Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #511
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Anyone know of any zombie stories that have as their locale the fetid swamps of the Louisiana bayous? Or anything about Zombies vs. Hillbillies encounters in Appalachia?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #512
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Anyone know of any zombie stories that have as their locale the fetid swamps of the Louisiana bayous? Or anything about Zombies vs. Hillbillies encounters in Appalachia?
Bayous and Bourbon Street in Lucius Shepard's Green Eyes. It's a great book and brings in some of the more "traditional" voodoo-based zombie lore in conjunction with the reanimated corpses, but it's definitely NOT a typical "Romero brain-eater zombie" novel.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #513
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Anyone ever read "The Reanimation of Edward Schuett"? I highly recommend it!

I'm now reading "Resident Evil Zero Hour", just started!
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #514
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitanic View Post
Anyone ever read "The Reanimation of Edward Schuett"? I highly recommend it!

I'm now reading "Resident Evil Zero Hour", just started!

Tell us why you recommend it.....I want to know more.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #515
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Tell us why you recommend it.....I want to know more.
Well, you see the zombie world from a different perspective. Edward was infected by the virus and returns to being human 50 years later, in a changed world due to the infection.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #516
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Jonathan Maberry's sequel to Dead of Night, Fall of Night, has been released.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #517
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Well, you see the zombie world from a different perspective. Edward was infected by the virus and returns to being human 50 years later, in a changed world due to the infection.

Ok. Thank you.

The premise sounds intriguing.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #518
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Anger makes you stupid. Stupid gets you killed.
Hurrah for zombie books. I just watched World War Z and I plan to read the books soon. It was great to see the movie first. On a similar note, I watch the Walking Dead Series but never read the books, maybe on 2016.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #519
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Seeing as this thread has revived I will contribute my 2 cents worth. I enjoyed the Apocalypse Z books which have been mentioned earlier in this thread. A very good job of translation.

Another series I have been enjoying is Owen Baillie's "Invasion of the Dead". The first book, Aftermath, far surpassed my admittedly very low initial expectations. I think I wrote a comment on Amazon to the effect that the book was surprisingly good. Successive books have each improved as this relatively new Indie Author gets better and better at his craft. Well worth a read.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #520
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Seeing as this thread has revived I will contribute my 2 cents worth. I enjoyed the Apocalypse Z books which have been mentioned earlier in this thread. A very good job of translation.

Another series I have been enjoying is Owen Baillie's "Invasion of the Dead". The first book, Aftermath, far surpassed my admittedly very low initial expectations. I think I wrote a comment on Amazon to the effect that the book was surprisingly good. Successive books have each improved as this relatively new Indie Author gets better and better at his craft. Well worth a read.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have just bought Aftermath from Amazon, and will give it a go once I have finished Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #521
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I have just bought Aftermath from Amazon, and will give it a go once I have finished Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.
It doesn't always work out taking a chance on the opinion of others, but the beauty of Indies is that we don't break the bank in doing so. Hope you like it. I haven't yet read Mr Mercedes, but it's hard to go wrong with Stephen King.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #522
Lusitanic
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Anger makes you stupid. Stupid gets you killed.
Hurrah for zombie books. I just watched World War Z and I plan to read the books soon. It was great to see the movie first. On a similar note, I watch the Walking Dead Series but never read the books, maybe on 2016.
Let us know of your impressions after reading the book!
I read World War Z too, there were some really good parts in it. I also saw the movie, and was shocked by how different I felt it was. The movie was a disappointment, I felt that zombies were very high on testosterone, different from what I'm used to see on TV.

If you like zombies, there's a tv shows called Z nation. It's first season just finished last month, give it a try
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #523
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Let us know of your impressions after reading the book!
I read World War Z too, there were some really good parts in it. I also saw the movie, and was shocked by how different I felt it was. The movie was a disappointment, I felt that zombies were very high on testosterone, different from what I'm used to see on TV.

If you like zombies, there's a tv shows called Z nation. It's first season just finished last month, give it a try
Thank you for the recommendation Lusitanic. I'll give the season premiere episode a shot during the weekend
I had to laugh when you mentioned that the zombies looked like they were very high on testosterone in the movie. They really were. Hahaha.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #524
Lusitanic
Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Thank you for the recommendation Lusitanic. I'll give the season premiere episode a shot during the weekend
I had to laugh when you mentioned that the zombies looked like they were very high on testosterone in the movie. They really were. Hahaha.

I forgot to mention, Z nation also has some abnormally fast zombies. It is not as good as the walking dead, but still entertaining, it has some original episodes.
If I were to rate it, giving "the walking dead" 10/10, I'd give Z nation a 5/10.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #525
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Myke Cole's GEMINI CELL is technically a zombie novel. No fetid swamps in it that I know of, but if it's any comparison to his other work it'll be one heck of a read. Basic premise is a U.S. Navy SEAL gets killed on duty, then gets reanimated due to a secret magical resurgence in the modern military.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote