Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #766
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
kaito, thanks for your feeback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito View Post
just need to add "= > >> buttons next.
For you and other people wanting to develop their own KUAL 2.0 buttons, see https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KUAL_What's_New, and also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205610 (first three messages). The latter was written for the older KUAL 0.3 but most of the information there is still valid, and it's a fully worked out example.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #767
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I added that link to the top text earlier mate. (in the FAQ section)

@kaito - no that "redrawing" I think you are talking about is "expected" - the new caching system should allow for super fast loading with even huge lists of extensions (like mine) but does have the side-effect of causing a reload when the underlying extension system is detected as changed.

If you mean something else let us know.
Seems okay on all the devices I have tested. Dx, 3, 4, 5, PW.

Last edited by twobob; 05-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #768
kaito
Connoisseur
kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.kaito understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: k3w, gloHD
I am not able to screen capture the redraw flicker when loading KUAL, but it is minor so I will ignore it.

Attached screenshot is what I meant by mplayer buttons (instead of having a big button for each pause/ff/rewind), but I don't think it is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kss.png
Views:	471
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	105555  
kaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #769
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I added that link to the top text earlier mate. (in the FAQ section)
Oops, sorry, I had forgotten I had asked you.

Nice new screenies you added in the top post. Everything is very clear.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #770
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito View Post
I am not able to screen capture the redraw flicker when loading KUAL, but it is minor so I will ignore it.

Attached screenshot is what I meant by mplayer buttons (instead of having a big button for each pause/ff/rewind), but I don't think it is possible.
No, sorry, not possible with KUAL 2.0.

But it's a very interesting concept. I can think of ways to express it in JSON. The horizontal multi-button can be thought of as a regular sub-menu but with a horizontal layout, which could be expressed with a new key/value pair (for sub-menu items) "layout":"horizontal". Then we'd need a new key/value pair (for any item) to replace the label with an icon, say "icon":"/path/to/resource".

Maybe in KUAL 3, who knows...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #771
haro138
haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.haro138 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
@haro138
drop update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_devcerts_install.bin to root via USB
eject kindle, unplug USB, system menu, update

when kindle restarts
drop update_k5_ALL_PW_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bin to root via USB
eject kindle, unplug USB, system menu, update

let us know what happens
So I went ahead and tried doing this exactly as you said however after going to menu > settings > menu the "Update Your Kindle" option is still gray.

The first four digits of my serial number are B011.

Maybe this is very relevant or not but since I have not been able to register it. When I attempt to register it I get an "ERROR Internal-Error message." By the way you guys have a great community I appreciate the fast responses.
haro138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #772
Jwing
Enthusiast
Jwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle PW
Tks guys for this new Kual. I was anxioulsy expecting fot that. This drilling buttons are very useful, it prevents me from pressing buttons accidentaly.

Although, I noticed that some extensions aren't showing up in Kual, such as: Back Door Lock and File Explorer. Do they need to be updated to work properly? All I did was replace this old kual file for that new one.
Jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #773
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi!

Someone can make a list which extensions, programs, games working on paperwhite in KUAL of course and where is the download link? I don't find in the first and second post.

Thanks!
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #774
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwing View Post
Although, I noticed that some extensions aren't showing up in Kual, such as: Back Door Lock and File Explorer. Do they need to be updated to work properly? All I did was replace this old kual file for that new one.
By design KUAL 2 is less forgiving of invalid JSON syntax. Some existing extensions included invalid syntax, so they don't show up. KUAL should tell you which extensions break syntax. Check the log file (button provided the KUAL sub-menu).
Another thing you could do is to post here config.xml and menu.json of the misbehaving extensions. If the log file includes error messages, post that as well. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #775
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
Hi!

Someone can make a list which extensions, programs, games working on paperwhite in KUAL of course and where is the download link? I don't find in the first and second post.

Thanks!
In the first post, can you see the spoiler labeled
Quote:
So what can you do with this?
Run other applications
Spoiler: Open
Open the spoiler and you'll find links to the relevant threads.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #776
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank You! I missed that.
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #777
Jwing
Enthusiast
Jwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchforkJwing can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
By design KUAL 2 is less forgiving of invalid JSON syntax. Some existing extensions included invalid syntax, so they don't show up. KUAL should tell you which extensions break syntax. Check the log file (button provided the KUAL sub-menu).
Another thing you could do is to post here config.xml and menu.json of the misbehaving extensions. If the log file includes error messages, post that as well. Thanks.
Ok, I'm attaching the extensions that are not working as also the log file. In the Kual sub-menu, there is a icon related to one of the misbehaving extension with a black round mark beside it.

Sorry, I have no knowledge at all regarding these programming things. So, I can't provide any further information.

Tks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kual.png
Views:	373
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	105567   Click image for larger version

Name:	log 1.png
Views:	387
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	105568   Click image for larger version

Name:	log 2.png
Views:	350
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	105569  

Last edited by twobob; 05-08-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: removed broken downloads
Jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #778
stepk
Groupie

KUAL 2 self-help example

Thanks for the screenshots. I took some on my own, so I can show you and others how to go about this kind of issue. First of all, when KUAL displays a black disc in its sub-menu title and/or in the breadcrumb line that's a sign of attention. With reference to the screenshots below, I placed just the backdoorlock folder in /mnt/us/extensions and started KUAL, and got a black eye, I mean, disc (shot #1).
Click the KUAL sub-menu and get further details. Click the syntax button (#2) and see message "More info in KUAL.log" (#3).
Now, this message should appear in the breadcrumb line (screen top) but instead it appears in the status line (screen bottom) where it's less visible. It's a bug, I will fix it and place the message back in the breadcrumb line.
You want to see the log file, so click "Save and reset KUAL log" (#4) then quit KUAL and scroll to the document named KUAL-20yy-mm-etc. and open it. Mine's shown in #5.
This is where it can get too technical for some people, but bear with me. That message means something's wrong with file /mnt/us/extensions/menu.json. You need to fix that file. (The actual file path will change depending on the contents of your extensions folder.) Open the file in your favorite editor, and find the spot where KUAL thinks there's an error. In this example KUAL's saying the it was expecting a value (like a string or a number) but found a closed square bracket instead. It also shows you where that happened, in this case the offending square bracket follows "bin/move.sh" } , Mmm... that dangling comma doesn't look right. Delete it (the comma), save menu.json and restart KAUL.
Now the extension shows up! (#6)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kual-1.png
Views:	707
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	105576   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual-2.png
Views:	698
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	105577   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual-3.png
Views:	712
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	105578   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual-4.png
Views:	663
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	105579   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual-5.png
Views:	701
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	105580   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual-6.png
Views:	690
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	105581  
Attached Files
File Type: txt backdoorlock-fixed-menu.json.txt (558 Bytes, 548 views)

Last edited by stepk; 05-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #779
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwing View Post
Ok, I'm attaching the extensions that are not working as also the log file. In the Kual sub-menu, there is a icon related to one of the misbehaving extension with a black round mark beside it.

Sorry, I have no knowledge at all regarding these programming things. So, I can't provide any further information.

Tks.
I don't know what's wrong with the explorer extension. I can't unpack some files in the rar archive that you attached. But I could open menu.json and its syntax is valid. Please note that config.xml is corrupted. If that's also the case on your kindle then KUAL won't be able to find menu.json and therefore will not display the extension.

Quote:
Extracting explorer/bin/explorer Failed
Extracting explorer/bin/explorer.sh Failed
Extracting explorer/bin/res/about.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/back.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/close.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/copy.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/delete.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/edit.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/execute.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/file.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/folder.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/MainWindow.glade Failed
Extracting explorer/bin/res/paste.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/program.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/rename.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/terminal.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/up.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/view.png OK
Extracting explorer/bin/res/ViewImage.glade Failed
Extracting explorer/bin/res/ViewText.glade Failed
Extracting explorer/config.xml Failed
Extracting explorer/menu.json OK
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #780
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
That message means something's wrong with file /mnt/us/extensions/menu.json.

I went and fixed the one on the original page and advised dsmid I had done it.

Next up... Explorer thingy.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified