Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
Buy Cybook now or wait for Readius?

Hi all.

I'm looking around for an e-ink reader, as the screen of my Palm Z22 has died/ frozen, and I mainly use it for reading books anyway, so why not on a dedicated reader?

I've been following announcements about the Readius, which seems to be a nice option for me (if they ever get around to announcing which DRM format they are going to support...), but I'm concerned about the pricing and availability. Has anybody heard any rumors about an actual launch date? The company showed the device in the Frankfurt Book Fair, but avoided announcing anything about a market launch. How reliable is this company?

The thing is, I've been buying loads of books from Fictionwise and reading them on eReader, mostly, and have some secure e-books on my bookshelf, which I didn't have the opportunity to read before running out of a reading device . So, I'm eagerly anticipating any dedicated e-reader that would support this format and be available in Europe as well. Or is that only wishful thinking?

So, the next-best choice would be the Cybook, I guess, with Mobipocket support, so that at least I may be able to continue buying from multiple stores, without format conversion - I'm no computer geek and do not want to do anything more taxing than to read , and the ePUB format that Sony alternately supports doesn't seem to have reached the Fictionwise store yet.

What should I do? Should I wait or should I buy now? Any input would be welcome.
Thank you.

Last edited by myral; 10-23-2008 at 06:06 AM.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Readius doesn't sound at all like a good choice to me. The biggest issue is the screen resolution, which is only quarter VGA (ie 320x240). On a 5" screen, that's going to result in awfully "blocky" text. Compare to LCD screens of a similar size which are generally 800x600. Another issue, as you mention, is that no support has been announced for any popular eBook format. It sounds like a complete "non starter" to me, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you were happy with your Palm, I'd suggest buying another one (perhaps second-hand). You could still move over to buying the Mobipocket format (in anticipation of a dedicated reader), as Mobipocket Reader software is available for Palm OS devices.

By this time next year, there should be much better dedicated ebook readers, with much less fragile screens.

OTOH, I'm very happy indeed with my CyBook Gen3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myral View Post
Hi all.

I'm looking around for an e-ink reader, as the screen of my Palm Z22 has died/ frozen, and I mainly use it for reading books anyway, so why not on a dedicated reader?

I've been following announcements about the Readius, which seems to be a nice option for me (if they ever get around to announcing which DRM format they are going to support...), but I'm concerned about the pricing and availability. Has anybody heard any rumors about an actual launch date? The company showed the device in the Frankfurt Book Fair, but avoided announcing anything about a market launch. How reliable is this company?

The thing is, I've been buying loads of books from Fictionwise and reading them on eReader, mostly, and have some secure e-books on my bookshelf, which I didn't have the opportunity to read before running out of a reading device . So, I'm eagerly anticipating any dedicated e-reader that would support this format and be available in Europe as well. Or is that only wishful thinking?

So, the next-best choice would be the Cybook, I guess, with Mobipocket support, so that at least I may be able to continue buying from multiple stores, without format conversion - I'm no computer geek and do not want to do anything more taxing than to read , and the ePUB format that Sony alternately supports doesn't seem to have reached the Fictionwise store yet.

What should I do? Should I wait or should I buy now? Any input would be welcome.
Thank you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
If I understand you bought eBooks in eReader format:
“The thing is, I've been buying loads of books from Fictionwise and reading them on eReader(…)”

There is no dedicated eBook reader today who can have eReader formatted eBooks [just generic, non protected palm documents (pbd)].

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
myral
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you were happy with your Palm, I'd suggest buying another one (perhaps second-hand).
I was happy with my Palm in general - reasonable price, good battery life (compared to my earlier HP iPac) and unbelievable capabilities for a device that is sold as an electronic filofax. I even had a program for rating students' exercises and exams on it...

But my eyes got all red and sore when I read for many hours on end (which happens regularly). That's why I'm inclined to try out e-Ink now and maybe convert to Mobipocket. Although I still think that eReader has the most user friendly DRM scheme ().

Thank you for your insights.
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
For reading, you are going to love eInk devices!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Readius doesn't sound at all like a good choice to me. The biggest issue is the screen resolution, which is only quarter VGA (ie 320x240). On a 5" screen, that's going to result in awfully "blocky" text. Compare to LCD screens of a similar size which are generally 800x600. Another issue, as you mention, is that no support has been announced for any popular eBook format. It sounds like a complete "non starter" to me, I'm afraid.
Actually similarly LCD screens of that size are typically 640x480 (VGA) sized but that is still 4 times the resolution of the Readius. The eBookwise reader is twice the resolution of the Readius at 480x320 but compensates by using special fonts that are adjusted for work well at that resolution.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on your "not ... more taxing than to read" criteria, the MOBI format and the Cybook are your best option. The Readius is going to be an interesting device for early adopters, but it is unlikely to provide a seamless reading experience initially and the Cybook is good enough today. In everything except size when not in use, the Cybook is likely to beat the Readius. Small size is an advantage, and foldable screens are in everyones future - but not yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ah - in that case, I think you'd be very happy with any of the current eInk devices. They really are much easier on the eyes, because they're purely reflective, not backlight. They also don't have the depth issues of LCDs, where the text is significantly below the surface of the screen.

eReader does have as good a DRM scheme as there is (since it doesn't rely on a central server to authorise devices), but I still prefer Mobipocket. Probably because it's now so easy to strip the DRM :-)

Paul

Quote:
I was happy with my Palm in general - reasonable price, good battery life (compared to my earlier HP iPac) and unbelievable capabilities for a device that is sold as an electronic filofax. I even had a program for rating students' exercises and exams on it...

But my eyes got all red and sore when I read for many hours on end (which happens regularly). That's why I'm inclined to try out e-Ink now and maybe convert to Mobipocket. Although I still think that eReader has the most user friendly DRM scheme ().

Thank you for your insights.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
myral
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The biggest issue is the screen resolution, which is only quarter VGA (ie 320x240). On a 5" screen, that's going to result in awfully "blocky" text. Compare to LCD screens of a similar size which are generally 800x600.
Thank you for pointing this out, as all those specs are only meaningless numbers to me and I wouldn't understand what they result in practically. The readius seems even less appealing now.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
myral
Enthusiast

Hi again.
Thank you all for your comments. They were very helpful and I finally took the plunge and ordered the Cybook.
Now my only concern is how I'm going to justify this to my husband? Maybe a delayed birthday present? Or perhaps my current eye-infection is going to help... (see what happens when you spend all day reading on a backlit screen!)
Now the waiting begins...
Old 10-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Hi again.
Thank you all for your comments. They were very helpful and I finally took the plunge and ordered the Cybook.
Now my only concern is how I'm going to justify this to my husband? Maybe a delayed birthday present? Or perhaps my current eye-infection is going to help... (see what happens when you spend all day reading on a backlit screen!)
Just beat him into submission. Yes, you'll enjoy reading on your e-ink ebook reader.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Hi again.
I'd suggest letting him use it so he can see the benefits, but then there's the danger you'll never get it back!!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I'd suggest letting him use it so he can see the benefits, but then there's the danger you'll never get it back!!
No, it just means having to buy a 2nd one for Hubby. That's what I had to do!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i imagine the eye infection should be the ticket for the explaining to hubby part

where'd you order your cybook from?

btw, i love mine

Quote:
Hi again.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote