Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I just got an email from Southwest:

Quote:
Dear Eschwartz:

No more powering down! Starting today, you will be able to use your small portable electronic devices, including smartphones, tablets, and e-readers, in "airplane mode" from gate-to-gate on all Southwest Airlines® flights!

Our satellite-based WiFi allows you to enjoy uninterrupted access to free live and on-demand TV compliments of DISH® or for $8 a day per device, you can stay connected onboard all day, even during stops and connections.

We're proud to be the only airline to offer you gate-to-gate connectivity on the majority of our fleet. So as you get ready to head out for your Thanksgiving travel, be sure to bring your fully charged WiFi-enabled device and headphones with you to stay connected and entertained above and below 10,000 feet!*

For more information, visit southwest.com/wifi.

See you onboard soon!
So finally Southwest will allow you to keep your Kindles on!

The gate-to-gate WiFi looks quite nice too. I wonder what the other airlines are thinking about this?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I just got an email from Southwest:

So finally Southwest will allow you to keep your Kindles on!

The gate-to-gate WiFi looks quite nice too. I wonder what the other airlines are thinking about this?
Sweet! I'm flying Southwest in a few weeks, so this is welcome news.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My husband says United was on board late last week. No more "turn off your electronics" at takeoff/landing.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 11-21-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: can't spell.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
My husband says United was on board late last week. No more "turn off you electronics" at takeoff/landing.
Thanks! I have been looking for United, as we are flying them for Christmas.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yes, I can finally stop hiding my Kindle during the final take off and landing checks.

I mean, goodie, I can use my Kindle during take off and landing!

Careful, I admitted to doing the same on an earlier thread and got BLASTED by some of the holier-than-thou crowd. Guess I wasn't so reckless, feckless, selfish or such a horrible person after all
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
So all you fliers, what are they actually saying/doing? Does the takeoff/landing announcement mention airplane mode? Are they checking?

Just curious. Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So all you fliers, what are they actually saying/doing? Does the takeoff/landing announcement mention airplane mode? Are they checking?

Just curious. Thanks.
Not all airlines have received permission from the FAA yet, according to my husband. He said on his United flights it's been OK, but he was on a subcontracted flight on Mesa, and on that flight they made the announcement to turn off all electronics.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
They have been saying to use airplane mode. They are not checking any more than they previously checked to make sure the cell phone was turned off in your pocket.
I guess they're counting on the number of cooperative courteous members of society to be adequately higher than the number self-important jerks who think they know better than the avionics engineers and the FAA and so the rules for the common good should not apply to them.

Not for nothin'. Just sayin'.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Careful, I admitted to doing the same on an earlier thread and got BLASTED by some of the holier-than-thou crowd. Guess I wasn't so reckless, feckless, selfish or such a horrible person after all
You should blast them for being holier-than-thou, especially where it makes no sense.

I'm with you.

And so are they: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...o-kill-us-all/
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #40
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
read freely on BA!

with zero fanfare, BA is now allowing use of electronic devices in safe mode, yuppiee! They haven't updated yet their safety video/audio, but I've done it :-) and it looks this has been possible for more than a week already:
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/gl...oard_Dec14.pdf
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks for posting that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I was speaking with a Frontier flight attendant recently, who opined that she doesn't see their management investing in the necessary followup stuff to the FAA announcement anytime soon. Sorry for those who fly them!

I did have to shut off my audiobook for landing on a recent Horizon (commuter subsidiary of Alaska Airlines) flight as we were to land in Seattle using "instruments" because of fog conditions.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's good to know, paola! I was on a British Airways domestic UK flight mid-last week (i.e. after the 14th), and we still had to turn off electronics. The flight was so short though that I didn't even bother to get my electronics out and just entertained myself with their BusinessLife magazine.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
No, you got "blasted" for your "the rules don't apply to ME" attitude. You may think that the rules are stupid, but refusing to obey them until personally instructed to do by the flight attendants is just imposing additional work on people who have better things to do than deal with people who consider that they're "special" and that public announcements don't apply to them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may think that the rules are stupid, but refusing to obey them until personally instructed to do by the flight attendants is just imposing additional work on people who have better things to do than deal with people who consider that they're "special" and that public announcements don't apply to them.
One of my number one rules is to always listen to the people on the front lines, since they have no say in the actual rules that they have to enforce.

Of course I had other issues as well: a lot of people like treating electronics as little black boxes with little, if any, understanding about their impact. As SeaBookGuy noted, passengers were asked to turn off electronics during an instruments landing. That implies that there is some concern about active devices during landing, may it be due to RF interference or just because they wanted the passengers' full attention during a more risky procedure. Another thing to remember is that pilots and regulators usually know much more about the rational behind the rules because a significant part of their job is to ensure passenger safety.