Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
jberryj17
jberryj17
jberryj17 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 10
Smile Anne McCaffrey 'Rowan' series as ebooks (prefer epub)

Hi all!

I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself as well as ask a question, since I am a new member and first time poster. My name is Jamie and I am from just outside of Dallas, TX. I am an EXTREMELY avid reader and I enjoy pretty much all genres - from crime fiction to historical fiction to fantasy!

My question today has to do with Anne McCaffrey's wonderful works. I read MANY of them in regular book for my, of course, but now I'm interested in 'filling in the gaps' and either reading the books I haven't yet read or re-reading some old favorites - - but medical issues require that I must use an ex reader now. :-(

I am having difficulty finding the 'Rowan' series in ebook format (epub or Kindle would work best).

Can anyone kindly let me know where I might find this series? And I'd of course also be interested in any site that might offer such old books for a good price, as 8-14 dollars seems a bit much for books I originally read 20-plus years ago! haha :-)

Any help is much appreciated - - I look forward to talking with and meeting you all!

Thank you so much!
Jamie
jberryj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberryj17 View Post
I am having difficulty finding the 'Rowan' series in ebook format (epub or Kindle would work best).

Can anyone kindly let me know where I might find this series? And I'd of course also be interested in any site that might offer such old books for a good price, as 8-14 dollars seems a bit much for books I originally read 20-plus years ago! haha :-)
The Rowan and others in that series seem to be only available in the UK, and then at £7.50 or so, with no discounts available.

I suggest you leave it for a year or two until they come to their senses on back-title pricing.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
jberryj17
jberryj17

Yes, but that would require patience - and I'm in rather short supply of that lately!

Is there any way for those of us in the US to be able to buy ebooks that are for sale in the UK? It just seems it's taking a ridiculously long time to get especially the older books to be available here these days. ;( I wish there was a good and easy solution.

That for your reply!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberryj17 View Post
Is there any way for those of us in the US to be able to buy ebooks that are for sale in the UK?
I don't know the exact setup, but there are threads around here from people who have created Kobo accounts with a UK address and then either bought and downloaded through that account or bought through that account and then gifted to their US account. Not sure of the particulars, like if you need to use a VPN, but if I find one of those threads I'll post a link.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know the exact setup, but there are threads around here from people who have created Kobo accounts with a UK address and then either bought and downloaded through that account or bought through that account and then gifted to their US account. Not sure of the particulars, like if you need to use a VPN, but if I find one of those threads I'll post a link.
I didn't need to do all that. I just setup an account with a valid UK address and use Paypal to purchase. I don't use a vpn.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If you ever need a VPN check out tunnelbear. It has a free version.
http://www.tunnelbear.com/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Rowan and others in that series seem to be only available in the UK, and then at £7.50 or so, with no discounts available.
They're available from Diesel books (http://www.diesel-ebooks.com) and are priced at $11.03 in their sale.

What a shame that Books on Board are no longer trading as I bought the last three in the series for £4.34 each at the end of last year!
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Do you really want to read them or "listen to them"? I have that series not on ebook but audio book. You can get them from audible. I was surprised at this question since I started to listen to "The Rowen" yesterday for my birthday. It is one of my favorites.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
They're available from Diesel books (http://www.diesel-ebooks.com) and are priced at $11.03 in their sale.

What a shame that Books on Board are no longer trading as I bought the last three in the series for £4.34 each at the end of last year!
Interesting. What DRM do they use?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. What DRM do they use?
Just ADE. I own two Sony readers and I haven't had a problem reading books purchased from Diesel. I assume they would be OK on a Kobo reader and any other reader not tied to a manufacturer specific version of DRM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alas, geo restricted
Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
MickiTee
Guru

Try again before the end of the month. Diesel have a promo on until then which removes the geographical restrictions on most pusblishers. If a book has 'Promo Eligible' below the wish list button you might be able to buy it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Alas, they were more than happy to let me buy it. They just won't let me download it. Sigh. Now, I get the joy of trying to get a refund. btw, both books that I tried to buy (Dragonsinger and Dragonsong) are listed as promo eligible.

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Alas, they were more than happy to let me buy it. They just won't let me download it. Sigh. Now, I get the joy of trying to get a refund. btw, both books that I tried to buy (Dragonsinger and Dragonsong) are listed as promo eligible.
Well, at least they made the refund very painless. Can't really complain, other than I would have rather had the ebooks, but I can't say that it's their fault.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
jberryj17
jberryj17

Ugh, I'm still trying to figure all this out. Thank you SO MUCH to those of you who have responded here as well as messaged me!! I have been dealing with medical issues (fun! :-(), so this is unfortunately the first time I have been able to get back on the Internet since my OP. :-(

Thus, I have gotten no further in my quest to locate Anne's 'Rowan' series of ebooks. :-( And thank you to those of you who informed me these are available on Audible, but I would really like to actually read these.

Side note : there is another series that I began reading, but for some reason, only the first 3 books out of the 12-book series were available here in the US (it's just mind boggling how many books are restricted for the US, but are available in THE UK - - does anyone happen to know WHY this is, just out of curiosity?). Anyway, the series is the 'Poldark novels' by Winston Graham. They are best classified as historical fiction, but they are also pretty much character studies. The series starts off a bit slowly and seems like it won't be very interesting, but once I get into them, I just really couldn't put them down!

ANYWAY... the whole series is available for purchase on the Diesel site right now, and I am signed in on my account and have been able to add them all to my cart! :-) They all say 'promo eligible'.

However, I have a few concerns :

-I am worried about what happened to pwalker--so what exactly happened? Diesel let you purchase the books, but then wouldn't allow you to download them? I'm wondering if that could be avoided by using a different payment method maybe? For instance, would Paypal perhaps work? Like if I were to add cash to the account so I wouldn't have to use a US bank account or credit card, is it possible that might make a difference?

-also, after purchasing if I am allowed to download them, what ereader apps (I have have a Google Nexus 10 tablet running Android Jellybean 4.2.2) would I be able to read them in? I have a bunch of apps, like Cool Reader, moonReader pro, Aldiko paid version, etc. Would any of these work? I'm sorry, I'm just not familiar with how the Diesel site works. :-(

And, since I just saw that a poster said the Rowan books are also available from that site, I'd like to of course get those, too! However, I am very concerned about what happened to pwalker, so if anyone can provide some input as to how I might best avoid getting denied the download of the books after purchasing, I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT! :-)

I guess I'll hold off on hitting the buy button until I get some feedback from you all. Gosh, it would be SOOOOO wonderful if I was finally able to get all these books I've wanted for so long! :-)

**on the subject of Diesel, does anyone happen to be familiar with the new "eFreedom 'app they are advertising on their site? it is supposed to let you transfer DRM protected material from other apps, and it says it uses HTML5.I am very intrigued but the descriptions on their site don't quite make sense to me. :-( Also, I could not find my device on the list of' supported ' ones, but sometimes my tablet is listed under different names, so it's hard to tell. I have a Google Nexus 10 tablet running Android Jellybean 4.2.2, and it's actually manufactured by Samsung - - so if anyone happens to know more about the app, or is able to determine if my tablet will work with it, I'd love to hear!

Please feel free to message me about anything - - help is greatly appreciated! :-)

Thanks so much for your help and I hope you are all having a wonderful day!! :-)

Jamie

Last edited by jberryj17; 05-23-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: auto-correct typed the wrong thing