Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
NineOne
NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
KT Won't charge. Light turns green, nothing happens.

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to advise if they've had this or a similar problem before. I'll preface this by saying that I emailed Kobo support about this (see below).

A few weeks ago I loaded a new book onto the KT via Calibre. I read a few pages, put it to sleep, read a few pages later, put it to sleep and then life got in the way and I wasn't able to get back to it for a while. By the time I did the battery had drained and it said please charge.

I plugged it into the cable on my PC (I have a USB port I always leave the cable plugged into). The light turned green, but nothing happened. I figured maybe it was totally drained, so I left it a few hours. When I came back, still nothing. I've tried different USB ports and different PCs all with no change.

Any ideas what I can do while I wait to hear from support?

-----

My Kobo Support experience thus far:
The 800 number was ringing busy, so I emailed them on the 9th. On the 10th they emailed me back requesting all of the information that I'd included in my original email. So on the 10th I replied with all of the same information. On the 12th they replied that the issue has been escalated to their Tier 2 support and I should receive an update email shortly (verbatim).

Today, being 5 days later, I've had no response. I called their 800 number and spoke to someone who read my email correspondence out loud and told me that they don't have any kind of ETA, nor do they have a time frame for responses, but that I will, at some point, get a response.
NineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you have any AC adapters that can do USB charging? Any of those would be worth a try,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
NineOne
NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just tried that, sorry it took a while, I couldn't find my AC adapter from my phone. It didn't work, it's the same thing. It feels like it's not making a solid connection at the Kobo part of it.

It's now been over a week since I first contacted Kobo. Colour me extremely unimpressed.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Sounds like a physical problem, maybe the cable for your screen is loose/disconnected. Definitely pester Kobo for support.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOne View Post
It's now been over a week since I first contacted Kobo. Colour me extremely unimpressed.
Does sound like a physical problem with the reader. Go to getsatisfaction.com/kobo and post your problem, the fact you haven't heard anything for a week and ticket # and you might be able to get your ticket looked at a little faster. Wouldn't hurt to mention you've tried it with an AC adapter since that rules out a bunch of problems (assuming they bother to read that part). As you've discovered, while the Kobo reader itself is awesome, the customer service is sadly lacking even on issues like this that should be straight forward.

And check your e-mail spam folders -- sometimes responses do get caught there.

Last edited by robko; 01-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
shaf
shaf began at the beginning.

For the 2 Incidents I've reported to Kobo Support in both cases the only time I've received responses is when I've complained on getsatisfaction.com/kobo.
shaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
NineOne

Thanks everyone. I've just posted over there so we'll see what happens. Either way, if I can help it, nobody else I know is buying a Kobo. I regret that a bunch of my friends have bought them on my recommendation.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Try resetting the Touch. Using a paper clip, not a sharp pin, look for a very small hole at the middle of the back of the Touch about 2 cms from the bottom. Hold it down for only a second or so. You should feel the click. Maybe that will be enough to get it's attention and it will start up. Also see http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...0my%20eReader?

(I can't recall the last time I've used a paper clip for it's intended purpose.)
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
NineOne

Well I posted on getsatisfaction and had an email within 10 minutes from a Kobo employee, who asked me about my extended warranty details even though I'd told them in my original reply I didn't have one. So we were off to a good start.

It turns out with their limited warranty, the repair option is to send it back, insured, at your expense (which is reasonable) where they'll determine whether the fault is a manufacturing defect or your own. If the latter, they'll give you the option of buying a new one for $60USD (which I think is odd as it's a Canadian company, shipping from Canada).
Anyways, I know whatever happened was no fault of my own, but I wasn't keen on taking the chance. So I tried the reset button, nothing. I plugged it in so the green light came on, THEN tried the reset button- nothing.

I borrowed my friend's charging cable, and for some reason that fit pretty snugly into my Kobo, where mine felt like it was loose. Still though, the green light came on and nothing happened. I said screw it, I'll deal with it later, and left it alone.

This morning it's charged and back to normal. No idea what happened, but there it is.

At any rate, thanks again for the help, everyone. Based on my lack of service experience, I have officially made my last Kobo recommendation ever, and will, from here on out, tell people to avoid them like the plague.