Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A Reader is mostly for reading. A tablet can do many different things. The video was saying that it's too easy to be distracted reading with a tablet then a Reader. The video also says that the guy with the Reader gets the girl while the guy with the tablet gets attacked by a cat.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Ummm ... I'm in the US, and I much prefer reading on my ereader to my tablet.
Me, too, by far.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
My cat doesn't care ...

... whether I read on my Kindle Keyboard, my Kindle Fire, or my iPad (or notebook PC).

Whenever she sees me using any kind of electronic device, she immediately comes up and positions herself between myself and the device, to get my attention.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The video also says that the guy with the Reader gets the girl while the guy with the tablet gets attacked by a cat.
I should show it to my wife, she might be convinced to get me a tablet
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of advertising no matter what it is. I firmly believe that if you have a truly superior product advertising is either counter productive and/or not necessary. I tend to do business with companies that tend to agree.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
I prefer my Eink reader to the tablet when reading in sunlight, and I love the battery life...
but the tablet allows me to use all the book stores and software plus use e-mail and many other things

JUST TURN OFF THE INSTANT NOTIFICATIONS
either SMS or E-mail

problem solved

if a person can't figure that out, they should stay away from technology completely and stick to paperbacks or hardbacks
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of advertising no matter what it is. I firmly believe that if you have a truly superior product advertising is either counter productive and/or not necessary. I tend to do business with companies that tend to agree.
Just because you have a superior product does not mean that you don't need to advertise. You advertise to get the word out that your product exists and that is is better then the competition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
Hey TGS
If you are advertising for US and other big smartphone markets try to target audience that uses tablets and smartphones instead of eReaders devices.
I'm not.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
My cat doesn't care ...

... whether I read on my Kindle Keyboard, my Kindle Fire, or my iPad (or notebook PC).

Whenever she sees me using any kind of electronic device, she immediately comes up and positions herself between myself and the device, to get my attention.

Best regards,
Andy
What *is* it with cats and keyboards, anyway?

(Keybounce?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
It can't be only the keyboard (otherwise my iPad and Kindle Fire would be cat-safe).

But yes, I guess the keyboard certainly adds to the fun from the cats point of view (when the user gets frantic in order to avoid gibberish e-mails getting sent out).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What *is* it with cats and keyboards, anyway?

(Keybounce?)

Dogs are too big.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
You pay attention to the keyboard. The cat wants that attention. It's the same reason that cat lays on your newspaper. Of course, with a laptop, the cat will lay on it for the heat. Supposedly cats bother you while you're on the phone, because they see you talking, but there's no one else there, so the cat thinks you're talking to them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Notifications and Angry Birds don't bother me when I'm reading on my tablet. I just ignore them. The only things I can't ignore while reading are:

a) the kids (usually ominous quiet, followed by THUD! WAH! DAAAADDDYYYY!)
b) the awful sloshing, toilet plunging sound the dog makes just before he throws up.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I see nothing wrong with it. . .

The point is, for FOCUSED reading, as mentioned at the end of the ad, multi-function devices ARE capable of presenting you with distractions. That isn't made up. I think most of us are more than capable of deciding just how likely we are to encounter those distractions.

Personally, I am moving away from dedicated eInk readers and towards the multifunction device, but I have no problem with the eInk people reminding me of what a dedicated reader is capable of.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1971 View Post
JUST TURN OFF THE INSTANT NOTIFICATIONS
either SMS or E-mail
And here's the rub: my phone doesn't make it easy to set out a "do-not-disturb" setting when I'm reading, and a "please-interrupt-me" setting when I'm sitting in a dull meeting. Because my phone and tablet do a bunch of activities besides reading, their very multifunction nature makes them distracting to use while reading. Or I can spend 2 minutes turning off the notifications I don't want while I'm reading, and then another 2 minutes when I'm done. But heaven help me if I forget to turn the notifications back on!

And no setting can overcome the migraine-inducing glare when reading my tablet in a well-lit space.

What I'd really like to see is an eInk cell phone.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote