Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Lesley2
Lesley2 began at the beginning.

Device: None
No wifi for my Kobo Touch

My Kobo Touch can't connect to the Wifi network on my Mac, which is running OSX 10.6.8. The Kobo sees it fine (along with several belonging to various neighbours) and everything goes well until I enter the password and click "Join". Then the Kobo says it can't join. It's not a huge problem as I can just connect the Kobo to the Mac directly, but it is mildly annoying. Everything else works fine apart from the constant demands for a factory reset because of storage problems, which I just ignore.
Lesley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Likely your router uses only WPA for security and doesn't support WEP - and the Kobo can't handle WPA, as per the bottom of page 4 of Help -> Using Wi Fi. Having been casually looking for wireless routers over the last few days, I've been noticing a lot going that way.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Likely your router uses only WPA for security and doesn't support WEP - and the Kobo can't handle WPA, as per the bottom of page 4 of Help -> Using Wi Fi. Having been casually looking for wireless routers over the last few days, I've been noticing a lot going that way.
JD, I think you mean that the Kobo Touch doesn't support WPA Enterprise security. I have connected mine to 4 WPA networks. As a matter of fact, I just checked the network here at work and googled "KOBO".

I have noticed with my Kobo Touch that it is easily blocked. My Wi Fi at home is about 6 feet away from my computer but behind my LCD monitor. If I hold it normally and try to connect I have problems, if I hold it higher than the monitor, everything works find. Note, I can use it in a normal position AFTER I have connected.

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, touch, wifi