Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle Paperwhite now ships with twice the storage

The blogosphere has finally noticed a change that MobileRead members reported a week ago: Amazon is shipping a new Kindle Paperwhite.

The 2014 Kindle Paperwhite looks identical to last year's model, but it comes with a special surprise. Amazon has bumped the available storage from 1.3GB to 3.1GB while keeping all the other specs the same.

The new model with the extra storage has been sighted in Canada, France, and Germany, but not the US. It looks like anyone who wants one will need to order it specifically. The link below will take you to the correct page.

Amazon hasn't announced or explained the change, simply saying that "This is not a new product – we’ve added more on-device storage to the existing Kindle Paperwhite".

Amazon.com

The Digital Reader

You can join the ongoing discussion here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Price is $139.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Perhaps it's as simple as streamlining production since the PW for Japan has had the higher storage from the start (or maybe they have a lot of the "Japanese models" unsold and this is a way to move them out). The "US model" may get it eventually as well if they sell through existing stocks before a new model comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Price is $139.
Same as the "US model" PW without special offers (which intl models don't have).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Same as the "US model" PW without special offers (which intl models don't have).
Yes, for US residents it is $20 more for the extra memory.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Yes, for US residents it is $20 more for the extra memory.
Well you can look at it that way I suppose, but if you're buying either model without special offers (apples to apples) the price is identical, $139 for either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well you can look at it that way I suppose, but if you're buying either model without special offers (apples to apples) the price is identical, $139 for either.
Most people go for the ad version, don't they?

If someone is interested in the extra memory, it may be better to wait until it officially hits the US and save $20.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Thank you Amazon for making it impossible for me to see how much storage the kindle has. The technical specifications state "holds over one thousand books". For a company whose customers are by definition literate, I'm surprised at how dubbed down they keep their product information.
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
Thank you Amazon for making it impossible for me to see how much storage the kindle has. The technical specifications state "holds over one thousand books". For a company whose customers are by definition literate, I'm surprised at how dubbed down they keep their product information.
Pretty hard to put the storage amount on your website when you're selling the identical model internationally and at the same equivalent price with 4gb memory and the U.S. version with 2gb memory. Aside from the wrath of U.S. customers, you're going to have the wrong spec on one of the 2 unless you create a new "model #". Easier just to leave the spec wide open.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Pretty hard to put the storage amount on your website when you're selling the identical model internationally and at the same equivalent price with 4gb memory and the U.S. version with 2gb memory. Aside from the wrath of U.S. customers, you're going to have the wrong spec on one of the 2 unless you create a new "model #". Easier just to leave the spec wide open.
Plus the model sold in Japan has always had 4GB of storage.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My Paperwhite I still works and I don't think the price I paid will be beaten any time soon. Eventually of course the PWI will stop working and I will probably buy one (with more memory space).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
My Paperwhite I still works and I don't think the price I paid will be beaten any time soon. Eventually of course the PWI will stop working and I will probably buy one (with more memory space).
My K4S still works great; and I'll continue using it until it gives up the ghost. Now if Amazon were to produce a Kindle with a flexible display, I'd seriously consider upgrading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #12
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I didn't buy the paperwhite mainly because of the low storage. I might reconsider now.
But I would still like 8G and page turn buttons. I really have no use for a light, my house has plenty.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Oh, will the next kindle be a non-touch replacement or pushed to 2015 ?
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I didn't buy the paperwhite mainly because of the low storage. I might reconsider now.
But I would still like 8G and page turn buttons. I really have no use for a light, my house has plenty.
I also really wonder why so many companies forgo the page turn buttons. My ideal ereader would have:

-physical page turn buttons like the nook
-an external memory slot
-run an open/rootable OS like android
-a high resolution display
-a well balanced backlight (easier to read even during the day)
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
I also really wonder why so many companies forgo the page turn buttons. My ideal ereader would have:

-physical page turn buttons like the nook
-an external memory slot
-run an open/rootable OS like android
-a high resolution display
-a well balanced backlight (easier to read even during the day)
http://smile.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-T6...words=onyx+t68

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote