Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #241
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
ixtab,
I tried your latest tool... still crashes.
Here's the trace:
Code:
[justaman@localhost kindle-touch-l10n]$ java -jar tool/kt-l10n.jar dist -f -k ~/kindletool/KindleTool/kindletool -s src/5.0.0/ -t update_5.0.0-my-LOCALE_TYPE.bin ru_RU -g tool/KTFrameWorkLocale/glibc-locales/ 
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
   at ixtab.ktlocale.DistributionTask.run(Unknown Source)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.LocaleTool.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
   at gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.write(libgcj.so.12)
   at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(libgcj.so.12)
   at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(libgcj.so.12)
   at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(libgcj.so.12)
   at java.util.zip.GZIPOutputStream.close(libgcj.so.12)
   at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(libgcj.so.12)
   at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveOutputStream.close(TarArchiveOutputStream.java:155)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.util.TGZCreator.createTGZFile(Unknown Source)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.DistributionTask.createKindleInstallFiles(Unknown Source)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.DistributionTask.createKindlePackages(Unknown Source)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.DistributionTask.createDistribution(Unknown Source)
   at ixtab.ktlocale.DistributionTask.run(Unknown Source)
   ...1 more
eureka,
I think I'll give your JS tool a try tomorrow... want to have some sleep once in a while
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #242
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
About the naming: IMO your second proposal (src/5.0.3/{framework,locale,pillow,waf}) is best. Since you're the "master of slug-naming tools" , could you update the repo and transifex accordingly?
Done.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #243
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@eureka: Thanks!

@JustAMan: oh, I see. And now I also see what you meant by "GNU java". Don't use gcj, it's horrendously buggy.

If you want to use an open-source Java implementation, use openjdk instead

Otherwise, you're of course free to debug the tool to see what initially causes the problem, and to change it accordingly to make it work with gcj.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #244
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab, so, I see that Pillow and WAF resources are being translated on Transifex. Nice. Let me know if you'll find js_resources's README incomplete or obscure or not helpful.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #245
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eureka:

Yeah, I'm at it right now... I noticed everything's setup on transifex and tool-wise, and I'm actually looking into the integration of it into the dist chain.

My observation is: it's almost working.

I.e., it seems to be working correctly when compiling the en_US locale, but not for others.

Here's what I get when compiling the de locale:
Code:
$ python tool/js_resources/ compile --source-dir ../kindle-touch-l10n-tx-full/src/5.0.3/pillow/ --dest-dir /tmp/loc-js/ --source-locale en_US --locale de
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 122, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 34, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/home/cl/kindle-touch/localization/kindle-touch-l10n/tool/js_resources/__main__.py", line 132, in <module>
    args.cmd.execute(args)
  File "tool/js_resources/lib/cli_commands.py", line 157, in execute
    resources = properties.read(compiled_file, base=base_file)
  File "tool/js_resources/lib/format/properties.py", line 71, in read
    with codecs.open(metadata_file, encoding='utf8') as md:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/codecs.py", line 870, in open
    file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../kindle-touch-l10n-tx-full/src/5.0.3/pillow/de/strings/wifi_wizard_dialog_strings.metadata.json'
The solution is trivial: metadata should not be looked for in the translated locale directory ("de"), but in the source locale directory ("en_US"). As I pointed out multiple times, I'm a complete legasthenic when it comes to python, so... could you please fix this?

Update:
P.S. The README is fine, it's just that it still has the old commands in it (if I'm not mistaken). For compile, I understand that the shortcut for "--source-locale" is now "-b", not "-m". Not a huge issue, as I'm using the long flags for now anyway, but probably just a small glitch that should be fixed.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #246
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The solution is trivial: metadata should not be looked for in the translated locale directory ("de"), but in the source locale directory ("en_US"). As I pointed out multiple times, I'm a complete legasthenic when it comes to python, so... could you please fix this?

Update:
P.S. The README is fine, it's just that it still has the old commands in it (if I'm not mistaken). For compile, I understand that the shortcut for "--source-locale" is now "-b", not "-m". Not a huge issue, as I'm using the long flags for now anyway, but probably just a small glitch that should be fixed.
My bad. Fixed and README updated.

UPD Ooops, no, it wasn't fixed in the strict sense, but rather stupidly avoided. But now it should be of no problem if en_US is used as source locale. I'll fix it for real soon.

Last edited by eureka; 02-03-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: admit error
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #247
JustAMan
Groupie

ixtab,
So when you're planning to release de_DE JS locale part? I think I may have to include that into my tool actions, e.g., report & blacklist ones.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #248
ixtab
(offline)

@JustAMan: The german translation is, in fact, almost finished for these.

I'm currently coding the logic for including pillow/waf bundles into translations. I have already looked at all all the translatable strings (and translated most of them, diba is currently proof-reading and fixing the german translation).

In short, no blacklisting is required for these resources, because they *only* contain strings that were actually meant to be localized. (As in: Java ResourceBundles are the exception, not the rule. They contain a mix of behavioral and localizable resources. In contrast, pillow/waf/blanket resources only contain things relating to translation).

I intend to finish a first version of the tool tonight, so maybe we can have bundles that could be usable for end users by.... well, say, alpha version tonight, beta version tomorrow, final version in 3 days or so.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #249
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
ixtab, I have gone through the lastest files around 18:00 hrs, send a PN concerning a missing / in google.de/search and changed two or three wordings. Could not go through a final one, was blocked by you. But everything else is looking very good.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #250
JustAMan
Groupie

Okay, so I think I'll look into doing the same "combine/expand" action for JS, wait a bit for Transifex ru_RU people for translate it, then proof-read and try on my device
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #251
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

done for all files, only thing I am not shure is the "Article mode", where is this to be found on the KT? Made "Artikel-Modus" assuming this is what it should be. Fixed the missing / as well now.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #252
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
Okay, so I think I'll look into doing the same "combine/expand" action for JS, wait a bit for Transifex ru_RU people for translate it, then proof-read and try on my device
Nobody from ru_RU people knows about WAF subproject (it was created 2 days ago). And there is no ru_RU team at the Pillow subproject.

So I'm expecting no ru_RU translations for JavaScript resources. You should announce these subprojects to Russian translators (I can do it, but have no desire at the moment). Or create a team by yourself and start translating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
done for all files, only thing I am not shure is the "Article mode", where is this to be found on the KT? Made "Artikel-Modus" assuming this is what it should be. Fixed the missing / as well now.
As far as I remember, it's a "Readability mode" of browser. This menu item could be found when Menu is invoked while browsing.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #253
diba
Addict

I have sent the actual Sueddeutsche Zeitung, a german newspaper, via Calibre news to my KT. Here we have english leftovers as well. I am very sure having them read in the german loc, but they are not translated or at another place as well. Is "Sections" what should be "Rubriken" and "Articles" which should be Artikel. But not everywhere ...
Some expressions too long for the buttons, will have a look in later.

UPDATE:
Reviewed all files I identified having something to do with periodicals. There everything is ok, seems there are more files for the periodicals like for the browser. Either they should come to pillows or WAF, here I am out. This is something for ixtab and eureka.

Last edited by diba; 02-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #254
JustAMan
Groupie

eureka,
Hmm, makes sense. I think I'll try translating those when I get time then
Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #255
eureka

@ixtab, please, don't include Pillow and WAF resources to your [automatically built] snapshots yet!!

(However, localization bundles built for testing purposes with manual checking of translated Pillow/WAF resources before building are OK.)

Pillow and WAF strings are used in HTML. They are possible source of XSS and I've overlooked this fact. I must implement some solution to filter these strings and leave only allowed HTML tags (so far, I've found two such tags in original JS files: <br> and <p>).

Also I've missed WAF's browser/readability/messages.js in extraction process. There is <a> tag in this file with embedded JavaScript as onClick handler. This embedded JavaScript probably should go into metadata...