Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
Possible problem solution?

Hi All,
Been reading in several threads about problems. In particular, seem to be many that might be related to SD card corruption. Just got my new Cybook today and when connecting to my computer via USB to look at the files, got a pretty nice ESD (electrostatic discharge). I have had this problem before with card readers, for example. ESD can cause quite a number of strange events and if the Cybook is prone to building up a charge, it could be a source of some of the problems. I would suggest that one touch a grounded source while holding the cybook, allowing any static buildup to be discharged before connecting the USB or inserting an SD card.

Don't know if this will solve anything, but it is good practice.
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hum... never happened to me.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Me neither – but by the way, how do you notice an ESD?

Hilsen til Danmark
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post

Hilsen til Danmark
Clearly, it is a very shocking experience! One might even say hair-raising!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Hilsen til Danmark
You've never got a shock touching someone or something on a dry winters day in a carpet room?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
General wierdness

Quote:

Hilsen til Danmark
It isn't easy, that's why I brought it up. It can be as obvious as your computer rebooting in extreme cases, to data corruption in mild cases, to nothing. I was made aware of it via my computer and the built-in cardreader. Inserting CF cards in particular can cause the reader to essentially disappear from the computer. Need to reboot and have the computer find the hardware again. Problem is solved by simply touching the side of the computer case before inserting the card.

Today, when connecting the Cybook to my computer for the first time, it had a fairly big ESD and caused the computer to reboot. Got me to wondering if the Cybook, which uses charge to make the e-ink work, might easily build up a charge.

Anyway, no claims that this is the source of problems, but it is good practice to ground things before connecting.

Dana
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You've never got a shock touching someone or something on a dry winters day in a carpet room?
Sure, but how about ESDs from devices (such as the Cybook) that do not shock you, but other devices/memory (such as an SD card)? I never noticed such an ESD, but if you can't notice it easily, it might have happened without me noticing at all.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying, drl. So you're only able to notice an ESD by the (mis-)behaviour of the hardware?

Last edited by IceHand; 05-20-2008 at 03:44 PM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Hmmm. If ESD is the problem it would explain how erratic the errors are, with some people always having problems and some never, and some have no problems and then BAM!. I wonder if the problems are greater in places with low humidity or when the air is particularly dry, when you'd expect shocks.
How would you prevent them again? Touch something? Like what?
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote