Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
cromulent742
cromulent742 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Font size question

I'm leaning towards purchasing a PRS-300 and after playing with a demo unit in the store, I found (like many other people) that the small font is a bit small for my taste while the medium font is a bit large.

Some people are suggesting that you can change the font size on your reader simply by change the font size while converting formats in Calibre. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case? Thanks in advance.
cromulent742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, you can set the base font size to a larger size. You can try different sizes until you get one that works best for you.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
To get more font sizes, you can also increase/decrease font size within the document on a PC. This way the font sizes of the reader will give you new sets of size
(Just in case the built in sizes do not suffice)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
To get more font sizes, you can also increase/decrease font size within the document on a PC. This way the font sizes of the reader will give you new sets of size
(Just in case the built in sizes do not suffice)
Would you explain how to do this? I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean open the book file and increase or decrease the font size using Sony's Reader Library software?

All my books are on an SD card, does the Sony ebook reader have to be connected to the PC for this?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I don't know if the library software is capable of doing this, but maybe it is.
But I really meant opening the file in a word processing program. MS Word or openoffice should do the trick.
If you have a pdf, you can just select all the text and then dump the text into a document. Then you can change the font and size to your needs.
After doing so, just print out the document using something like freepdf or so and it will create a pdf with the adjusted font and size.

You can either connect the reader to the pc and get the files from there or just use a card reader. What I would do though is making a copy of the file you want to change first. This way the original keeps intact in case the output does not meet your expectation. There's some trial and error in this, but as soon as you have one document adjusted so that it fulfills your requirements, you know the settings an can apply them to other documents, too.

I hope I could help

Have a great day.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Ah, I understand now. Thanks for making that clear. I thought you had found a new way of adjusting the font size in an .epub file.

Whenever I stipulate a font size in my html documents and then convert to .epub, I find I do not have any option to change the font size at all on my Sony PRS-505.

I usually omit the font size (just stating the font-family), convert with Calibre to .epub and then the Sony gives me the choice of 3 font sizes.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I thought you had found a new way of adjusting the font size in an .epub file.
You can use the Calibre software to change the font size. Using Calibre try setting the "base font" size to 13, then using Calibre convert "epub to epub". Experiment with changing the base font size until you find one you like.

I also found (that by following the instructions in the thread below) that changing from the Sony default font was an BIG improvement in the reading experience.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87332

As suggested... First I installed the Russification update... (love the clock) then installed the font modification. To keep it simple I made a copy of the default Sony css file for backup and saved it (in case I needed to change it back). Then I copy / pasted the css code provided by maxbookworm. Looks great!

Last edited by Elton Noway; 07-25-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote