Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Figured out why a lot of ePub isn't well formatted

I've figured out the main reason that a lot of ePub is poorly formatted. This is because the publishers give the job of converting books to eBooks to people who do not know what they are doing.

Just read some of the posts in this forum and you'll see people get the job of converting and they don't know what they are doing.

I would expect that these people would learn about making eBooks before talking the job and doing it wrong. But no, they jump in and get botching things up from the get go. It's like trying to run in a dessert with flippers on. Yes, it can be done, but not well enough.

Please don't take on the job of making eBooks if you don't know how to do it. This isn't something that should be learned on the job. This is something you should know. You should know what makes a good looking eBook and then do it. Tell your boss you can't do it so maybe someone who can will do it. But if you have to do it and you don't know how to do it, first, figure out proper formatting so you can strive to make the eBook look that way. Then you can proceed to learn on the job as long as you know what the output should look like. Don't just do it and make it look half-assed like a lot do because of incompetent employees doing the job.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
amen to that!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Maybe you're getting what publishers are willing to pay for!

It takes a lot of work and some knowledge to get it right and it is not easily automated.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I agree completely with your sentiment, but I'm not sure what you hope to gain by starting a thread about it. People aren't going to suddenly start telling their bosses; "No sir. I don't know the first thing about birthin' no ebooks, sir. You'll just have to pass me over and give someone else this outstanding opportunity to make themselves more valuable to you."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Most people doing most jobs don't know how to those jobs.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Maybe you're getting what publishers are willing to pay for!

It takes a lot of work and some knowledge to get it right and it is not easily automated.
A lot of books don't need any sort of complex formatting. So it's really not that much work. Yes, it does take some knowledge. And true that you cannot automate things.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree completely with your sentiment, but I'm not sure what you hope to gain by starting a thread about it. People aren't going to suddenly start telling their bosses; "No sir. I don't know the first thing about birthin' no ebooks, sir. You'll just have to pass me over and give someone else this outstanding opportunity to make themselves more valuable to you."
I know it's not going to change how people botch eBooks. But I just wanted to get it off my chest (so to speak).
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
How much work it is depends on whether you are working through a publisher's OCRed back list or stuff downloaded from Google or Archive or you have an original computer file.

If I had an original computer file, I think I would have to check my pulse, because I would surely have died and gone to Heaven!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
JSWolf, you have at least one reader taking your advice seriously. Even though I don't have a boss and I'm just doing it as a hobby, I'm spending time to learn how to do it properly. I have many stories I want to produce ebook version. I also follow Steve Jobs advice of simple design. Make it easy for readers to enjoy your work.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
JSWolf, you have at least one reader taking your advice seriously. Even though I don't have a boss and I'm just doing it as a hobby, I'm spending time to learn how to do it properly. I have many stories I want to produce ebook version. I also follow Steve Jobs advice of simple design. Make it easy for readers to enjoy your work.
Thank you! That will make your work much nicer when it is done.

Overall, the best formatting (IMHO) is no spacing between paragraphs (except for section breaks) and proper indents (I like 1.2em). Don't go wild with the space at the top of each chapter. I use 1em space, chapter title, 1em space, paragraph with no indent.

If you disagree with that, what do you think is good formatting?