Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #76
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
Hard truth for thought. . .

For those of us very, very, small minority who never and will never own a kindle of any sort and are reading addicts, can we see ourselves, stop purchasing ebooks from Amz?
I will. There's no point to buying an eBook if I can't sideload it onto my Kobo.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #77
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Does Amz pays so well that an author would bound his/her/other pronouns works for life to that one entity?
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #78
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I also have one game that I can never play again because the installer phones home to a website that no longer exists and won't let me proceed past that.
If it's old enough, somebody might have made a fix for it by now.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:42 PM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Does Amz pays so well that an author would bound his/her/other pronouns works for life to that one entity?
No. They just sell vastly more than all other vendors combined. So many authors don't see the point in bothering with others.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:42 PM   #80
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
KDP Select (which includes higher royalties & Kindle Unlimited) pretty much binds the author to sell exclusively on Amazon. I consider it anticompetitive shit.
Advert
Old 01-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
About 1/3rd to 1/2 of our sales is outside Amazon, because we don't go for KDP Select.
Partly Amazon having 90%+ of English ebooks market is the fault of publishers and authors not bothering to publish elsewhere.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #82
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

*scratching my head* How could that be good business sense if authors want to make a living from their work? In essence one can hardly blame Amz when authors willingly agree to such nonsense.

Though I note that some authors do sell their works on their own website- not a link to Amz. I guess those are the ones who haven't put all their selling rights in Amz exclusive basket.
Which means, I'll go an author's site to see if purchasing other than from Amz is available.

Last edited by C-novice; 01-08-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #83
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
I've seen multiple videos of indie authors saying they do earn more from being Amazon exclusive. Not that Amazon gives their authors more percentage, but it's easier and cheaper to get published on the author's part. Less hoops to go through.

I think Amazon is just too big. There were a lot of small publishers I used to follow 10 years ago that had to shut down because of Amazon. They just couldn't compete. Not just with prices, but also with convenience.

Recently, there's this Sanderson drama with Audible. A few authors wanted to follow his lead but their publishers outright said no. They can't afford to not publish through Audible. Almost all of the publishers these days rely on Audible for their audiobook services.

Sad reality is most indie authors just can't afford to not publish through Amazon. Traditional publishing is so gatekept.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #84
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I've seen multiple videos of indie authors saying they do earn more from being Amazon exclusive. Not that Amazon gives their authors more percentage, but it's easier and cheaper to get published on the author's part. Less hoops to go through.
KU also pays royalties per page-turn, if I remember right.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:00 PM   #85
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
KU also pays royalties per page-turn, if I remember right.
Yea. I've seen some posts telling readers to make sure to flip through the last page of the book.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #86
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
. . .Traditional publishing is so gatekept.
Which isn't helping and since they too sell on Amz and is fostering DRM, they wouldn't care either.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #87
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Yea. I've seen some posts telling readers to make sure to flip through the last page of the book.
Incredible

Will not, can not stop reading even if I no longer purchase ebooks from Amz.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:22 PM   #88
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Historically, DeDRM wouldn't remove the DRM from Kindle Unlimited books and there's a few bug reports about this that essentially ended in "if you like the book enough to keep it, go buy it." I'm not sure if the new maintainer follows the same policy.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #89
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
. . . "if you like the book enough to keep it, go buy it." . . .
Of course. I do agree with that wholeheartedly but can one now read books purchased on Amz on anything than a kindle or kindle apped? Am I right?
Old 01-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #90
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can still remove the DRM, but you need an old Kindle registered to your account, as the only way to get the old DRM that's been cracked is to use an old Kindle (at least for some books). In other words, if you want to read Amazon books on your Kobo, you must also own an old Kindle just to make DRM removal possible on books that you can't download with the old Kindle for PC.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote