Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How fragile is your Kindle? (only for Kindle owners)
I'm extremely careful with it and it's never broken. 45 38.46%
I'm not all that careful with it and it's never broken. 59 50.43%
I'm not all that careful with it and I broke it. 3 2.56%
I'm extremely careful with it and I broke it! 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It's good to hear that it can take a few knocks and still work.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #17
raccemup
raccemup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I am very careful with my Kindle as I am with all of my electronics. However, I am very clutsy by nature and I have dropped it twice now. The first time was when I first got it and it fell out of the cover and off the couch. It landed face down on the hardwood floor but didn't break. The second time, I was "multi-tasking" and carrying my laundry pile with my Kindle on top. It fell off the top of the pile of clothes in my arms and landed on the carpet. It was in its cover, survived and it's still fine.
raccemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've seen my flatmate drop his a few times, hasn't broken yet! As for mine, when it arrives I will be treating it with kid gloves
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Well, I went and dropped my Kindle today, and it was not in the case, and it didn't break. I also forgot to take it out of my car yesterday and we had below zero wind chill, but it worked fine when I brought it inside. Maybe I am hoping the hub will buy me K2 if I break it!
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #20
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That might protect the screen against scratches, but I suspect that it will be no protection whatsoever against the type of "shock damage" that's likely to fracture the screen substrate and render the device unusable. The outer screen is pretty tough - you'd need to quite seriously abuse it to scratch it, I suspect! It's not like PDAs which have an easily-scratched touch-sensitive layer as the top layer of the screen.
This is the truth. I saw a video of a guy stabbing his Sony Reader with a pair of scissors (don't ask me) and it took quite a bit of force to puncture the plastic part. Even after he did that, he turned it on and the only damage was the holes where the scissors went through.

As far as dropping it goes, it really depends on how it lands. You can drop it from a very high point and it will bounce around and be just fine. Or you can drop it a small distance and bam, no more ebook reader
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Thanks for the stories about dropping your kindle and it still working. That was pretty much what I was wondering about. I would certainly not want to drop it, but I must say I drop my cell phone all the time.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I would suggest that dropping one in the toilet is right out, however.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
djb3500
djb3500 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Water not a problem, leaning on mine killed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
My kindle fell out of the cover it came with the first week I had it. It hit the floor from about 4 feet, of course a heartstopping moment. It falls out of bed at least once a week. I've slept on it a few times. It goes skiing in my Camelbak so it's fairly well protected that way.

My first Zune was broken by an overlyzealous flight attendant cramming my carry on into the overhead. I have learned my lesson and Zunes and Kindles stay in my hand from now on.

My biggest fear is water. I've lost I don't know how many pagers and cell phones to water damage. The biggest culprit is the devices falling out of pocket into the toilet. I don't anticipate that happening with my Kindle, but still I don't go anywhere near a bathroom with my Kindle.
Mine fell out of my pocket, case open and face up during TORRENTIAL rain (that flooded 20,000 homes, washed away cars & houses). Found two hours later with no problems at all. Then leaned on a pillow with K3 under it (in a case). Cracking noise. Dead K3.
djb3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I dropped my K1 in the parking lot while in its cover and it was just fine. I keep my Kindles in covers and try not to toss them about and sit on them. They have traveled with me across the US and internationally without any problems. They have been on the metro and on busses without a problem.

I wouldn't want to sit on it or let my dogs play with it but other then that it is a sturdy little device. I know around 15 people with Kindles and so far only one person has had to get a return and that was due to the K2 sun fade problem. No one has had a Kindle break and all of those Kindles have flown, many have been on international cruises, many are in houses with children under the age of 10, many in houses with pets.

It is a robust device.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I don't have mine in a case ever. I put it in the outside pocket of my bag regularly, carry it in jacket/trouser pocket and have dropped it a number of times.

No problems so far.

Obviously when it's in my bag I don't throw it around too vigorously and when it's in my trouser pocket I don't sit down till I've removed it.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I don't have mine in a case ever. I put it in the outside pocket of my bag regularly, carry it in jacket/trouser pocket and have dropped it a number of times.

No problems so far.

Obviously when it's in my bag I don't throw it around too vigorously and when it's in my trouser pocket I don't sit down till I've removed it.
You're asking for trouble. It's only a matter of time until you get it. I really REALLY would suggest that you get a case for your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're asking for trouble. It's only a matter of time until you get it. I really REALLY would suggest that you get a case for your Kindle.
Just in case right? (pun intended)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm pretty careful with mine and I've broken TWO. The first time I didn't know that I'd broken it. I thought the screen just malfunctioned on its own. The second time I rolled my head on it in bed and heard a sickening crunch. There was no visible sign of physical damage either time.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
A "nerd" and Engineering comment...

eink and LCD screens, are prone to breaks by tension and/or compression (they are mainly crystal displays or a layer of it). If the device itself is not bend or receives a big impact like an accidental drop without a cover, it should last for ever.

For scratches, any cover should protect.

I personally never put any ereader, laptop, netbook, etc, inside a luggage or package that I don't carry on myself, in order to avoid damages by a shock or accidental tension (heavy stuff on top of the backpack)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
... but still I don't go anywhere near a bathroom with my Kindle.
I do my best reading in there. My Kindle has earned a prime spot on my bathroom "book shelf" (the top of the toilet).
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote