Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Reinstalling Calibre Library

I have just tried to use Dropbox and somehow I have moved my Library into Dropbox but now I just get a blank page when I open Calibre. It looks like I have it backed up in Dropbox ok.
How do I get it back to Calibre please? I still have the Calibre Library under c:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library and this contains metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup_json (whatever that is). I find it a bit confusing and any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Nicko; 01-06-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
If you copied the entire Calibre Library folder into Dropbox, then all you need to do is in Calibre press the menu/toolbar item that looks like a group of books and tell Calibre to use the library folder in Dropbox. If you moved the book folders from within the Calibre Library folder, you want to move them back, then press the Library menu button and tell Calibre to move the Library into Dropbox. My understanding is that you DO NOT want to mess with things inside the Calibre Library folder.

Hope this helps!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Thanks. There are several options in the drop-down window. Which do I use to tell Calibre to use the library folder in Dropbox please?.
I thought I could use the switch/create button but that only told me where my Library is located and it is empty.

Last edited by Nicko; 01-06-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
If you have already moved/copied the entire Calibre Library folder to Dropbox, then navigate to the Dropbox Calibre Library folder and choose the 'use the previously existing library at new location' option.

Last edited by GoSharks; 01-06-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If you have already moved/copied the entire Calibre Library folder to Dropbox, then navigate to the Dropbox Calibre Library folder and choose the 'use the previously existing library at new location' option.
Using switch/create the window states:
"Your calibre library is currently located at C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library"
(where is was before I lost it to Dropbox)
New Location Box
Click on that and it just brings up C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library
I can't see how I can navigate to Dropbox Calibre Library from there?.
I am beginning to wish I had never seen Dropbox.

Last edited by Nicko; 01-07-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Nicko
Groupie

Could I just go into Dropbox and copy the Calibre Library back to my C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library where is has always been previously?.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
New Location Box
Click on that and it just brings up C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library
I can't see how I can navigate to Dropbox Calibre Library from there?.
When at the New Location box click on the icon to the right of the empty box to navigate to your library's new location. See attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Could I just go into Dropbox and copy the Calibre Library back to my C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library where is has always been previously?.
Yes, you can always return things back the way they were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navigate to new location.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	98950  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-07-2013 at 05:57 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Using switch/create the window click on the blue 'browse' icon next to the empty field and browse the tree into your dropbox folder (at least in Windows). It fills the empty field with your dropbox path. (Or just copypaste the new path into that field.)
Then you can 'use the previously existing library at new location'.

Ohh, Doctor was faster!
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
When at the New Location box click on the icon to the right of the empty box to navigate to your library's new location. See attached.

Yes, you can always return things back the way they were.
Appreciate your help. I have Calibre Library back again with the path: C:\users\Patrick\Dropbox\Calibre\Calibre Library. I preferred it as previously C:\users\Patrick\Calibre Library but guess it doesn't make much difference. I am sorry I ever got involved with Dropbox but I guess it is just because of my computer ignorance. Cheers.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Nicko
Groupie

GoSharks and travger. Thanks for your assistance. It is great that people on here are so willing to help out an old duffer.