Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Mslangston
Mslangston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlefire
Red face Printing in Sigil

Hello to the Community!
I am writing to ask a question regarding Sigil. I am done with editing and want to print the whole novel out. I can't see how to do that all at once. Only see option page by page and it doesn't look right in the print preview. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks so much for your answers.
Ms. L
Mslangston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One suggestion I see repeated on the forums is to open it in Adobe Digital Editions and print it from there.

Unless they have spent some time on it lately, the print function in Sigil is not one which has received much work and was considered for elimination entirely at one point.

Last edited by mrmikel; 08-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A typical (properly sized for common devices) EPUB is a multi-file source. Most common is file per chapter with additional files in front and at the end.

I am not sure any program can print the book in one go.

IIRC Calibre's e-book-viewer can print, but it may also be limited to the current section.
I can't imagine printing an e-bbok...That is why I have a portable reader (small screen) and the Laptop for large (for full sized pages) screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One article I read suggested using Calibre to convert your epub to a pdf which can be easily printed using Acrobat Reader. It could take some fiddling with settings to get it to appear right.

This is the article: http://loriswp.wordpress.com/2011/07...rm-protection/
Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Mslangston

Thank you for that suggestion mrmikel, will try. I started cutting and pasting each page back to Word, so we'll see. What were they thinking?!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone

It is simply that epubs and printed documents have little in common execpt the content. A printed page has each word, paragraph, heading in a specific location on a specific page.

A epub reflows, as you change the size of the text, so text that would be on page 5 in the original could be on page 9 in an epub.

You might consider using Merger, a program which merges html pages, mostly used to turn a website into a book. But you could unzip your epub (an epub is only a specialized zip file) and then use Merger to merge everything together. It is a bit cranky, but probably easier than using cut and paste which might introduce extra line spacing, paragraph markers or breaks when you paste it back.

Some of the shortcomings of epubs can be addressed by agressive indexing (for books that require indexing) and Sigil has a special function for it.

There is no print book however, where you have a large print versions and a normal print version at the same time. With epubs you can have often 3 or more text sizes to suit the reader.

This make it hard to make a set of assumptions of what you should do with the text for printing.

A pdf, however unglamorous, solves this problem by being printable and to some extent reflowable. If it is for personal or small organization use, it is a good solution, as most ereaders and tablets can display pdfs.

For your purposes as I understand them, I think I would finish laying out the printed book as you want it and use it as your standard to work the epub around to capture all the important elements of layout in the printed version. But some things like tables display poorly as they do very badly when increased in size.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had this challenge recently. Following a suggestion (I think on MobileRead) I just opened the epub in Calibre, saved as RTF, opened the RTF in Word, and printed from there.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Mslangston

Thanks so much for your answer!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Also can convert EPUB to PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I had this challenge recently. Following a suggestion (I think on MobileRead) I just opened the epub in Calibre, saved as RTF, opened the RTF in Word, and printed from there.
Works great with the text but ignores images, which is not a big problem for me. Thanks for the good tip.

I don't have the need to physically print a book on paper, but I have wanted to convert EPUB to PDF on several occasions. calibre admits that its forte is not converting to PDF; formatting problems occur.

However, it's very easy to convert the RTF to PDF using a PDF converter. I use a freeware version of PrimoPDF (don't know if it's still free). The RTF converts into a well-formatted PDF. I didn't think of converting EPUB to RTF to PDF until I saw your tip.

Thanks,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Works great with the text but ignores images, which is not a big problem for me. Thanks for the good tip.

I don't have the need to physically print a book on paper, but I have wanted to convert EPUB to PDF on several occasions. calibre admits that its forte is not converting to PDF; formatting problems occur.

However, it's very easy to convert the RTF to PDF using a PDF converter. I use a freeware version of PrimoPDF (don't know if it's still free). The RTF converts into a well-formatted PDF. I didn't think of converting EPUB to RTF to PDF until I saw your tip.

Thanks,
Marty
LibreOffice comes with a Export to PDF button
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
LibreOffice comes with a Export to PDF button
PrimoPDF installs as a virtual printer which gives Word a "print to PDF" function. It isn't limited to Word or MS Office. Any format that can be printed on paper can print to PDF. (doc, txt, rtf, xls, jpg, bmp, png etc.)

I started using Microsoft Office when the '95 version came out and have updated a couple of times since then. I'm hooked ... it meets my needs and I know it forwards and backwards. I'm too old and comfortable to change.

Marty
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Word also has that save to pdf build in for quite some time already.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If PDF is what you want, you could try this. With some tweaking it can give a very good result.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
MartyTX
Dedicated

Thank you ...

theducks, Toxaris, Jellby,

I appreciate the info you posted about several good PDF alternatives.

Thanks,
Marty