Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #1
avggeek
avggeek began at the beginning.

Device: 2022 iPad Air, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Finding Book Series with only 1 book

Hi folks,

I often pick up the first book in a series to give it a shot, and because I got distracted (or I did not like the book), I don't read anymore in the series.

I'd like to search for books that are part of a series and have only 1 book in that series in my calibre library, as a way to keep track of these (and maybe even clean up ones I never intend to pick up again).

I can see that there is a series total count in the Series Tag Browser "Manage" screen but I'm not sure how I can find this information through a search query - if that's even possible.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be most welcome!

Version info: Calibre 5.44
avggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sort the tag browser by number fo books (click the configure button at the bottom of the tag browser). Then you can esily see all series that have only one book by expanding the series entry in the tag browser.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2022, 02:15 AM   #3
avggeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
sort the tag browser by number fo books (click the configure button at the bottom of the tag browser). Then you can esily see all series that have only one book by expanding the series entry in the tag browser.
Thanks for the suggestion! What I was looking for something closer to this view:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoyalTS_HS8SPEb7b6.png
Views:	93
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	194710

However in this view I can't actually manage the books or see details of the books. I wanted to create a search that was based on the data as shown in the screenshot but could be managed as a saved search.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try series:true and series_index:=1

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
avggeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try series:true and series_index:=1

BR
Ooh almost what I'm looking for. This query seems to return the 1st book from a series, but it also includes series that have more than 1 book from the series in my library. I'm looking for series that one and only one book in the library.

I tried to write a query like so: series:true and series_index:!>1 but it seems like Python only supports "!=" as an operator.
Advert
Old 07-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can do this with the Action Chains plugin. Attached is a chain that generates and executes a search for series with only 1 book. Add a keyboard shortcut and it is easy to execute.

Another way to do it would be to use an action chain that:
  • finds the number of books in any series
  • writes the series book count to a custom column in each book
  • does a search for the custom column == 1
Something like this might be needed if the search string generated by the attached action is so long that calibre chokes on it. I don't know what that length would be. I suspect it is very large.
Attached Files
File Type: zip series_1_book.zip (537 Bytes, 168 views)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
avggeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can do this with the Action Chains plugin. Attached is a chain that generates and executes a search for series with only 1 book. Add a keyboard shortcut and it is easy to execute.
Sorry for the delay in replying. It definitely took me a while to figure out how to import the chain but once I figured that out, it works great. 1-2 false positives but apart from that it's pretty fantastic.

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avggeek View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying. It definitely took me a while to figure out how to import the chain but once I figured that out, it works great. 1-2 false positives but apart from that it's pretty fantastic.

Thanks a lot!
You are welcome. I do wonder about the "false positives". What is it finding that it shouldn't?

FWIW: in the current calibre beta (5.99.12) and in the next release of calibre you can do this using a template search. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35#post4235735
Old 07-09-2022, 03:59 AM   #9
avggeek

Quote:
You are welcome. I do wonder about the "false positives". What is it finding that it shouldn't?
If you look at the screenshot below, you will see it is listing "A Rare Book of Cunning Device" [Rivers of London 6.5] as the only book in the series in the library:

Name:	RoyalTS_Ei7KQRO5yP.png
Views:	99
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	194808

However, if I clear the search results, you can see there are actually several books in the series in the Library:

Name:	RoyalTS_LcOaWXWk14.png
Views:	100
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	194809

That's the one I've spotted so far (though I haven't been validating each result).

Quote:

FWIW: in the current calibre beta (5.99.12) and in the next release of calibre you can do this using a template search. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35#post4235735
This is very exciting! And very convenient for me that the example you've provided is to find series with only 1 book :-)
Old 07-09-2022, 05:20 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you look at the screenshot below, you will see it is listing "A Rare Book of Cunning Device" [Rivers of London 6.5] as the only book in the series in the library:

Attachment 194808

However, if I clear the search results, you can see there are actually several books in the series in the Library:

Attachment 194809

That's the one I've spotted so far (though I haven't been validating each result).
Looking at your images, most of the books are in the "Peter Grant" series. #6.5 is in the only book in the "Rivers of London" series. Should the series name for #6.5 be changed to "Peter Grant"?
Quote:
This is very exciting! And very convenient for me that the example you've provided is to find series with only 1 book :-)
There have been requests over the years to be able to find books using criteria that span the library, e.g., authors contributing to more than one series; series with more than one author, authors that appear only as co-authors; singleton series, tags, publishers, etc. 'Series with one book' was the easiest example to make because I had just done something similar in Action Chains.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:22 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Looking at your images, most of the books are in the "Peter Grant" series. #6.5 is in the only book in the "Rivers of London" series. Should the series name for #6.5 be changed to "Peter Grant"?
There have been requests over the years to be able to find books using criteria that span the library, e.g., authors contributing to more than one series; series with more than one author, authors that appear only as co-authors; singleton series, tags, publishers, etc. 'Series with one book' was the easiest example to make because I had just done something similar in Action Chains.
The series is actually called Rivers of London. All the other listed as Peter Grant are incorrect.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-09-2022 at 05:25 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The series is actually called Rivers of London. All the other listed as Peter Grant are incorrect.
I simply have a Custom Series column, that I can put the alternate name in.

FWIW A number of series have changed their name (officially) over the years.

Note I did make a Grouped search (preferences: Searching) that links the columns
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:29 PM   #13
avggeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think at some point this will called the Peter Grant series(?). I typically take Series names via the Download Metadata plugin or by searching Goodreads. So it's not typically my own invention when it comes to Series names.

Either way my thanks to you & chaley for spotting the problem with the mismatched series names, I've corrected the other books in the series to follow the right name and that's fixed the issue with the Action Chains search.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think at some point this will called the Peter Grant series(?). I typically take Series names via the Download Metadata plugin or by searching Goodreads. So it's not typically my own invention when it comes to Series names.

Either way my thanks to you & chaley for spotting the problem with the mismatched series names, I've corrected the other books in the series to follow the right name and that's fixed the issue with the Action Chains search.
Goodreads has a lot of mistakes in their listings. This is just another one of them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote