Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #31
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
On another note entirely...

Anyone seen a 600 in the wild in the UK yet?

I'm thinking of heading over to waterstone in Canary Wharf to see if they have a display up yet.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #32
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
It's actually not as bad for us as "normal". As least for me.

A lot of products that come to the UK at a $1-£1 mark-up.
Really? I can't remember stuff being priced 1:1 for a long time, either way it's such a shame that sony are just playing it safe, trying to make as much as possible per sale rather than taking a braver approach and trying to seriously increase the size of the overall market in europe while they still don't have any competition as far as mainstream products.

I guess with them not running the actual ebook stores in europe they don't get the same benefit from competitive pricing that they would in the states, but again that seems short-sighted too as now would seem the ideal time to try and tie up publishing deals that gave them the right to sell more globally via their current ebook store.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Really? I can't remember stuff being priced 1:1 for a long time, either way it's such a shame that sony are just playing it safe, trying to make as much as possible per sale rather than taking a braver approach and trying to seriously increase the size of the overall market in europe while they still don't have any competition as far as mainstream products.

I guess with them not running the actual ebook stores in europe they don't get the same benefit from competitive pricing that they would in the states, but again that seems short-sighted too as now would seem the ideal time to try and tie up publishing deals that gave them the right to sell more globally via their current ebook store.
Yep- it's the right moment. There are a lot of markets (like Italy :P ) that see very little in terms of ebookstores (I can count proper sites on my hand without using all my fingers...). I know that there are probably a lot of issues with international copyright and so on, but that's what they have lawyers for no move, no money.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is a serious error in their comparison table at
http://www3.waterstones.com/wat/imag...duct_table.pdf

They say the Pocket Edition PRS-300 has playback and picture view functionality.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony generally price things competitively between the US and UK. When the PRS-505 was launched in the UK, the UK price was pretty well exactly what it cost in the US with the current exchange rate, plus VAT of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #36
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Yep, I collect robots (Or I did until I got a mortgage), and my housemate more specifically collects Transformers...

And most are still 1:1:

An example. Optimus Prime, leader class (from the recent movie)

US:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3463203
$44.99

UK:
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/T...-Prime(0072008)
£44.99

Oh and I went to the Waterstones at Canary wharf. They have a nice new display case for "Ereading"

But it's empty. I checked behind the counter and they said they would be on sale from the 10th of September (which we already knew). He then checked to see if they would get display models any earlier. But they were listed for the 10th too :-(

Which is a bit of a pain, as an expat friend is visiting the UK at the beginning of Sept and said he would pick one up for me if I wanted it. But I don't want one until I've seen the contrast and glare for myself.

Last edited by Riocaz; 08-26-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
On another note entirely...

Anyone seen a 600 in the wild in the UK yet?

I'm thinking of heading over to waterstone in Canary Wharf to see if they have a display up yet.
Not yet. I popped in to the local Waterstone today and asked them. They said they expect the new readers on 10th Sep.

Last edited by astra; 08-26-2009 at 10:41 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #38
Riocaz

Yea same as Canary Wharf. Not even display models before the 10th.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #39
j4m6f6
jamie
j4m6f6 began at the beginning.

Device: none
WH Smith have them on pre-order too

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-34170779.html

£159 for the 300 and £219 for the 600. Sadly I think they only deliver to UK addresses.
j4m6f6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #40
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is a serious error in their comparison table at
http://www3.waterstones.com/wat/imag...duct_table.pdf

They say the Pocket Edition PRS-300 has playback and picture view functionality.
Not anymore. They must have fixed it.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote