Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
rubberbucket
rubberbucket began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Most customizable tablet for ebooks

I've got a Nook Tablet right now - finding, though, that the more books I get, the more I hate its functionality. There are over 300 books in my library right now and try as I may, I just can't organize them in a way that is easy to manage.

I both buy and download my books. It's nice that the purchased ones show up at the top of my library and are labeled as "New". But as for the ones I download (and import through Calibre just fyi), those get added into the mix of existing books and it's become increasingly difficult to separate the read from the unread. Even when I sort by "date added" on my Nook, for whatever reason some things that should be at the top, end up at the very bottom. Lots of scrolling. Lots of annoyance.

Tried to solve the confusion by making shelves ... but that's a pain in itself. Lots of tapping and scrolling. Thought creating shelves for all my book series would be helpful, but because I've got a shizload of books, it made for a shizload of shelves. My Unread shelf is obviously at the bottom so even MORE scrolling.

Tried to solve THAT problem by creating a shortcut of the Unread shelf to my home screen. Turns out my Nook doesn't even have that capability.

Is it too much to ask that an ebook library be capable of easily labeling books read and unread? Like email! You get it, it's unread. You open it, it's read. You want to mark it as unread again even after you've opened it, two clicks away and BOOM - done.

What are my options here?!
rubberbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest using Calibre for maintaining your ebook library and keeping track of what's read and unread. For easier than trying to do it in the reading app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbucket View Post
What are my options here?!
An iPad with the Marvin reading app.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
rubberbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
An iPad with the Marvin reading app.
Holy. Smokes.

This looks like way more than I could have ever hoped to find! You just made my day, you are a champ!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Or an Android tablet with Mantano reading app. Very easy to find and tag books. Almost as easy as with calibre.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Get a Nook HD and put Mantano reader on it. Best resolution in the 7" size, and you can add custom fonts to Mantano Essentials, which you can buy for $2.99 in the Play Store. I like that app better than any of the others I have tried (which is most of them).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I must admit that the Marvin reading app is a great reader. I just wish they made it for Android devices as well.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

Tried to solve the confusion by making shelves ... but that's a pain in itself. Lots of tapping and scrolling. Thought creating shelves for all my book series would be helpful, but because I've got a shizload of books, it made for a shizload of shelves. My Unread shelf is obviously at the bottom so even MORE scrolling.
Rename your "Unread" shelf "AA Unread" or "1 Unread". That should bring it up to the top of the stack. That's what I did on my T1 for my "Already Read" collection. Should probably work the same for anything that alphabetizes.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Underscores are useful, too. They sort before letters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
rubberbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Get a Nook HD and put Mantano reader on it.

The only downside to the Nook HD is that it isn't recognized on my MacBook when I open Calibre. My sister's got a Nook HD and I quickly discovered that little issue when I tried putting some of my Calibre books on it just last week. The device just wouldn't show up so it was a little problematic trying to decipher what was and wasn't on her Nook already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I must admit that the Marvin reading app is a great reader. I just wish they made it for Android devices as well.
Yeah, I quickly realized there is a considerable price difference between iPads and other e-readers. And I learned my lesson with buying the newest smartphone - I still only use it to call and text. My Nook's no different in that I only read on it. Hard to decide if buying an iPad Mini is worth it if I'm only reading with it.

Although I AM pretty fed up with my elibrary ... I might just have to save up because Marvin looks real nice, clean and easy for all my ebooks.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The only downside to the Nook HD is that it isn't recognized on my MacBook when I open Calibre. My sister's got a Nook HD and I quickly discovered that little issue when I tried putting some of my Calibre books on it just last week. The device just wouldn't show up so it was a little problematic trying to decipher what was and wasn't on her Nook already.
You could simply manage the ebooks via the SD card, not with Calibre. Keep them all filed the way you want on the SD card, use Mantano or another file manager to browse over to the book you want and open it with Mantano or your favorite reading app.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote