Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
augustoz
augustoz will become famous soon enoughaugustoz will become famous soon enoughaugustoz will become famous soon enoughaugustoz will become famous soon enoughaugustoz will become famous soon enoughaugustoz will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Recommend Nook - I don't think so

I live in Australia & after searching this forum I purchased a Nook Color in February. Since that date Barnes & Noble tightened up on International sales & I can no longer purchase ebooks on their site, fair enough that's involved with publishing rights & I could buy books elsewhere anyhow.
Last week the Nook cable fell apart so I can no longer charge my Nook & B&N now refuse to send me a new cable even though I have offered to pay for the
International postage.
After I had been cut off earlier in the year from purchasing ebooks from them my wife was a bit smarter & purchased a Kindle, what a difference in attitude. Amazon welcomed her as a customer & have been fully supportive since then both in ebook sales & technical support.
The competition to be the dominant ebook supplier has been won & lost before it really got into stride, Kindle & Amazon by a country mile. B&N's approach to customers is awful & totally unprofessional.
I just joined the missus & ordered a Kindle 3.
I could not recommend B&N & Nook under any conditions.
Good luck B&N, boy your going to need it.
Augustoz
augustoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Is it really fair to compare an international ereader with an ereader that's restricted to a country that you are no where near?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
B&N do not sell outside the US. I can hardly blame them for not offering support to non-US residents. You took a chance buying the NC, and it is a shame that your cable broke, but I don't see how B&N are at fault here. Yes, they could be more open and go the extra mile knowing that people outside the US buy their products, but they are under no obligation to do so, it would open a whole new can of worms.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
B&N do not sell outside the US. I can hardly blame them for not offering support to non-US residents. You took a chance buying the NC, and it is a shame that your cable broke, but I don't see how B&N are at fault here. Yes, they could be more open and go the extra mile knowing that people outside the US buy their products, but they are under no obligation to do so, it would open a whole new can of worms.
Agreed. It is the chance you take when you buy a product that is not officially supported in your country.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
that nook color is beast mode. if they made an external keyboard for it, that would be IT!
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustoz View Post
Last week the Nook cable fell apart so I can no longer charge my Nook & B&N now refuse to send me a new cable even though I have offered to pay for the International postage.
The Nook Color uses a standard micro USB cable, doesn't it? You can pick these up by the dozen from eBay or local retailers.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have both the nook and nookcolor and I live in australia. I still have no problems
buying books and magazines via a vpn service and when I puchased these items I had to use a 3rd party becuase they would not sell it outside the US.

You can also still charge your NC with a normal micro usb plug, it just takes longer...
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
The Nook Color uses a standard micro USB cable, doesn't it? You can pick these up by the dozen from eBay or local retailers.
No, it's not a standard micro USB. A standard one will work, but take a long time to charge.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Sorry to hear that.

I've had steamy conversations here with other forum members when they insist in recommending B&N readers to International customers. Hopefully and unfortunatly for you, this can serve as an example to illustrate how important is to buy an electronic device which truly has local or International support.

But like afv011 said, it is not B&N faults. They are not in the obligation of providing any type of customer support to a device that is clearly being marketed for USA customers only.

The Nook Color uses a proprietary cable. That was another reason that moved the balance against Nook Color and later I returned it to Best Buy here in USA. But check on ebay and see if you can find a third party vendor there and get a cable's replacement. They usually ship outside of USA for an additional cost.

Last edited by jocampo; 06-14-2011 at 12:50 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the nook color cable is proprietary but not the USB port on the nook color itself. any standard micro usb cord will work. I have used many different ones on occasion.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the nook color cable is proprietary but not the USB port on the nook color itself. any standard micro usb cord will work. I have used many different ones on occasion.
Yeah, even the USB-cable that came with my KindleDX works like a charm.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In my opinion you both bought innadequate products: you, becuase BN wouldn't send you a new cable and your Mrs becuase she had to call tech support. The old addage my pals in the IT industry tell me is that if you need to call tech support for anything at all you have just bought the wrong product. In my last thirty years in the IT community I have been buying and using various tech and I have never ever called tech support for anything, the products should work right out of the box.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote