Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 10-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iPod Photo - now officially on Apple's site

Thanks to Sunshine for the news! Apple made the iPod Photo come true, as everyone can now see on the Apple homepage. It features a "razor sharp" LCD display that lets you see your photos in vivid color — 65,536 colors, to be exact. And with its built-in backlighting, you’ll be able to admire those photos indoors or out.

Battery has also improved. The iPod Photo offers up to 15 hours of music playback, and up to 5 hours of image slideshows with music (the standard iPod brings it up to 12 hours).

Another nice feature: composite video and audio, allowing you to plug your iPod to an external video source.

Only drawback: it is slightly bigger (thicker to be exact) than its monochrome brother.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ooh, nice. Does anyone else see a pattern here? The ipod started out as a music player, but where's it going to end? This is why apple won't be hurt by the competition all that much. They are still the innovators, and lead the way with features and improvements.

Craig.
Advert
Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I like. I like.

Now all I need is for DLO to update their car-charger/FM transmitter so that I can continue to enjoy my iPod in my car.

Salivate. Salivate.
POL9A
Old 10-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
You're welcome. Sorry now that I didn't write up anything about it....

Very exciting things about the new PhotoPod:
  • S-Video Output
  • Supports JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF and PNG file formates (But no RAW)
  • Dock includes an AV cable to connect iPod Photo to a projector or TV
  • Automatically optimizes photos to fit on a standard (4:3) or widescreen (16:9) TV

Check out the specs on the new PhotoPod, and don't forget to oogle the upcoming U2 Special Edition Black Pod while you're at it.

Last edited by sUnShInE; 10-27-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Definately drool worthy and the price is right...I already have two second generation ipods so I'm not in need of any right now. If I want to listen to music and view photos...all that I need to do is fire up my zire 71
Advert
Old 10-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Finally!!

I wouldn't use the device as my primary photo reader (SplashPhoto on my new Z2 works just fine), but I might use the album art function to add some life to my iPod listening.

I'm more excited by the 60GB version. I have now a maxxed-out 30GB iPod and 40GB+ on my hard drive and an additional 600+/- LP's to digitize. When I'm done with all of that, I may be able to fit all of this onto the 60GB iPod. Right now, I don't even sync my iPod because I don't want to lose any music by going down to manual playlists, but I cannot fit any more music onto the poor beast. Hopefully with 60GB, I can still have hard drive space left and use it as a mobile hard drive.

One can alway hope, right. I know that the 600+/- LP's at 192kbps (Being initially ripped at CD quality, then those digital files converted to mp3 for iTunes use. I want, while I'm digitizing, to have a higher quality file for use to burn to CD's or as a high quality digital backup, but the mp3 files for iPod use.) will take up some space, but hopefully not 20GB+. LP's are kinda short, right?

What do you guys think?
POL9A
Old 10-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
To me these changes are an indication that Apple is running out of new ideas, and is just adding what smartphones and PDA's already include, on the assumption this will sell new devices. Many people who own iPods own one of those devices as well. Why buy an inferior photoviewer if you already have a Palm or PPC? Philippe Radley
Old 10-28-2004, 12:58 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I wouldn't mind the few "extras" of the new iPod. However, do you have an idea how many ways I now have to view digital photos?

- PC (notebook)
- PDA
- Mobile phone
- Digital camera
- Authored CD / DVD
- modded Xbox

I wouldn't mind owning the iPod Color, but would I really use it as another place for storing my pictures? I would probably have to own one to be able to tell...
Old 10-28-2004, 02:58 AM   #9
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What kind of world do we live in when a two-inch screen is a feature to boast about?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:02 AM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ah, but many ipodders don't know any better. They've probably never played with a palm or ppc.

Craig.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:05 AM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
Ah, but many ipodders don't know any better. They've probably never played with a palm or ppc.
Well neither is made by Apple, so it can't be good

/me hides from Apple fans' collective wrath...
Old 10-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
In today's New York Times, David Pogue sings the praises of this device, without once mentioning that many people already have devices that show photos (see Alexander's comments, above) or that the screen on this device is minuscule. He then gives us a scenario of a proud new photo iPod owner sitting in front of a TV, iPod attached, twisting the dial to produce a photoshow. Just picture that (pun intended)! This iPod is a solution to a problem that does not exist. If you are just buying your first iPod, then this one makes sense, but only, I think, in such a circumstance. Philippe Radley