dswellhauser
dswellhauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just updated the plugin and the new one works fine....thanks :-D
dswellhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #182
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Not so sure about this one. I would assume this is perhaps for similar reasons as Vaesse of wanting to keep track of books on the device and potentially having tags set? Or some other reason? I can see that it could be useful for people to have say a tag for each such list, which would allow them to see at a glance who has what on their devices. Or even just being able to see a list without the tags.

There are however a number of issues that come to mind.
- Such a list needs to be kept up to date after any other actions cause the device to be updated, whether you manually use the remove or send to device menus, or force sync another list to the device. I don't even know if it is possible to hook into those non plugin menu actions, and once your list loses integrity, you will have to Force Sync it or reconnect the device to get it back up to date.
- Also such a list might need to be read only from a user perspective, or else you will get into conflict situations. So not allowing manual add, remove or clear actions.
- Would you allow even changing list ordering - possibly I guess.

Will ponder this one, it might involve a fair amount of work and I gave less spare time nowadays. Feel free to comment on whether my understanding is correct and whether you think it useful.
My workflow keeps evolving as the tools evolve

I find that I'm using auto-synced add and remove lists as the main (but not only) means of loading/unloading readers, and having multiple add lists turns out to be really handy.

Then, after the auto-sync, I'm manually setting a list to what's on the reader so that I can later (in Calibre) enter notes, decide what to add/remove, know which reader has what, etc.
Which isn't exactly a hardship -- but I admit it would be nice to have the last auto-sync job be creating that list, so I could just plug the reader in, forget about it for a while, then unplug & go.

I'm fine with the idea that it is only a snapshot at the time of the last [auto]sync -- if I indulge in manual updates/syncs I can certainly reconnect or force sync to update it (or even edit it) if I care.

I wouldn't make it read-only -- in fact I can imagine times I might prefer to mess with it.

Thanks for running the 'remove' jobs first -- it makes it possible to swap out a bunch of books automatically
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #183
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Is there a way to move a book from one list to another? Right now I'm deleting it from one list and adding it to another.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #184
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
After having read through 182 quite sophisticated posts, I am embarrassed to be asking this trivial question, since no one else seems to have this problem. How do you enter "List keyboard shortcut"? I've tried "a", "alt-k", "ctrl-k" (these are samples and entered in "Customize plugin" without the quotes), but nothing works".

Thanks for any help.

denysm
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #185
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@beckywc - not currently no. As you are currently doing you must manually remove from one and add to another. If others request a "move" type menu item I will add it.

@denysm - make sure you use "+" rather than "-". So try "Ctrl+K" (without the quotes). Also you must make sure it does not conflict with any other Calibre shortcuts.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #186
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
If others request a "move" type menu item I will add it.
I vote for it !
I maintain 2 lists, "Current" and "Next" . It would be great to move books from one list to an other easily.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #187
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:

@denysm - make sure you use "+" rather than "-". So try "Ctrl+K" (without the quotes). Also you must make sure it does not conflict with any other Calibre shortcuts.
Thank you kiwidude - problem solved.

denysm
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #188
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
I vote for it !
I maintain 2 lists, "Current" and "Next" . It would be great to move books from one list to an other easily.
I, too, have a Currently Reading and To Be Read list, as I finish reading a book in my Currently Reading I move the next book from To Be Read list to Currently Reading List.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #189
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thx to those who said they would like to see it. I guess the next question is how it should work. For instance, lets say there was a "Move to-> List names" menu...
  • What should it do if the book is already on two other lists - should it remove them from both?
  • What if the book is already on the destination, should it remove it from any source list(s)?
  • And what if the book is not on any other list? Should it go ahead and just add it anyway, or do nothing?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #190
beckywc
Addict

I think it should only be removed from the list you want the book move from and add it to the list you want to move it two. Or maybe have also an option similar to remove from all list, you move to a list and remove from other lists.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #191
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Ok, thx to those who said they would like to see it. I guess the next question is how it should work. For instance, lets say there was a "Move to-> List names" menu...
  • What should it do if the book is already on two other lists - should it remove them from both?
  • What if the book is already on the destination, should it remove it from any source list(s)?
  • And what if the book is not on any other list? Should it go ahead and just add it anyway, or do nothing?
1 and 2 : Ask the user ?
"Book Z is already in list B. What do you want to do ?"
For instance, dropdown menu :
- keep
- remove

3 Don't know, I don't understand this case
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #192
kiwidude

@Bertrand - good suggestion on asking the user. I guess the same can apply for 3 as well. Case 3 is where you do not have the book on any lists already, but you go ahead and right-click on one to try to "move" it to a list. I could just disable the menui item in this case, or I could prompt asking if you want to cancel or go ahead and just add to the target list.

@beckywc - the problem is that the plugin will not know without guidance which list you are wanting to move the book from - since the menu is only specifying a target. I don't want to turn this into a monstrously complex thing for people to use. I think prompting will be the way to go - if it finds that you have two source lists, it displays both for you to choose from (like the User Category plugin).
Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #193
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Or possibly configure list pair(s).
So when you say Move to John'sCurrentList it knows to remove it from John'sNextList (if it's there).

It seems like a lot of added configuration complexity, but otherwise you really don't save any clicks -- It only takes two menu actions to move a group of books as it is.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #194
beckywc
Addict

The way I was thinking is that let's say I'm viewing my To Be Read list, I select the book I want to move to my Currently reading list. I click the Reading list icon and there is a selection that says Move To you select that and it gives you a list of the other lists to move the book to.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #195
kiwidude

@beckywc - yes that would work provided I limited the functionality to only when you were viewing a specific list. However most of the plugin menu items work regardless of whether you are just browsing your library or in a specific list. I think the option would be more "useful" if you could kind of do it from anywhere? But hey, if everyone is happy just to do it when viewing a specific list that is easier to implement