Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
inline page markers overtop of text??

So I've noticed these small page markers scattered throughout the book I'm reading. They appear on the right side of the page, and I would assume server the purpose of mapping to treebook page numbers as we change text sizes and such....

I just don't like that they sometimes appear OVER words of the book. Sure its not too hard to deduct what word or couple letters they mask, but its annoying nonetheless.

Can I somehow push these things over a bit into the margin? or disable it all together?

This book is a Calibre convert from a HTML rip. I took a look at HTML source and I don't see any tags in there that would indicate this numbering... and I don't see any tags in the ePub so I don't think Calibre is adding this stuff.... So where the hell is the Kobo getting this reference?

Last edited by Stinger; 05-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Bluebizzer
Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Bluebizzer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have been wondering the same thing. Books bought and synced directly from the Kobo software don't have these marks, but any book I add with ADE or with Calibre does.

I looked for anything that it could be getting them from, but also couldn't find anything.
Bluebizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I have noticed this as well. I really have not tried usaing the KOBO software though.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Depending on your point of view, this is either a bug or a feature of the ADE implementation. Somebody at Adobe thought it was a feature, most of us readers think it's a bug. It shows up on every reader that uses Adobe to read epub files. Nobody knows how to get rid of it, because somebody at Adobe really likes it. If you read Adobe drm'd files, you will have those numbers, which seem to be based on a character count.

Last edited by pholy; 05-14-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
What I do is to change the font size if the page number really obscures a word and I can't make it out.

Yes, this is a *feature* of ADE.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I kinda think it's cool when the last letter of the line is intermingled with the page number. But it is strange nevertheless.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
This is the worst 'feature' I've ever heard of!

The Kobo already displayes the page number, there is no need for it to be duplicated, especially since it overlaps the book's text. It really does look like a glitch (and until now, I assumed that's what it was).

EDIT: Found these instructions on the intertubes, not sure if they work at all, as I'm at work right now and can't test...

Quote:
There is a way but I don't know, if it makes any sense to you.
its as follows:

1. Add page-map attribute in the OPF file.
2. remove the page links from the pagemap.xml file (if exists any), so that
ADE will not find any page numbers to display.
3. Then make an ePub out of it.
And this...

Quote:
The page-template file does not control the display of page numbers.
What you're looking for is the page-map.xml file.

Go to http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/ and download the
"EPUB Best Practices Guide". There's a section on "Adobe Extensions"
which discusses the page map file. To suppress page numbering, you'll
need to create such a file, but use an empty name attribute (note that
I haven't tried this). If the page-map file doesn't exist, ADE will
generate page numbers based on the algorithm discussed in the best
practices guide.

Last edited by artificial; 05-28-2010 at 03:37 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

I can understand why they would make a feature like this, I even appreciate that they put some thought into the system to achieve a certain measure of consistency between different eReader platforms. But from Pholy's post that this feature is prevalent on all Adobe Mobile based readers, and that people have inquired/complained about it, I don't understand why there isn't a simple toggle to turn it off. How hard would that be to implement??

But after reading Pholy's comment:

Quote:
Somebody at Adobe thought it was a feature, most of us readers think it's a bug. It shows up on every reader that uses Adobe to read epub files. Nobody knows how to get rid of it, because somebody at Adobe really likes it.
I'm not very optimistic that we'll ever be able to turn it off, and I'm trying not to let it bother me.
I'm not one of those people that are annoyed reading a book unless it's justified, so I've found I can at least offset the annoyance of the markers by not Justifying my epubs, which at least helps in the frequency of which those markers overlap text.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I just wish you could control the display of it with the stylesheet. I tried and you can't. The only thing you can do is increase the margin-right to make room for it which then creates an off-centre page.

EDIT: By killing the left and right margins in the page-template.xpgt and replacing it with padding to the body of the stylesheet, I now have page numbers that are not overlapping the text while maintaining the same width.

EDIT 2: If you really want to get rid of seeing them, you can add a negative margin in the page-template.xpgt and compensate with even more padding to the body.

Last edited by dantaipan; 05-28-2010 at 11:52 AM.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Found these instructions on the intertubes, not sure if they work at all, as I'm at work right now and can't test...
Well, I tested them, but wasn't able to get the page numbers to disappear. I'm not sure it would be desirable anyway, and I have a feeling overriding the auto-generated page markers would be like telling the Kobo Reader "there are no pages in this book", which would be worse than the way it is currently.

In the meantime, now that I understand the purpose and logic behind the numbering system, I think I can learn to live with it, maybe even appreciate it. I can see how might be handy to have a concept of how many "real" pages a book contains.

@dantaipan - Your css solutions sound interesting, I haven't yet tweaked margin settings in Calibre but I imagine that would make the job fairly fast.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote