Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #241
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If everything is working correctly, this should be the case. A soft-hyphen is just a special type of invisible character that can be removed like any other.

By the way, don't the Kobo readers hyphenate books natively already? I have read more than once that they have a live hyphenation dictionary on board for many languages.
There are two cases : kepubs and epubs. kepubs (which i prefer to read because of in-book stats, header, etc.) don't hyphen correctly when trailing punctuation. Typically the hypen is one letter before his right place... The same happened with epub but it seems better since the new 3.15.0 firmware released at the end of april (but I need to test this assertion thoroughly).
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 AM   #242
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
There are two cases : kepubs and epubs. kepubs (which i prefer to read because of in-book stats, header, etc.) don't hyphen correctly when trailing punctuation. Typically the hypen is one letter before his right place... The same happened with epub but it seems better since the new 3.15.0 firmware released at the end of april (but I need to test this assertion thoroughly).
By "when trailing punctuation", do you mean punctuation after the word being hyphenated? Or maybe you mean the word is after the punctuation. I have seen complaints about the hyphenation including recent mentions of it being one character out, but I haven't seen mention of a pattern like this. In any case, if this is a consistent error, it should be reported to Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #243
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By "when trailing punctuation", do you mean punctuation after the word being hyphenated? Or maybe you mean the word is after the punctuation. I have seen complaints about the hyphenation including recent mentions of it being one character out, but I haven't seen mention of a pattern like this. In any case, if this is a consistent error, it should be reported to Kobo.
I mean the first case, when there is punctuation after the word which has to be hyphenated. The example I get under my eyes now (in french) is : "L'immeuble s'est eff-ondre." (The building has collapsed) The correct hyphenation pour "effondré" is ef•fon•dré". Each time there is a dot, comma, colon, or semi-colon, I got this type of error. I you need more exemple, just ask

(cf. http://www.ushuaia.pl/hyphen/?ln=en)

(But again, since 3.15.0, it happens only in kepub
=> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151)

[EDIT : ]
ok, i've done all the tests there :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=1

Last edited by cramoisi; 05-04-2015 at 06:38 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #244
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hello, this only seems to work sometimes and I don't know what I've done wrong. At first it didn't work at all and all of a sudden it did. The column, though, doesn't display anything even though I've followed the instructions to a T, so I tried removing the hyphenation to see if it wrote that into the column but I discovered it stopped working again. I restarted calibre and nothing happened.

edit: nevermind, one has to actually click on the format; it being highlighted isn't enough.

Last edited by alvareo; 09-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #245
Masteryeoj
Masteryeoj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
This is really an awesome plugin. However, the text search is completely broken in all azw3 books (converted from epub, some from mobi) I used this plugin on. The search results are totally different from the words searched. My Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen is on the latest firmware 5.6.5, and I have the 64bit Calibre also on the latest version.

Edit: Nevermind. Everything works perfectly now after my Paperwhite finished indexing.

Last edited by Masteryeoj; 09-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Masteryeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #246
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
[PATCH] Command-line support

So I thought I needed command-line support (ironically, I was wrong -- I wanted to add hyphenation to autodownloaded periodicals, but of course periodicals only work in MOBI format and discretionary hyphens are only supported by the AZW3 reader -- thanks, Amazon).

So I wrote it. Only halfwitted for now, specifically it only uses the configuration you set from the GUI (you cannot set your own) and it always uses only the English dictionary, though fixing the latter should be a trivial argparse away. But it works, or appears to.

Patch is here: http://www.esperi.org.uk/~nix/ht-0.0.8-hyphenation.diff
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #247
dragonkore
dragonkore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just updated my Voyage with 5.6.5 which comes with a new typography engine that is supposed to hyphenate. So to be clear, that means this plugin is no longer necessary, right? The Kindle firmware should now be smart enough to automatically hyphenate.

EDIT: After some reading, it looks like the hyphenation only works for books purchased through Amazon, and all it does is what this plugin does: add soft hyphens.

Last edited by dragonkore; 09-11-2015 at 02:31 PM.
dragonkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #248
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonkore View Post
Just updated my Voyage with 5.6.5 which comes with a new typography engine that is supposed to hyphenate. So to be clear, that means this plugin is no longer necessary, right? The Kindle firmware should now be smart enough to automatically hyphenate.

EDIT: After some reading, it looks like the hyphenation only works for books purchased through Amazon, and all it does is what this plugin does: add soft hyphens.
You also get kerning with typsetting enabled eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #249
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
And just to be precise, we know that books in the new KFX format are hyphenated, we do not yet know whether the mechanism for achieving this is added soft hyphens.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
And just to be precise, we know that books in the new KFX format are hyphenated, we do not yet know whether the mechanism for achieving this is added soft hyphens.
It could be that the new rendering engine does it on the fly with KFX. We just don't know yet.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #251
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Of course, with the Kindle Voyage (or with anything > Paperwhite 1 with firmware 5.3.4) there is just as much option for hyphenation of periodicals as there always was: zero, because you can only soft-hyphenate AZW3s but periodicals only work if they're MOBIs. Thanks for getting in ixtab's way so much that JBPatch became impractical, Amazon, would it have killed you to just implement hyphenation in MOBIs yourself?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #252
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Oxt dictionaries for Hyphenate this!

Hi, I recently formatted my computer, and lost the .oxt files for Polish and English I was using to hyphenate epubs. Tried to utilize this dictionary file, but it did not work. Are there any links on the forum to such oxt files?

PS. I presume it is still impossible to hyphenate KEPUB files?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #253
Vampyr
Vampyr began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
For polish try this http://chomikuj.pl/lechoo.net/gad*c5...1770730637.dic works for me.
Vampyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #254
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The ACCESS renderer used to render kepub has hyphenation capability built-in. You just need to find a hyphenation dictionary for the language you are using if one does not come with the Kobo firmware.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #255
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
hi

Using command-line?

I just bought a PW3 some days ago and discovered this hyphenation problems... For the time being, I use Calibre GUI to convert EPUBS from my library. I also have to do the same thing for hyphenation...

I would like to use command-line to batch these two things together
1. - convert the books in a directory from EPUB to AZW3.
2. - hyphenate them
3. - before adding them to the Kindle.

I am a Linux user.

What would be the best way to achieve this goal?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hypenation, hyphenate this, hyphenation, spaces