Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Seeking feedback on replacing PRS-600 battery

Hi there,

A few of you might remember my tales of woe regarding a fading screen on my PRS-600. It seemed to have a "happy outcome" in that the replacement unit has a much better screen. It still fades noticeably in the sun, but nothing like it did before, and I'm willing to live with it as it is.

However...this unit, which I assume is "refurbished", seems to have very poor battery life as compared to the previous one. I've even experimented with "flattening the battery" to help calibrate the meter--and noted that the unit continued playing MP3 files for about 2 hours past "no bars" and a visible battery low warning.

However, since then, after going to "full charge" (8 hours on a PSP charger) with 4 bars showing, I put my unit into sleep mode after reading for a couple hours--at four bars--and when I re-activated the unit today, it wouldn't stay on because the battery was empty. (I forgot the exact message--it boots up as if from a total shut-down, flashes the message, then shuts down again.)

I called Sony Support in El Salvador (the 239-768-7678 for US customers) and they politely instructed me to charge via the USB port for 4 hours. They indicated that the "knock-off" PSP Charger (made by JSD) is NOT the authorized way to charge the device because its rated output is 5.0V and it is supposed to be 5.2V -- according to the Sony service rep. So, I'm going to "play along" and give the USB charge a try, even though it is counter-intuitive...and counter to what I've understood from reading about the issue here on MR.

To be fair, Sony at least sounds like it is committed to my being happy with the device.

All of this notwithstanding, however, I suspect I may have a crap battery and might want to direct Sony to replace it. I would like them to replace only the battery as I would rather not risk getting another "bum screen" that fades if I participate in the exchange program, for which I still qualify.

So, I'd like to hear from anyone who has had their battery replaced by Sony in the US, I assume by sending it to the Laredo TX service center.

Was the process smooth?

How much did the labor costs run (assuming you had to pay them--I probably will once my initial 90 days are up in a week or so)?

Are you satisfied with the outcome? Does the replacement battery perform better than the one it replaced?

Thanks in advance for any replies that may come in.

On a personal note, there is so much I love about the PRS-600. The screen fade issue is a bummer, and yes, glare and contrast could both stand some improvement. But the user interface, the way books can be accessed, marked up, annotated, etc. is all very cool. And I've been reading a dead-tree copy of Korzybski's Science and Sanity recently, and resorting to the dictionary on my reader quite a bit as a result. I have even had some fun doing some drawings with the notepad feature. It's just a brilliant little piece of kit (at least it could be, if these annoyances like screen fade, or poor battery life in my case, could be ironed out).

Bless-up!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
However, since then, after going to "full charge" (8 hours on a PSP charger) with 4 bars showing, I put my unit into sleep mode after reading for a couple hours--at four bars--and when I re-activated the unit today, it wouldn't stay on because the battery was empty. (I forgot the exact message--it boots up as if from a total shut-down, flashes the message, then shuts down again.)
First - I believe putting it in sleep mode just clears the screen.

Second - I have heard of folks forgetting that they have a mp3 playing and I have been told that will drain the battery quickly.

Third - If you left it connected to your USB port and your computer went into sleep mode I think this might drain the battery.

Good Luck!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
4 hours on USB didn't work...trying something else now

Well, the situation is looking a bit grim.

My understanding is that "sleep mode" not only clears the screen, but also makes it unresponsive to input. Power will still be consumed, but at a slower rate than it would if the reader was being jostled about in a backpack and "reading" signals through the screen and responding to them.

I don't normally use my reader to listen to MP3s. I explicitly put some on there to help drain the battery one time in order to help calibrate it. Unless it is spontaneously launching MP3 files without my deliberate intention and without my knowledge, this doesn't seem to be a likely explanation. Less so, give what I just discovered.

And I'm aware that USB ports can power down during hibernation cycles - but that did not occur for the four hours I just devoted to charging the unit via USB.

And once I disconnected the unit from the USB it first booted up as if to start, but the immediately gave me the "No Battery!" warning it did previously (yes--I took note of what it said this time)!!!

All subsequent attempts to restart the unit gave the same warning/message, and it just shut down.

I decided to try a "hard reset" - powering up with the Previous Page (<) button and Volume+ buttons pressed simultaneously, to see if it might be a software glitch. Fortunately, most of my books were loaded on a 4 GB SDHC Sandisk "Ultra" (15MB/s) card. I had to connect the unit to an AC adapter to do the reset, which I've done. After the brief period it was connected to the PSP-style charger with the unit reset, and following the screen-tap calibration and language selection routines, I disconnected the adapter.

The bars fell immediately from 4 to 2. I wanted to see how quickly I would get a low batter or "no battery" warning, so I started doodling in the Handwriting app, and within a few seconds it dropped to 1 bar. I saved that drawing, and started typing this post. The meter still held at 1 bar that whole time. Then, I tried a second "doodle" and watched the bars "flicker" as if the screen was refreshing as the unit does during page turns to clear ghosting, and the bars suddenly jumped back up to 4! At least...until I clicked "Done" on the second doodle, at which point the bars have gone back to 1.

This is some very strange activity going on here. With the unit at 1 bar I put the SD card back in and it initially flashed a "No Battery!" message in the status bar at the bottom of the Main Menu screen, followed by "loading" that the "yin/yang arrows" graphic that comes up during the start-up and re-pagination sequences. I'm able to open some of the books on the card with the battery meter holding at 1 bar.

So, I guess I'm going to try using the reader off the PSP charger for awhile, just so I can get a little pleasure using it, during which time it should (theoretically) charge.

My own experience with both this reader (prior to today, at least) and the previous PRS-600 that was replaced due to a fading screen, as well as reports I've read on MR, all suggest that charging from a properly-rated PSP style charger works as well, if not better than off USB. I believe the Sony rep I spoke with earlier today meant well, but she was probably working off a decision-tree script and may not have any real world experience with the device. I welcome feedback that demonstrates I am mistaken in this assumption.

Heck--I welcome any feedback that might lead to a solution here!

@dwanthny: Thanks for your suggestions, even though I don't believe they were applicable in my case.
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
My understanding is that "sleep mode" not only clears the screen, but also makes it unresponsive to input. Power will still be consumed, but at a slower rate than it would if the reader was being jostled about in a backpack and "reading" signals through the screen and responding to them.

...~~~...

My own experience with both this reader (prior to today, at least) and the previous PRS-600 that was replaced due to a fading screen, as well as reports I've read on MR, all suggest that charging from a properly-rated PSP style charger works as well, if not better than off USB.
You're right sleep mode does disable the front buttons I forgot about that. I would just use the PSP charger and maybe remove the SD card for a short while to see if the SD card makes a difference.

You may have to call Sony again.

I guess you're just providing the karmic balance required to keep the universe expanding for all of us that haven't had any problems. Thanks!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would call Sony.
It is unacceptable to buy a new reader and have this sort of problem. When they sent you a replacement it was supposed to be either a brand new reader or your repaired reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Meine
Meine began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

Third - If you left it connected to your USB port and your computer went into sleep mode I think this might drain the battery.

Good Luck!
That probably explains my 'empty' reader that I found a few times in the morning. Big thanks
Meine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Talking

i succeeded in recharging my RLOD'd reader using a creative muvo2 usb charger (5v 2.5A)

worked fine, took a few hours but my previously dead battery is now at 100% and holding.

if its any help i am in the channel islands, would be happy to post it to you.
EDIT:
i also have one spare battery here, known good less than 2 weeks of use.
may not be needed so i am relisting it as available.
the replacement procedure requires removing two screws and sliding off the back casing, then disconnecting the lead and dropping in new battery (DO NOT press!!!!) then refit casing.

Simplez.

regards, -A
Fix list:- 1 PRS600 replacement touch screen and battery,
Lesson learned, never lend out your Reader without a signed contract stating that they will replace it should it get damaged.

Last edited by conundrum; 04-15-2010 at 03:18 AM.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote