Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebooks at CES (pt 3)

This is the 3rd in my series of extracts from my CES notebook. If you find this useful, plese tell these companies that you heard about them from MobileRead.

Pocketbook
This is a Ukraine based software developer that has released its own firmware for three different ereaders ( Pocketbook 301, 301+, and 360). I'm told they will also bring their new liseuse, the Pocketbook 302. Pocketbook doesn't have its own booth; its actual location is the booth of its American distributor Western Graphics.

Prologic
They will be bringing their large screen reader, the Que.

Aluratek
This is a late entry into the e-reader market. Aluratek is a maker of consumer electronics, and they only started selling the Libre a few months ago. The Libre itself is a rebranded Chinese ebook reader, the M218. I would call this company an up and comer; about a month ago they released a firmware update that adds Adobe DE support.

Ectaco
This company's main product is translators and translation software, but they also have 2 ebook readers. Both devices are based on the M218. One of the models (Jetbook) is identical to the Libre. The other (Jetbook Lite) differs in that it uses AA batteries and has support for eReader format.

Foxit
This is the PDF company, of course. They released their ereader at the beginning of the year. A few weeks ago they released a new firmware update that added support for eReader format. According to TeleRead, they really screwed up. You should click through and read that post.

TruView Digital
This is a digital picture fram company. According to their product listings, thye have an ebook reader. I've tried and failed to reach them for more information.

Universal Microelectronics

This company doesn't have an ereader per se, but it's on my list because it has netbooks and handhelds that run Android.

Shenzhen Bamboo Technology

This is another company that doesn't have an e-reader, but it's on my list because I'm curious about its 7" tablet.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Another possibility would be to see if Qualcomm is going to have a Mirasol demo. I haven't heard that they are, but the technology seems really promising, and would be cool to see in person.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Another possibility would be to see if Qualcomm is going to have a Mirasol demo. I haven't heard that they are, but the technology seems really promising, and would be cool to see in person.
Ooh, thanks. That one had slipped by me.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Can I request you peek at the Touch Book from Always Innovating?

I think this might be another of those 'comprimise' devices that might be useful as a netbook, a tablet, and an ereader, but your opinion would be much appreciated.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Can I request you peek at the Touch Book from Always Innovating?

I think this might be another of those 'comprimise' devices that might be useful as a netbook, a tablet, and an ereader, but your opinion would be much appreciated.
I don't think they will be there.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
From their website, Irex will be there. Maybe someone could probe for the non-appearance of the 800.

Of course Nate does not think a single screen reader is much cop any more
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
From their website, Irex will be there. Maybe someone could probe for the non-appearance of the 800.

Of course Nate does not think a single screen reader is much cop any more
Now, that's interesting. Irex isn't listed as an exhibitor. I checked, and they are in the Qualcomm booth.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Did you list Netronix somewhere in your list? They will have a large booth.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you list Netronix somewhere in your list? They will have a large booth.

Dale
Do you know the booth number? Netronix isn't listed as an exhibitor.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you know the booth number? Netronix isn't listed as an exhibitor.
Astak will be in the Netronix booth and other Netronix clones. It may be under a different name

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Astak will be in the Netronix booth and other Netronix clones. It may be under a different name

Dale
Astak has its own booth, so I guess Netronix will share it. Also, Interead (Cool-ER) and Pocketbook have their own booths.