Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

I want a sense of community!!! (Yes, I'm very needy!)

I'm currently reading my first Hobb book, "Assasin's Apprentice," and I'm loving it.

I just bought the newest bundle of her books, and plan to buy the earlier bundle, and also the other 2 in the immediate series that I'm reading.

Her work is very engaging and thoughtful. The pace is leisurely and thought-provoking, and her characters seem real: they reflect and think.

I highly recommend the book I'm reading. From what I've read about the other 8 titles in the overall series, she is not to be missed!

So let's talk about BOOKS!!!!!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm reading Weber's Hell Hath No Fury at the moment, and I plan to read his In Fury Born next (I've read the 'original' version, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he did with it). I always recommend anything by Weber.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Luckily the HHNF CD contains all Honor Harrington books :-)
I currently read books from the Project Gutenberg Science Fiction CD (see http://www.gutenberg.org). No wonder because i built that CD myself.
I already contemplate an update for the CD. The SF book classics are coming in from Distributed Proofreaders like crazy.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have read the first 2 trilogies by Hobb. One of the best fantasy I have read.

I am reading Hearts in Atlantis by Stepehn King at the moment.
I thought it might be interesting to read Salem's Lot (I finished it a few days ago) and Hearts in Atlantis before I read the last book in The Dark Tower series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Robin Hob work is great, I love it too. I'm currently reading Lies of Locke Lamora, but I find it hard to get into.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm reading Failure Is Not an Option

The thrilling story of NASA's Mission Control teams that guided the "Apollo" spacecraft through successful lunar landings is recounted by "Apollo 13" flight director Gene Kranz. Published on the 30th anniversary of the "Apollo 13" mission.

Also the the first Honor Harrington book, and Pilgrims Progress.

My progress on all three is very slow as I haven't actually spent much time reading recently. I really look forward to getting back to reading more.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well... actually I'm reading in paper at the moment. I'm reading Issola by Steven Brust. I highly recommend his Vlad Taltos series (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, etc.) They are fantasy, the characters are nicely convoluted, they are funny (except Teckla, which was gloomier in tone than the others), and I've really been enjoying them. But, sadly, they are not available in "official" ebook format (or even unofficial, except for the first few). All of which underscores what I still think is the main limitation of ebooks: variety.

Now that I have my iLiad, I'm setting up my eBookwise 1150 to loan to a friend who's about to go on a week of vacation, so she won't have to carry so many books. I'm loading it up with books we've been talking about during our morning and evening commutes together. I think she's becoming a convert to the digital way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've looked at Brust's books in the store a few times, but I haven't quite made the plunge on them -- not had long enough without publications with my "approved" authors (the ones I know I like), I s'pose. Your recommendation makes it a bit more likely that I'll give him a shot, neko.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
mdbenoit
Enthusiast
mdbenoit began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 71
I'm reading an advance reading copy of J. C. Hall's Lady of the Lakes (Fantasy). And if I can make a shameless plug, my new alternate reality novel, Synergy, was put up today at fictionwise (yay!). The ebook is out before the paper book. I like it.
mdbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Still in Asimov's 'Foundation' 15book series. Looking forward to CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars'.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Say! There are many threads popping up that cater to the same, exact subject. We should have a permanent book forum in the Frontpage dedicated to that.
Alex?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Like this one? Or do you have something else in mind?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
e-books: Russian-Amerika by S. Compton, Melusine by S. Monette
p-books: Before They Are Hanged by J. Abercrombie, Bone Song by J. Meaney
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Yvan, are the rest of those Asimov books available for download somewhere? I bought the first three in a bundle from the Sony Connect store, but haven't seen the rest of them anywhere.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Like this one? Or do you have something else in mind?
That's good but it does not prevent repetition. Our presence here is case in point. I'd like to see it in the blue menu bar, between Forums and Control Panel.
But that's only my two bits.