Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Latest firmware 1.1 or 1.2?

What is the latest firmware? On Sony's website it looks to me like it's 1.1, but PRSCustomizer claims to support 1.2 Firmware as well.

Can somebody clear up my considerable confusion?

Also, what's the difference between the various versions of the firmware?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
A UK 505 will have a 1.2.xxx firmware, which mainly differs from the US 1.1.xxxx firmware in that the displayed date format is in dd/mm/yyyy format, rather than the US mm/dd/yyyy format.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there any indication that Sony is working on any updates to the firmware to be released in the foreseeable future?

If so, are there any hints as to what improvements it might bring?

Last edited by ahi; 05-21-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added one more question
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just received my refurbished US PRS-505 from Dell yesterday. And just now checked the firmware and I have a newer firmware (1.1.01.25200) than what's reported on Sony's site (1.1.00.18040).

Unfortunately I'm new to the PRS-505 so I don't know what's changed.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They've only done the one public update, which was the 1.1 which added ePub & PDF reflow, although the UK, French & German releases came with 1.2, 1.3 & (iirc) 1.4 firmwares. The core behaviour appears the same, with the 1.2 having a European date format, while 1.3 has localisation support (not sure about 1.4).

As noted, the point versions have been creeping up, but there's no information about what the changes are nor any way of updating to them...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I just received my refurbished US PRS-505 from Dell yesterday. And just now checked the firmware and I have a newer firmware (1.1.01.25200) than what's reported on Sony's site (1.1.00.18040).

Unfortunately I'm new to the PRS-505 so I don't know what's changed.
I just picked up a PRS-505 at Target (I finally gave in). I also have the 1.1.01.25200 firmware. Does anyone know what's different, fixed, broken, etc.? I wonder why Sony has older firmware posted for download.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard

I hope/guess it's an indication that the issues it fixes aren't serious or frequent enough to make it worth creating a new update release!

I guess if someone could dump their 1.1.01 firmware (via the Univeral Flasher utility) & upload it somewhere, we coud try & compare, but I'm not sure how much info we'd get.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

<Not sure if it's MR or my browser, but something odd happened there to cause a double-post...>
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I hope/guess it's an indication that the issues it fixes aren't serious or frequent enough to make it worth creating a new update release!

I guess if someone could dump their 1.1.01 firmware (via the Univeral Flasher utility) & upload it somewhere, we coud try & compare, but I'm not sure how much info we'd get.
I'd gladly be willing to do this... but does the universal flasher work on linux? I can only see zip files there and that's not usually a good sign for me.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard

You'll need an SD card, but it should just be a matter of unzipping the UF onto the card then inserting it into the 505, at which point a menu should be shown, which (IIRC) should have something like a "Backup" option. AIUI, that should create a backup image in a 'tmp' folder somewhere (either on the card or on the Reader itself, I think) which should then be accessable via the normal USB access.

(I've not tried this myself & it's been a while since I did use the UF, so this is partly from memory & partly from memory of reading the script!)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
notsure
Zealot

Thanks gwynevans, I'll give it a go over the weekend and report back.

Cheers.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
notsure
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You'll need an SD card, but it should just be a matter of unzipping the UF onto the card then inserting it into the 505, at which point a menu should be shown, which (IIRC) should have something like a "Backup" option. AIUI, that should create a backup image in a 'tmp' folder somewhere (either on the card or on the Reader itself, I think) which should then be accessable via the normal USB access.

(I've not tried this myself & it's been a while since I did use the UF, so this is partly from memory & partly from memory of reading the script!)
I see no backup option... do you mean 5. make a new image?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard

Sorry - been away for the w/e (and still got some things to sort here). No, I thought there was an explict option to backup the device - I'll need to have a dig around & re-post when I've investigated...
Old 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard

It's the dump script mentioned here I was thinking of. You should see just the one menu item ("3. Run script.sh") which when run, will take a couple of mins to complete. Once complete if you then plugin the Reader to a PC, there'll be a tmp/ folder with 2 img file & a log file.

Last edited by gwynevans; 05-25-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fix typo