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #14849
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm enjoying Jane Harris' novel Gillespie and I, an Overdrive library download.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 12-12-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add info
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #14850
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've started the 'Wool Omnibus.' So many folks spoke so highly of it that I figured I'd give it a go. I'm about 1/4 way through it, and looking forward to more!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote