Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
libraryaddict
libraryaddict began at the beginning.

Device: Sony? convince me
Question Software advice needed

So, I finally took the plunge, and my PRS-505 is in the post (before anybody asks, it's silver, and non, je ne regrette rien...)

I was wondering, do I need to install the Sony software, or should I just go straight for Calibre? And if I do install the Sony software and then change to Calibre, will I have problems migrating books across?

Any help appreciated - thank you!
libraryaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
What I personally do is use both. I import my books into calibre to convert them and get the metadata right.
I then import them into the sony library (from the calibre folder) to check the appearance of the books, and upload them to my PRS.
Uploading books using the sony software will pre-paginate LRF (BBeB) files so that they open quickly on the reader. This gets much more important for very large books that would otherwise take several minutes to paginate on the reader itself.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You can install & use both with no problems as long as you, (a) give Calibre it's own folder for library-space & let it manage the contents and (b) don't try & use both at the same time to update the 505 - for safety, eject & reconnect the device before switching if you want to update the device with both.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
libraryaddict
libraryaddict began at the beginning.

Device: Sony? convince me
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!
libraryaddict is offline   Reply With Quote