Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Arktel
Arktel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why does Sigil not upload my whole book?

Hi
I am new to Sigil and wondering why it won't download my whole book (328 pages of Word converted to htm) and only part of it.

Also tried to import the cover by putting my curser at the beginning of the text (which is the title page) and clicking conrol+shift+1 but nothing happened.

Would appreciate any guidance. Am wading through the users manual but so far no answers to the above.

Thanks,
Arktel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Can't be sure about the importing of the book, but to insert an image you use Ctrl+Shift+I not Ctrl+Shift+1.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I always import HTML. It used to be via Word filtered HTML, but now via my macro to avoid excess HTML.
Anyway, I can't remember ever having imported only a partial document. Are you sure the HTML file is complete before importing?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
If it is one giant HTML file it could be that the file is just too big for Sigil to load. You could try to convert to ePub with Calibre first. Calibre will split it into separate parts for each chapter.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That must be one big file then... I have uploaded some quite heavy books and never found this issue...
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The most likely cause for this is an error in the source. I suspect you're seeing Sigil choke on some of the obscure tags that Word produces. Make sure you save as 'Web Page (filtered)' to get rid of some of the worst of the junk that Word throws in.

There are better ways to get xhtml out of a Word document, such as atlantis Word Processor or Writer2ePub with Open Office.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
As a desperation measure you can try Calibre to do the conversion and load the result into Sigil. Calibre might have a little more success at digesting the indigestible.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-11-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Charleski suggested the same things I was going to!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

True, but then you have to clean up Word junk and Calibre junk...
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
shall1028
Nameless Being

The original "question" reminds me of Grouch Marx's question to Chico Marx in one of their movies: Why a duck?

The answer is quite simple once you have more information to form an opinion.

For you question we might want to know things such as: How were you getting Sigil to "download" (ill-used word) the HTML file converted from Word? Isn't there a 300 kilobyte limit on the size of a chapter in an epub file (I suspect a 328 page Word document in HTML would exceed that)?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
The original "question" reminds me of Grouch Marx's question to Chico Marx in one of their movies: Why a duck?

The answer is quite simple once you have more information to form an opinion.

For you question we might want to know things such as: How were you getting Sigil to "download" (ill-used word) the HTML file converted from Word? Isn't there a 300 kilobyte limit on the size of a chapter in an epub file (I suspect a 328 page Word document in HTML would exceed that)?
300K is a common device limit, but it does not usually appear on desktop systems (usually prompts many "I can see the whole book in Sigil", but not on my "X". reports).
I haven't seen too many files that won't load (corruption is the usual cause) on Sigil. Some (rare) can take minutes to load
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
It could be your computer, and perhaps it running out of memory.

On my old PC, for some reason, Sigil would frequently just stop right in the middle of the file and give me an error about the file ending.

Usually if I would try again, it would eventually work. Used to always happen when my PC was on for a while, and so probably the resources were low.

But haven't had that problem on my new PC, which admittedly has double the ram, but also Windows 7 instead of XP, which seems to restore memory much better to the system when you exit a program than XP did.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

Don't bother to reply, we will probably never hear anything from the OP anymore.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
The most likely cause for this is an error in the source. I suspect you're seeing Sigil choke on some of the obscure tags that Word produces. Make sure you save as 'Web Page (filtered)' to get rid of some of the worst of the junk that Word throws in.

There are better ways to get xhtml out of a Word document, such as atlantis Word Processor or Writer2ePub with Open Office.
Actually, Charleski (as I agree with Toxaris that the likelihood of the OP ever reappearing is slim), we have not been happy with any html we get out of OO, even though most of us use it, generally speaking, in accompaniment to Word, etc. (Word has a bug that prevents us from using it to format POD PDF files, humorously, so we have to export a finalled book to OO in order to print the damn thing to PDF). We've tried several varieties of exporting to html, and we've been seriously underwhelmed with them all; as much as we dislike the html that Word outputs, even filtered, it frankly seems easier to clean than what we get from OO (and their XML output isn't anything to write home about, either, which is disappointing). It interests me that I see you recommending this flavor all the time, when our own experiences with it have been quite the opposite...

JMHO, FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, Charleski (as I agree with Toxaris that the likelihood of the OP ever reappearing is slim), we have not been happy with any html we get out of OO, even though most of us use it, generally speaking, in accompaniment to Word, etc. (Word has a bug that prevents us from using it to format POD PDF files, humorously, so we have to export a finalled book to OO in order to print the damn thing to PDF). We've tried several varieties of exporting to html, and we've been seriously underwhelmed with them all; as much as we dislike the html that Word outputs, even filtered, it frankly seems easier to clean than what we get from OO (and their XML output isn't anything to write home about, either, which is disappointing). It interests me that I see you recommending this flavor all the time, when our own experiences with it have been quite the opposite...

JMHO, FWIW.

Hitch
Just curious... are you using the Writer2LaTeX and Writer2xhtml extensions? Presumably you are, but I just thought I'd ask. Granted I had given up on Word html output several years ago, but they must've made huge improvements to be anywhere close to what LibreOffice produces with Writer2xhtml v 1.1.7 IMHO.

Writer2epub (Luke Calciani's extension) will, with suitable modification of the css generating macro, also produce an adequate epub as a starting point for tweaking in Sigil. Again, YMMV.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Actually, I'm having the same issue four months later, so rather than start a new discussion, perhaps we can continue this one, since you're already on track.

I'm attempting to create a collection of experimental formalist poetry (a little of which you can see here).

The book works and looks quite nice for the first four poems and then goes dark. None of the subsequent poems appear in Sigil. I haven't had this issue using the Office plugin mentioned before, but neither does the output look as clean as Sigil's.

Most of the poems have been published and some have been translated into seven languages so far (including Greek, interestingly), which means I'm not overly concerned about showing the file to someone who knows more than I.

But if there are tags in the way, how can I get at them without stripping the text and destroying the visual look of the book so far?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote