Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Grandfather Series, first published in Modern Haiku

STRINGS

fishing rods & lures
the hours he must have spent...
layered dust

Grandfather's attic, though he's dead and Grandma lives alone. His house, his yard, his things, even his widow. How many years? And still his shadow. All these things! Longbows, unstrung, under cobwebs.

then too young to hold
the bowstring taut
my whip-stung ear

Colors die. Those Greek gods, limbless and grey? Once were brightest red, garish blue, full-limbed and gaudy. Time curls the edges, fades the pigments. Her palette, sepia-stained.

photo album
young men wearing old clothes
and odd-looking hats

leaning on guitar cases, boasting, a car behind them. The car might be green. The guitar might yet be played. The case tattered, fretwork loose and chipped, but the strings look good. Tight. A slight air, a breath, could stir them. Even the whisper of a ghost.

guitar strings tight
only the spider
tries to strum them

TURTLE SOUP

Grandpa and the snapping-turtle story: on his skiff, poling through the swamp in search of dinner. Check and bait each trap and cage, and then

dripping cage
the warm, green
weight of it

spills onto the boards amid the mess of ropes and gear. Mossy smell, the lazy swing of club across the skull, then lean and push against the pole.

hard, dull thud
silence...
turtle's thick tongue

Ah, but the sneaky thing not dead! Slow-motion stealth (the hours that pass in Grandpa's hands), muffled steps in the darkened green of night, the heavy swarm and lull of insects-- all tumbled back to present in the quick snap-flash of jaws around the boot. Thick blood swells and oozes over black rubber. The tightening! (we all clench our teeth)... the pain! (vein throbs at his temple)...

even now
whispering
'watch out!'

Almost passes out, fumble, fumbles for something, a knife-- his gnarled hand gropes, grips a rusted saw. Grandpa: boot filled up with blood, chalk-white face, sawing on the rough, tight neck, boat adrift. Snap of chorded muscle, then slowly prying loose the death-slackening jaws.

He eats it. That night. He smiles his turtle-smile. Hooded eyes, skinny neck, blinks at each of us in turn. Oh yes, turtle soup... best story ever tasted.

space between
storyteller's hands--
childrens' wide eyes

I REMEMBER MOST OF ALL THEIR HANDS

Clifford's had the tattered feel of pages from a family Bible; smooth, yet crumpled, dry but warm. Perhaps the years of dealing poker cards, thumbing the edges until the gloss had turned to sheen, the sheen in time rubbed dull to match the parchment texture of his palms... or fiercely gripping pool cues, twisting the wood against the calluses, around and around as he paced the table's length; perhaps these things in time had worn those lines as deep and long as life in Clifford's hands.

scratch shot
off the eight-ball--
the air turns blue

But Thomas, my mother's father, his hands always felt like talc. And cool, always cool. The fingers were finely tuned to minutiae: the tiny wood-tick burrowed into the hound's thick pelt, the intricate inscribing on the surface of the silver spoons and forks he used to craft trinkets for his daughters, simple rings and bangles. His hands had the feel of the final years, the tissue-like translucence of growing old.

walking cane
he trained from a sapling
velvet smooth

No final robust wave from the neat front-lawn for him (Clifford's hand, waving to Dorothy; sweat, and grease from the lawnmower, and then the sudden grip of heart-attack) no-- he'd leave no coarse and ragged edges behind, but rather a soft erosion, a gentle walk across a carpet grown imperceptibly threadbare, frayed and frail until you saw the boards, splintered, underneath.

patty-cake man
my son's soft palm
softens mine
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Those are really evocative. Thanks for posting them, Taylor.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Taylor514ce these are beautiful. I love reading something that makes me stop and feel.

I'll admit I did go searching for a definition of modern Haiku (http://www.haikusociety.com/modernhaiku/)

"Although haiku enthusiasts irritably disagree on a common definition for modern haiku, the main idea to remember is that the spirit of the haiku is what ultimately survives within the mind, and heart, of the reader."

I'm still somewhat confused about the form for modern haiku could you clarify it a bit for me?

P.S. Are you entering the contest? http://www.modernhaiku.org/issue39-3...wards2009.html
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

"Modern Haiku" is the name of a publication, in which these poems were first published. The link you published is on their web site. I haven't submitted to them, or anyone, for a few years now. I am ambivalent about publishing.

The specific form I used for the above poems is called "haibun". It's a mixture of prose and haiku, with the links between the haiku and the prose sections obeying the same general rules as the "turn" in tanka or the links in renga, other Japanese poetic forms.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm glad you're not ambivalent about shareing with us, however,
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Thanks for sharing.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
"Modern Haiku" is the name of a publication, in which these poems were first published. The link you published is on their web site. I haven't submitted to them, or anyone, for a few years now. I am ambivalent about publishing.

The specific form I used for the above poems is called "haibun". It's a mixture of prose and haiku, with the links between the haiku and the prose sections obeying the same general rules as the "turn" in tanka or the links in renga, other Japanese poetic forms.

Thanks.
Thank you for explaining (although I think I still need to go exploring - tanka / renga ).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Absolutely adore these Haiku (plural?). Having recently lost my grandfather and him being one of the major influences on me as a reader and as a person, your words bring tears to my eyes.

Thankyou very much.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thanks, Moejoe. You're welcome.

Tags
haibun