Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Bolsa
Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Question Which way is easier ?

Two options:

1/. Get the Kindle PaperWhite , then root it, then install s/w (OK...) to read mobi, epub , PDF.
or
2/. Get the Nook GlowLight , then root it, then install s/w (Kindle Reader) to read mobi, epub, PDF.

which option is easier ?

BTW it a must that I need dictionary on both mobi and epub to lookup words.

Many Thanks.
Bolsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsa View Post
Two options:

1/. Get the Kindle PaperWhite , then root it, then install s/w (OK...) to read mobi, epub , PDF.
or
2/. Get the Nook GlowLight , then root it, then install s/w (Kindle Reader) to read mobi, epub, PDF.

which option is easier ?

BTW it a must that I need dictionary on both mobi and epub to lookup words.

Many Thanks.
It is a lot easier to use option 3:
3/. Remove DRM, import book to calibre, convert books to both epub and mobi, sideload books to reader of choice.

Benefit is that you can use any reader you want, not just the ones that are (easier) able to be hacked. Also once you remove the DRM no future update will take away your existing library. If some horrible accident happens tomorrow and no more books can be freed from their DRM and the readers are unhackable, then you are out of luck with option 1 and 2. Option 3 let's you keep what you got - you just need to decide where to buy new books from.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Worth noting, since you mention dictionaries, that the Kindle has the best dictionaries around, by a long way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Worth noting, since you mention dictionaries, that the Kindle has the best dictionaries around, by a long way.
Excellent point. Also worth noting that the dictionary may not work on a Kindle when it is hacked with epub reader installed for reading epubs.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Once the books are de-DRM'ed and converted with Calibre, you can just email them to your Kindle from within Calibre and they will be in the cloud. (You don't need to do this with books brought from Amazon). You will be able to use all the features of the Kindle with them, including dictionaries, whispersync, Goodreads, etc. It really is easy.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And sometimes books can work in tandem on the Kindle. I have the KJV of the Bible on my Kindle for example and I also have the Bible Encyclopedia which Amazon also sells. Sometimes when I want to look the meaning of something in the scriptures up I am shifted automatically over to the Encyclopedia. Not sure if that would happen if it weren't that both were on an unrooted Kindle together. I don't know how many cases of that type of connection there are between books but it likely wouldn't happen if things were jailbroken I'd guess.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say that? I'm really curious. Are there multiple dictionaries? I haven't noticed the dictionary on my Fire HDX being better than, say, the raft of dictionaries that came with my Sony T1.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Why do you say that? I'm really curious. Are there multiple dictionaries? I haven't noticed the dictionary on my Fire HDX being better than, say, the raft of dictionaries that came with my Sony T1.
They are by far superior on the Kindle. Amazon is using the top of the range Dictionaries (The Real Academia in Spain, Oxford for english, Duden for German). I used the PRS-T1 for a while, and there is no comparison. BTW, the dictionaries on my Fire HD6 are the same as the one on my Voyage, so maybe you should check yours on your HDX and make sure you have the newest versions offered by Amazon. I work a lot switching between 4 languages and dictionaries are very important to me, and some are just way better than others.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
They are by far superior on the Kindle. Amazon is using the top of the range Dictionaries (The Real Academia in Spain, Oxford for english, Duden for German). I used the PRS-T1 for a while, and there is no comparison. BTW, the dictionaries on my Fire HD6 are the same as the one on my Voyage, so maybe you should check yours on your HDX and make sure you have the newest versions offered by Amazon. I work a lot switching between 4 languages and dictionaries are very important to me, and some are just way better than others.
Sony also use the Oxford Dictionary for English, but not nearly as large a version of it as the Kindle has. There are numerous words that the Kindle will find, but the Sony won't (or at least, that was the case at the time I had my PRS-350, and I doubt that Sony have improved the dictionary).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote