Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Kindle owner about to buy alternative

To Amazon.com:

I have a Kindle 2i. I love it. We are in the market to buy a second eReader device. But, at present it will NOT be a Kindle. Why?

Why is because of Public Library books via Overdrive.

The Amazon.com Kindle store is great. I even just added a magazine subscription. We read MORE borrowed library eBooks than purchase.

So Amazon, how could you turn this pending purchase around to be another Kindle?
1) Provide an interface between Amazon.com and Overdrive which format shifts and delivers via WhisperNet.
Imagine a button on Overdrive.com that says deliver to "My Kindle". The books would still be protected and time limited.
OR
2) Create your own eBook rental site like BlockBuster and NetFlix.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
pat.indie
Enthusiast
pat.indie is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, enTourage eDGe, 10" ASUS Netbook
I wish Amazon fulfilled either of those two wishes. I did buy a second device (partly) to be able to read library e-books.
In fact, would it be so hard for Amazon to add epub support? They already support MOBI/PRC and PDF. Why not a third format?
pat.indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Adding support for non-DRM'd ePub wouldn't address the Overdrive issue. And I can't blame Amazon for not wanting to pay the license fees to Adobe that would be required to support Overdrive.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Adding support for non-DRM'd ePub wouldn't address the Overdrive issue. And I can't blame Amazon for not wanting to pay the license fees to Adobe that would be required to support Overdrive.
AFAIK they've already paid the licensing fee. Aren't they using the Adobe SDK to provide PDF support?

The thing with adding DRM'd ePub/PDF support would be that they'd open up the device to people buying from other sources of DRM'd books. Not sure that's in their business strategy at this point.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I like the library book aspect of the Kobo; I like the richness of the Amazon bookstore and the full features of the Kindle. So, I have one of each.

I'd really like Amazon to support ePub; but things are fine as they are for the time being. Over time, DRM will wither out or become transparent -- I don't care which. Perhaps Kindle delivery of library books via Whispernet will include a small charge to the participating library, and a slightly smaller fee to Overdrive ... to compensate Amazon for the deliver costs / service. Overdrive makes it up in volume; the library sees higher usage at a modest uptick in cost; Amazon delivers an even better reader experience. Yes, it could work.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK they've already paid the licensing fee. Aren't they using the Adobe SDK to provide PDF support?
I don't think it's the same. Overdrive is an entirely separate product and would be a different licensing fee.

Supporting Overdrive would also take a lot of, well, support, and it wouldn't provide any financial benefit to Amazon. It's also not consistent with the "keep it simple" model Amazon has tried to keep to with the Kindle.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I don't think it's the same. Overdrive is an entirely separate product and would be a different licensing fee.

Supporting Overdrive would also take a lot of, well, support, and it wouldn't provide any financial benefit to Amazon. It's also not consistent with the "keep it simple" model Amazon has tried to keep to with the Kindle.
Overdrive is just a distributor that provides ebooks (and other things) to libraries and also to retailers like Books On Board (Ingram Digital/Lightning Source is another). The DRM is the same as any place that uses Adobe DRM for ebooks (Sony, Kobo, etc.). You don't license Overdrive, you license the SDK from Adobe which AFAIK Amazon has already done (they just haven't enabled DRM support in their PDF support).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
whitearrow
Guru

Even if you're right (which I still sort of doubt -- until proved otherwise, I can't believe Adobe would include DRM and all it includes in one license fee), there are still support issues, not to mention it being inconsistent with Amazon's fundamental business of selling books.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I wish they filled two wishes
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I considered picking up a used Sony 505 for months just for the Overdrive books. I finally went with a Sony Pocket when the price dropped so much but I still kinda want that 505 with the slightly bigger screen.

But I STILL prefer the Kindle reading experience so I understand your position. Our library hasn't purchasing many mobi books the past couple of months. It definitely seems to be turning toward ePub.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
This is an intentionally obscure post, so it doesn't get deleted. Google ineptepub. Calibre for subsequent conversion.

[EDIT: I guess I didn't need to be too obscure. Here's a thread here on mobileread.]

Last edited by jj2me; 06-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
This is an intentionally obscure post, so it doesn't get deleted. Google ineptepub. Calibre for subsequent conversion.

[EDIT: I guess I didn't need to be too obscure. Here's a thread here on mobileread.]
Does this technique still work after the 2.5.3 update?
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
Does this technique still work after the 2.5.3 update?
I don't own a Kindle (though $140 refurb is tempting), so can't test to be positively sure, but nothing above involves the Kindle. It's stripping out the DRM from secure epub, then converting epub to mobi using Calibre. Then sideload I guess.

Look here for a nice tutorial and links on the DRM stripping part. Post #3 there is great.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I do this all the time to read library books on my Kindle, one step was left out though, once the time has expired, I ALWAYS delete the book off my Kindle, without exception.

When I finish reading the book or it expires, I remove it from the Kindle. Just my two cents. Good Luck!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
While I am willing and able to make Overdrive public library eBooks work on my Kindle, my partner is definitely NOT.

Had Amazon provided an interface to read Overdrive library books, we would not have ordered the WiFi Nook yesterday. It would have been the $189 Kindle 2i. I like the Kindle a little better than the Nook.

I like the Amazon store. I don't mind terribly being tied to this one store - as long a non-DRM Mobi and PDF can be side loaded.

But now, Amazon has lost my partner for future eBook purchases and magazine purchases. 90% of her use will be from the public library. But, that 10% purchase will likely come from B&N - not Amazon.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote