Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Selling my iLiad..

Hi all I'm selling my 7 week old iLiad. I've decided the Sony will suit my needs more. It's as new condition and boxed. I'm based in Central London but will send worldwide providing buyer pays shipping.

I accept cash or paypal. - Please send me a 'Private Message' via mobile read if your interested.

Thanks

.stu
Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sorry to hear about your decision to sell the iLiad, Stu. Just out of curiosity, would you sell it at a discount?
Advert
Old 08-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
iRex's policy is no warranty except to the original purchaser...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
iRex's policy is no warranty except to the original purchaser...
I would be very surprised, if european law would allow them to do that
Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
I would be very surprised, if european law would allow them to do that

World-wide Guarantee

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing this iRex product which has been designed and manufactured to the highest quality standards.
If, unfortunately, something should go wrong with this product, iRex guarantees free of charge labour and replacement parts irrespective of the country where it is repaired during a period of 12 months from date of purchase. This international iRex guarantee complements the existing national guarantee obligations to you of retailers and iRex in the country of purchase and does not affect your statutory rights as a customer.

The iRex guarantee is provided to the original end user purchasing from iRex or an authorized reseller, and is not transferable.

I'm not aware of any law forcing companies to make their warranties transferable.
Advert
Old 08-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
They can't do that. You have warranty no mather who ownes it. The only problem is that if you want to claim your right it could be a hassle.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EU law:
  • If you discover that the item you purchased is imperfect, you initially have the right to choose between the free repair of the imperfect good and the replacement of the product. Should the repair fail twice or should the exchanged item too be defective, you can withdraw from the contract of purchase. You will then be refunded the full purchasing price if you return the product to the seller. <-- now that should be interesting regarding broken iLiads
  • If you purchase second-hand goods from a commercial dealer, the warranty period may be contractually reduced to 1 year. However, the seller may not preclude the warranty entirely. If the purchased item is defective, the customer has the same rights as when purchasing new products. When buying an article from a private person however, the warranty for material deficiency may be precluded entirely.

http://www.evz.de/UNIQ115602235902144/doc1209A.html
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
I'm not aware of any law forcing companies to make their warranties transferable.
Just because someone writes stuff in their business terms, doesnt make it legal. Your quotation mentions an additional international warranty to the national warranty you have anyway.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch

Well, not exactly international warranty but EU warranty. The question is, does EU law overrule local law?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
The question is, does EU law overrule local law?
Every state in the EU must at least comply with the european regulations, but they are always free to extend customer rights. (They rarely do…)

Most of the times, warranties just cover the original customer. A workaround would be to have and agreement with the original customer so that he initiates contact in the “unlikely” event of damage. I'm sure Mr.Young could agree to that.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Well, not exactly international warranty but EU warranty. The question is, does EU law overrule local law?
In Theory or in practice?

According to the actual law, EU law overrules local law in pillar 1 (economic issues) within the union. So yes iRex is legally required to provide you with a warranty.

The question is how do you enforce this. Lawyers tend to cost more than 1000 euro for a case. So while you have rights, getting them out of the company is another issue altogether.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
When buying an article from a private person however, the warranty for material deficiency may be precluded entirely.
That sure looks like if you by it from the original purchaser in a private transaction you're not getting the warranty.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
That sure looks like if you by it from the original purchaser in a private transaction you're not getting the warranty.

There is no way iRex can deny you warranty. The problem is like Devlar said that to get your right you probably have to take it to court and it's cheaper to buy a new unit.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Henry Loenwind
Enthusiast
Henry Loenwind is on a distinguished road

This international iRex guarantee complements the existing national guarantee obligations to you of retailers and iRex in the country of purchase and does not affect your statutory rights as a customer.

@all: Read this until you understand it, then ignore this discussion
Closed Thread