Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Switching out the firmware on a registered Kindle Fire

I picked up a Kindle Fire and found I really did not like the stock interface.

So I rooted it and installed the Go Launcher (much nicer), In the process
I installed the updated Kindle app so I could get it to launch from the
Go launcher and I found that I like it more than the stock kindle app.

I did however notice that it how is Registered as an Android Device on
Amazons website. So at this point I'm thinking I may as well dump the
Stock firmware and load a cleaned up Android OS (New ROM).

I realize in doing so the Kindle Fire is no longer a Kindle fire as far as the
manage your devices goes, has Amazon given anyone a hard time over this?

Thank you

PS: I realize my warranty has probably already been voided by "Rooting" it.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
If you have to return it back to Amazon, you just re-flash the original firmware back. I think Amazon doesn't really care at this point because it's letting them sell more units and most people are loading the Kindle/Newsstand, Amazon Video, and Amazon App Store apps anyway.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Congrats!!
you now have a very decent low priced well specced 7 inch full android tablet.

I am tempted to do this but for the fear of "bricking"my device, as I already run an alternative launcher,use an alternative Book reader and never use Amazons movies or shop from its built in "ecosystem".
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I also think a bit of the appeal of the fore is that it can be rooted.
if it was locked down I would have gotten something else. Since I'm already
using Amazon for Music and Books this will just increase my using Amazon.

The rooting is fairly straightforward, but still there is a risk. Since I
really don't like the stock interface so I was to either return it or root it.

Out of all the tablets in or near this price range I thought the Kindle Fire
looked the nicest since it does not have any Logos on the front.

My biggest concern was to Keep Amazon Happy since I plan to continue to
buy Books and media from them (probably even more that I can use them easier).

Thanks again
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
If the interface was your only issue, you didn't need to root it. Plenty of people are running Go Launcher without rooting the KF.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
If the interface was your only issue, you didn't need to root it. Plenty of people are running Go Launcher without rooting the KF.
Rooting it gave me access to a few other things as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I picked up a Kindle Fire and found I really did not like the stock interface.
That may be so, but I wanted that to be clear; I see a lot of threads on Fire forums by people thinking that rooting is necessary just to sideload or tocircumvent the stock interface. There's a thread today where someone thinks you need to root the Fire to install an epub reader.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Harry_Y
Addict

Update: I wound up going with a tablet instead, at the end of the day it did not
make sense to jump through hoops just to get what I could get out of the box.

The Fire is a Very nice unit, but for me it did not make sense.

Last edited by Harry_Y; 04-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Update: I wound up going wit a tablet instead, at the end of the day it did not
make sense to jup through hoops just to get what I could get out of the box.

The Fire is a Very nice unit, but for me it did not make sense.
Which tablet did you end up getting?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Which tablet did you end up getting?
I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

The Fire was quite nice, but it did not make sense to have to root it
to get what I wanted. It basically was not the right device for me.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0"
Looks like a good Choice

Quote:
"The Fire was quite nice, but it did not make sense to have to root it
to get what I wanted. It basically was not the right device for me."
I certainly see your point
I would not root the fire just for one feature like the Googleplay store and go through all the hassle of re-rooting when amazon releases a firmware update.

If I were ever to root it would be a complete ROM replacement and I would leave the whole Kindle fire experience behind and use as a proper android tablet.

In fact I am nearly doing that now as I dont even visit the Amazon Market or use its kindle reading app.
I use third party android Apps 100% of time for everything.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Looks like a good Choice

I would not root the fire just for one feature like the Googleplay store and go through all the hassle of re-rooting when amazon releases a firmware update.

If I were ever to root it would be a complete ROM replacement and I would leave the whole Kindle fire experience behind and use as a proper android tablet.

In fact I am nearly doing that now as I dont even visit the Amazon Market or use its kindle reading app.

That was pretty much how I saw it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

The Fire was quite nice, but it did not make sense to have to root it
to get what I wanted. It basically was not the right device for me.
Nice. I came this >< close to picking one up the other day, simply to tinker with it.
(and might still end up getting one... my resolve is weakening and I have two 32GB microSD cards that are desperately looking to be used. )

IMO (for what it's worth) you made the right decision.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post

You should try a ROM. Once you go ICS, you never go back. Just having more app capability, Google Chrome, Apex Launcher, the really nice ICS design, YouTube, among other things is totally worth it. And then you can just flash back the latest Amazon update to revert back to stock whenever you want.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"You should try a ROM. Once you go ICS, you never go back. Just having more app capability, Google Chrome, Apex Launcher, the really nice ICS design, YouTube, among other things is totally worth it. And then you can just flash back the latest Amazon update to revert back to stock whenever you want."

On one level it is tempting
but the practical part of my brain says:
What is the current state of performing the
Root/ROM procedure for us Mac users with no reasonable access to a windows PC?

For me it is a matter of risk VS reward and I still don't see what I would gain that would be so crucial to my daily usage of the device that I am not getting now

I dont use my kindle fire for web surfing at all really
I truly dont need the googleplay store

with my alternative book/comic readers the stock carousel is becoming a distant memory.
I have every app and 3D/2D game I could want

so at the moment i am happy with my GoLauncher/RW set up .