Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Cool Onyx Boox Rumor Mill

Just got some inside information confirmed. A number of Onyx developers are working on the porting of Android to Onyx Devices. They are now working on the power management (important part) and customizing the android GUI. There are still some dev. time to go. But I am very optimistic! It should be possible to upgrade i62HD and M92 to a special Android version and use some third party software from PlayStore
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Good news. But I'm wondering if Android is suited to eink screens since they have a low refresh rate.
I also hope they keep improving the regular firmware .
Thanks for the heads up Booxtor
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Good news. But I'm wondering if Android is suited to eink screens since they have a low refresh rate.
I also hope they keep improving the regular firmware .
Thanks for the heads up Booxtor
Right.
In addition, resource-intensive Android, running many background applications that are loaded into RAM.
Battery consumption is higher.

I understand that it is easier to implement Android Onyx on their readers and the client looks, and pay, by readers of ebooks on the PlayStore, they develop their own software.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Sony PRS T1 and Nook works with Android without problem. I think there is an eink driver for Android.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
The Sony PRS T1 has a 1Ghz processor, not 800 Mhz. I'm wondering how much of a load Android will place on the e-readers.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Of course we will keep improving of the regular firmware. It should be just made possible to install that for E-Ink devices optimized Android as alternative OS.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Just got some inside information confirmed. A number of Onyx developers are working on the porting of Android to Onyx Devices. They are now working on the power management (important part) and customizing the android GUI. There are still some dev. time to go. But I am very optimistic! It should be possible to upgrade i62HD and M92 to a special Android version and use some third party software from PlayStore
But the other side of this is that no Onyx developers are working anymore on the firmware for older devices, as Onyx decided to drop support for all their readers except the i-series and the M92. And this in spite of promises they made earlier.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Android on the Boox sounds very promising. I just hope that the quality of the Android port will be better than that of the regular firmware, which seems to be eternally at a beta quality level.
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Good news, thanks!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
patmo141
patmo141 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
This is pretty awesome.
patmo141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
I'll believe it when I see it.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
Here too. I have lost any trust in Onyx.
I bought the M92 in trust of development of the promised features. Soon it will be half a year and still the software is still unuseable with PDFs for academic reading for me.
I don't want new promises, i want the old promises fullfilled.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
I think Onyx have been developing its products correcting bugs and such at a reasonable pace until now (in M92 at least). I mean compared with others much larger companies (and i am thinking on Garmin to give some names) who dont care at all.
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
Here too. I have lost any trust in Onyx.
I bought the M92 in trust of development of the promised features. Soon it will be half a year and still the software is still unuseable with PDFs for academic reading for me.
I don't want new promises, i want the old promises fullfilled.
If you want do academic reading none of e-ink devices are valid. You need an iPad in first place or other 9,7 Android tablet (but not cheaper Chinese ones).

By experience. I've used iRex DR1000, Kindle DX (and then DXG) and PocketBook 903... and none are valid (slow, a lot of bugs, inefficiencies, and you waste more time waiting while device perform actions than reading). Then, there is no reason M92 will be different from others.

Things go worse if you need to read more than one PDF and/or do intense annotation on them. For the last, even you won't be able to merge into PDF... and there is no reason M92 will be better for that than others I've own.

I had an iPad 1 and it was perfect for annotate with iAnnotatePDF and GoodReader. My iPad 3 is even better, with its Retina display fonts are shown better than in printed documents.

Multiple documents, a lot of ways to annotate, and for GoodReader you only need to configure cloud servers. You annotate, and then sync and your annotated pdf are in the cloud.

And one thing that no ebook reader has: speed. Document opening and browsing, zoom, page turning, scroll, etc. are almost completely immediate operations. And only one handicap: backlight.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote