Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Adiman423
Adiman423 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting from PDF to ePub

So I have just downloaded and installed calibre and have been trying to convert the attached PDF to an ePub which can be read on an iPad. However, the ePub which calibre produced(see attached) did not come out properly. Does anyone know why it does not come properly?

Hope to hear from someone soon,
Adiman423
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 100517_pulse_109_104.pdf (2.15 MB, 2437 views)
File Type: epub Pulse Magazine Summer 2010 - Unknown.epub (1.84 MB, 281 views)
Adiman423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Why not just use the PRF reader 'goodreader' on the iPad, instead of converting?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Adiman423
Adiman423 began at the beginning.

Device: none
because a project that I am doing requires me to create a version of the PDF which can be read on an iPad
Adiman423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Your PDF is multi-column which is currently out of scope for calibre epub-conversion as i understand. There is work underway for two-column PDF support but this wouldn't help you.

Looking at your PDF i doubt there is any conversion tool which will create a good epub version of your PDF.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiman423 View Post
because a project that I am doing requires me to create a version of the PDF which can be read on an iPad
GoodReader is a PDF reader that will allow the PDF to be read on the IPAD There are other PDF readers if you don't like that one.

If you want an EPUB, try exporting text from your PDF in a PDF editor, then cut and paste it into the EPUB using an EPUB editor, like Sigil.

Nothing will give you an EPUB conversion that looks like the multi-column PDF you started with.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Your PDF is multi-column which is currently out of scope for calibre epub-conversion as i understand. There is work underway for two-column PDF support but this wouldn't help you.

Looking at your PDF i doubt there is any conversion tool which will create a good epub version of your PDF.
I haven't looked the file in question over, since I'm no expert. I have had acceptable results with using Mobipocket Creator to extract the text from two-column PDFs, but that involves some manual editing of the resulting HTML before making into a PRC (which Calibre likes quite well). Maybe I'm overcomplicating my life with this, but I really want all my e-books, both ePub and PDF, in one app if at all possible.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That PDF will never convert well to any other format.

As was suggested before, use Goodreader to display that PDF on the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
With the regularity of questions cropping up regarding PDF conversion, and the amount of duplicated/similar questions, would it be worth having a calibre sub-forum dedicated to PDF conversion?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Not really - it's the same five questions over and over. Maybe worth having a sticky with all five of those answers.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
feel free to start a new thread with the common PDF answers, I'll stick it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote