Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
how's this for a launch strategy

Price Dragons and Dreams at $4.99 per DWS's advice. Have it up in KDP Select for 3 months.

Shortly after D&D is released, put out Bridge of 7 Stones (or whatever title I settle on), $0.99 for a 10-page story.

When I get it done, or a month after, put out Heart of Rock at $0.99, but try to make it perma-free.

I'm a bit doubtful about the value of the perma-free. It might get people to look at my writing, but since everything is so very different, I don't want people to get Heart of Rock and think that they're getting more of the same - it is, in the widest sense, because they're all fairy tales, but the writing style of each one is very different.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Ah, but the thing is that people come back because they want more of the same. Not identical, of course, but they don't come back looking for something completely different either.

I don't have the experience or expertise to offer much in the way of advice for the launch strategy. At least a month between releases seems a good idea, but I do wonder whether your free offering (if you provide one) should be your first release - something for people to read when the paid ones come and decide they like your style enough to invest. On the other hand, with the strategy you outline above, you get the chance to evaluate whether you really want to offer one of them for free at all. IF things go well with the first two you may decide it's not necessary. And since it is unlikely that anything will happen quickly anyway, there is probably not much to lose by trying what you have planned. (I'd better stop now, I'm getting dents in my rear end from all this fence sitting. )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
With out permafree I would not be selling books. It is that cut and dry simple.

My first book cost 99 cents for months and nothing sold... the DAY it went permafree I saw couple THOUSAND downloads... and then book 2 started selling.

I can only speak for my own experience, but nothing has come even remotely close to the advertising and promotion power that permafree has for me.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just finished Let's Get Visible by David Gaughran, which covers launch strategies among other things. I highly recommend you read it before you launch, it's well worth the $5 price.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got it when it was on sale for 0.99 - then I picked up the earlier book too, although that one was preaching to the choir I think.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I got it when it was on sale for 0.99 - then I picked up the earlier book too, although that one was preaching to the choir I think.
Fair enough. Let's Get Visible has better advice than I could offer :-)
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

It'll be one short story, published at B&N with a price of 0.00 - Amazon doesn't let you set a price of free, but they'll price match if you have it set free at other places. Apparently it's good advertising, to have the first book in your series as free.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylimpei View Post
Hi, can i ask what's permafree?

Yes, you can.

It is when you make one of your books/etc free, permanently. As in, not a sale, or temporary give away, but completely free for ever. It is usually done with the first book of a series so that if they enjoy book 1, they will buy book 2,3,4 and so on.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote