Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
clothbot
clothbot began at the beginning.

Device: Hipster PDA, PRS-505, DR1000S
DR1000S tear-down photos?

Has anyone seen or done their own tear-down photopsy of a DR1000S?

I'm curious to know if there are any existing 'place-holder' spaces in the S-model for however they plan on implementing wireless in the SW.

Thanks!

Andrew.
clothbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I haven't seen any tear downs. I don't think anybody wants to void their warranty to do one. They might not start showing up until the DR has been out long enough that the early adopters are outside their warranty period.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200

Yup, the combination of high price, limited availability and fairly high likelyhood of having to return it for repair during the warranty period make it very unlikely somebody will be so brave...
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Isamu
Baby eBookworm
Isamu began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
I've actually wanted to open my DR but I am unable to find the first step. I've tried yanking on the silvery sides under and above the side buttons (they seem a bit loose and have play) but I can't get them off. I've tried looking under the feet for any screws and can't find any and I can't even pry the case apart from any sides. I've given up trying. Unless someone can point me in the right direction as to the first step in getting this thing apart, I'll do it!
Isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
I have a suspicion that the two narrow slots on the back towards the top may be some kind of latch mechanism, but then it would probably require a special tool to unlatch them (maybe two at the same time even)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I started & my initial impression is that it is just clipped together, however after loosening the top & bottom, I couldn't see how to get the sides open & as it was late, the device is new etc, I re-clipped & left it for later (ie a year)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Isamu
Baby eBookworm
Isamu began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
How did you unclip the top and bottom? just some gentle force?
Isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Basically an extremely thin, flat, object close to the expansion slot & SD card slot. The top and bottom aren't difficult to prize apart gently, but you still have to address the sides. As I wasn't interested in going any further as yet, I left it at that point.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
clothbot
clothbot began at the beginning.

Device: Hipster PDA, PRS-505, DR1000S
I finally decided to take the plunge and ordered a DR1000S on Tuesday. It should be arriving tomorrow if the UPS tracking info is correct. After some arbitrary break-in period to catch manufacturing defects I'll try popping the lid for a photopsy as well.
clothbot is offline   Reply With Quote