Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
added epub, now wanted to get metdata

I added a bunch of epubs to calibre. Now I wanted the metadata from within the epubs also in calibre.
How can I do this?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Normally when you add an ePub to Calibre it WILL use the metadata from the file unless you tell it not to do so. What makes you think the metadata in the ePub is different to what Calibre is showing?

The other way around is more common in that metadata updated in Calibre has not yet been updated in the ePub. Calibre normally only updates ePub metadata inside the ePub file if the file is exported or a conversion to ePub is run.

Last edited by itimpi; 11-23-2011 at 02:27 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

You are right - I configured Calibre not to add the books with metadata - only filename.
That's because often the metadata eg title within epubs are set wrong. So if I add an epub and pdf I will often get 2 books (not merged).

So I decided to add booky only with filename "metadata".

And now I want to extract the description (if exists) from these epubs to calibre.

Is there a way to extract some (not all) metadata from epubs and update calibre-db?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
And now I want to extract the description (if exists) from these epubs to calibre.

Is there a way to extract some (not all) metadata from epubs and update calibre-db?
You can't be selective, but what metadata you can get is available one book at a time via the Edit Metadata window. Select a book, open the edit metadata window, select the format then click on the I icon to Set metadata for book from selected format. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edit_metadata.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	79278  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
salines
Zealot

Thanks dwanthny.
That worked.

But I don't want to get the whole metadata, because sometimes there is really bad data inside....
I set the data manually for a lot of books and I don't want to add eg genres from epub-metadata to the book-metadata of calibre.
Same to author or title field.

It would be great to configure that function like the metadata download plugins, you know.
If it is configurable it would be also possible to do bulk metadata change.

What do you think, is it possible to add a feature request? (Don't know where...)
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks dwanthny.
That worked.

But I don't want to get the whole metadata, because sometimes there is really bad data inside....
I set the data manually for a lot of books and I don't want to add eg genres from epub-metadata to the book-metadata of calibre.
Same to author or title field.

It would be great to configure that function like the metadata download plugins, you know.
If it is configurable it would be also possible to do bulk metadata change.

What do you think, is it possible to add a feature request? (Don't know where...)
The reverse of what you asked.
Read about Fix EPUB plugin (the Calibre.Plugins section of MR) so that the book gets Fixed once you have good metadata
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
salines
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The reverse of what you asked.
Read about Fix EPUB plugin (the Calibre.Plugins section of MR) so that the book gets Fixed once you have good metadata
You are right, maybe this is better... I will try this.

I only wanted to avoid to download eg the description/comment of books if there is a description inside an epub.
Second is that I'm not English so it's sometimes hard to get/download a good comment/description.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You are right, maybe this is better... I will try this.

I only wanted to avoid to download eg the description/comment of books if there is a description inside an epub.
Second is that I'm not English so it's sometimes hard to get/download a good comment/description.
I only speak English.
Sometimes it is hard to get/download a good comment/description.

That is why I do each Metadata search by Hand and hit "Cancel" if what I get is worse

You can also customize Each source to what item of the available metadata types are used.
Do look at all the setting options in Preferences: Sharing: Metadata download.

BTW I like the Idea of having the some of same options when importing a new book Some internal tag lists are excessively bloated
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
salines
Zealot

You're right sometimes inside epub and outside (metadata download) metadata are "not fine".
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
This all sounds similar to a request I have mumbled about here a few times about not wanting to get the "date added" from the ebook metadata when adding to the library. To which Kovid's response was that he wanted to implement a more general solution allowing the user to configure which things should be imported. So it is a "known request" in that regard, but AFAIK not something high on Kovid's priority list unfortunately at the moment.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
And I mumbled once about wanting an easy way to retrieve information from the metadata in the epub ....

Two tedious workarounds I use occasionally:

To just look at the metadata, open the book viewer, the "i" button displays the metadata from inside the epub --- but you can't select & copy

To grab a piece of it:
As dwanthny described -- set metadata for book from selected format in the Edit Metadata window -- then select the desired comment/whatever, copy to clipboard, click "cancel", re-open the edit window, paste, save.

Too tedious to use often, but does the trick.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
So it is a "known request" in that regard, but AFAIK not something high on Kovid's priority list unfortunately at the moment.
It definitely isn't, patches are most welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
salines
Zealot

I tried yesterday but it isn't working for me: book by book metadata isn't a workflow for hundreds of books.
What I need is a bulk operation.
  1. add books by filename
  2. Define which metdata should come from the epubs/books metadata. (This doesn't work.)
  3. Then I could define which metadata should be downloaded. (This is very good!)