Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #14866
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I'm currently reading John Grisham's The Racketeer, which I enjoy and thanks to Gazella, I decided that my next read will be Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.
I have The Racketeer on my Kindle which I'll probably read after I finish And Then There Were None. Glad you're enjoying it
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #14867
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Short story I read last night:

The Prophet from Jupiter - Tony Earley

Wow! This is a modern day classic IMO. 4.5/5

I read it in the Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction (1999 edition)

It's available on line here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/7117960/Th...t-From-Jupiter

Last edited by kennyc; 12-15-2012 at 07:13 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #14868
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
The Black Box by Michael Connelly.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #14869
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mortal Instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished L.W. Patricks' Shadow of Wrath and enjoyed it though it was a little darker than I might have liked. I liked it enough so that I'll probably read his next book when it's released.

I was looking at videos on YouTube and found a trailer for a movie to be released next summer called City of Bones and thought to myself, 'That's the first of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series'. So I decided to read it next.
I completed reading City of Bones and enjoyed it so much that I went and picked up a copy of the next one in the series, City of Ashes and have begun reading it.

Oh, I agree with all the And Then There Were None comments I've seen here recently!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-15-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #14870
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since I enjoyed 'In Short' so much I just got two follow-up books

In Brief - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...ls_o02_s00_i00
and
Short Takes - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...ls_o02_s00_i01

Both focused on short creative non-fiction (In Brief is focused more on the personal/memoir style)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #14871
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started The Racketeer by John Grisham.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #14872
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm almost done reading the Wool omnibus. A great read. I think Hyperion might be next.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #14873
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the last book Pelya in the Dralin Trilogy by John H Carroll. I liked it

Books in the trilogy:
1. Dralin
2. Ebudae
3. Pelya
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #14874
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
cod-Shakespearean with 'thy' and 'dost' for no reason that I can tell.
(The worst offence, as far as I got, was a sentence of dialog starting "Thee will ..." )

Now I'm reading the third book of the Petaybee series by Ann McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Power Play.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #14875
Martyn Taylor
Martyn Taylor began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T/X, Acer Ikonia, Kobo mini
Tinytown by Darby Gallagher, Smashwords.

Got this one as a recommendation from a friend. Science fiction is not usually high on my reading list but this definitely tops a "most enjoyed" stack.

Bitingly satirical take on a dystopian England in the not too distant future. Grotesquely larger than life characters with a little guy hero against the bad Big world. Failure to pay size insurance gets you shrunk and sent to Tinytown of the title. Dark humour with gut achingly funny descriptions. Brilliant!

Last edited by Martyn Taylor; 12-16-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Martyn Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #14876
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished A Handful of Dust - by Evelyn Waugh - a wickedly funny, tragically sad melange of allegedly civilized English people savagely hurting one another - captured in Waugh's brilliant prose.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #14877
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav, one of the most interesting and understandable accounts of Quantum Mechanics I have ever read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #14878
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav, one of the most interesting and understandable accounts of Quantum Mechanics I have ever read.
Excellent!
a great book!
maybe a bit dated?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #14879
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Excellent!
a great book!
maybe a bit dated?
Probably is dated but it had the best description of the Uncertainty Principle I have ever read. Also, great job explaining Special and General Relativity.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #14880
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Probably is dated but it had the best description of the Uncertainty Principle I have ever read. Also, great job explaining Special and General Relativity.
I'm sure most of it is still relevant.

It's been a while since I read it (and unsure if it has been updated or anything).